Need a Car For Daily Commute. First Time Buyer

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,
I am learning driving & looking to buy the first car for me & my family (Mum, Bro, Bhabhi). I don't have any first-hand knowledge about cars even I wasn't interested in cars until June, 2016 when I felt the need for it during my long commuting to office. I work in the banking industry where transfers, rural postings are common. I am currently posted at a rural place about 35-40 kms from home. If things go normal, I will stay posted there for the next 3 years. Though the main reason I am opting to buy a car is for commuting, this will also be our first family car & so it will have a special place. We may take it for weekend rides to places where we couldn't just for the reason of not having a car. I live in Varanasi which is a small city compared to Lucknow, Patna, Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, etc. The roads here are heavily congested & I live in one of the most densely populated areas of the country. However, being a small town, the congestion is only short lived such that its radius is about 10-15 kms from my home. Coming to the commuting part, my current posting is about 40 kms from home hence, I would travel a distance of ~80 kms daily. The road is a mix of smooth, potholes.
> Your Budget: I have 3 lacs cash with me. I want to take the minimum from family savings.

> New or Used: New. Although Used ones prices are tempting but don't have any knowledge in this area hence dropped.

> Your Location: Varanasi, UP

> Top Five Priorities: Low maintenance, Comfort, Fuel efficient

> Monthly Running: 2000 kms

> Type of Fuel:
Don't know

> For What Purpose: Regular & off-roading

> Seating Capacity: 5 Seater is ok.

> Type of Segment: Hatchback. MUV if budget allows [roll]

Thanks

Re: Need a car for daily commute --first time buyer

You can consider the maruti celerio , since you want low maintanence car and peace of mind. Overall it is a good package and the average of both petrol and diesel is awesome.

Need a car for daily commute --first time buyer

If you want complete peace of mind and less service cost then any car from Maruti can be an option although those car may not be the safest option. If you want a safe bet check Ford Figo or VW polo. Both are good car but price will be bit high. If you are looking for MUV then ertiga would be a good option.

Re: Need a car for daily commute --first time buyer

Have a look at the Nano GenX. The Manual XT variant costs under 3 lacs. It has all that you want. Great space and Comfort, decent equipment levels, decent power till 80kmph and is quite reliable as well. It is safer than any Alto, Kwid or Eon as well. You cant get a much better comfortable car under 4L.
If you are looking for used cars, you can get some very old Swift or i10 or Vista.
There aren't much options under 4L.
Also since you are okay with MUV, try the Tata Venture (if you don't have problem about owning a van) which is the only decently comfortable diesel van.
I am sure you wont be able to get any other modern MUV for that price.

Last edited:

Top Bottom