First Car - Budget Rs.5 Lakhs

Thread Starter #1
Hello All,

I am going to buy my first car in a month and my knowledge in this area is very poor. Me and my family shortlisted some cars by looking the style and not the internals.

1. Renault Kwid 1000CC
2. Nissan Micra Active XL
3. Honda Brio Ex MT
4. Swift LXI
5. Chevrolet Beat

My monthly travel would be 500-750 Km maximum.

Requesting all to share your opinions.

Re: First Car - Budget 5 Lakhs

Hello All,

I am going to buy my first car in a month and my knowledge in this area is very poor. Me and my family shortlisted some cars by looking the style and not the internals.

1. Renault Kwid 1000CC
2. Nissan Micra Active XL
3. Honda Brio Ex MT
4. Swift LXI
5. Chevrolet Beat

My monthly travel would be 500-750 Km maximum.

Requesting all to share your opinions.
All the cars in your list are okay except Swift, and that too the base variant.
Indian Automotive market situation is that there is always a top end variant of another car at the price of the basic variant of another. Why would you buy a cramped and flimsy Swift, that too a base model with your hard earned money?

Kwid 1.0: I never liked the Kwid because of it's apalling crash safety and pathetic overall quality. Yes, the 1.0 engine will give it the much needed peppiness. But still, I would like to warn you that even if you opt for airbags, your survival chances are very poor in the Kwid.

Micra Activ: A good car, let down by the average service network. If you have a service center close-by, then it shouldn't be a problem. But, this car is already dated and soon to be replaced by a new model.

Brio: Not much value, but quite spacious. Pathetic Boot space too. A new facelift model is coming soon.

Beat: Very capable car, but not very spacious. Good VFM. If the service is good in your area, then it's fine.

I am surprised to see that you haven't considered the latest super-hit Tiago from Tata Motors. It is by far the best car under 6L. Tata have also proved their reliability and quality with the Tiago. You might be able to get the XM or XT variant for 5L.
Well, there are a few Kerala members in the Tiago Owners group and they are quite happy. Anyway, check with the Tata service center near you, take a test drive and see if it satisfies you.
Happy choosing.

Last edited:

Yeah even i suggest tata tiago. Right now in this segment that is better. Close your eyes and go for tiago, definitely it will not disappoint you.

Hi,

First of all I would advice you to hike your budget at-least by RS60000.

1 Tata TIAGO XZ- If you go for this car then go for xz variant.It will cost you near Rs550000 in kochi ,trust me!it's worth it.

2 Swift is a good car,but it is unsafe,safety of your family and yourself will be at great risk in case of a mishap.If you still want to go for it ,then go for the DLX variant and please add airbags and ABS to it .

maruti-swift-dlx-limited-edition-e1468313809490.jpg

Even I am in the market for a new car right now,while doing my research I was going through long term review and ownership of these two cars and almost everyone seem to be happy with these two.They are good all rounder.

1 Nissan micra active-Topmost variant ,you can bring down the price through discount.

2 Renault pulse - Again good car overall.You can bring down price through discount.

These two car will be launching soon(before diwali) if you want to wait for them you can wait.

Maruti ignis.

1021706.jpg

Tata kite 5

Tata-KITE-5-side-at-the-2016-Geneva-Motor-Show.jpg

Do not go for kwid ,not worth it.

Thread Starter #5
Hi all,

Thank you for your suggestions.
I have not seen much Tata cars in kerala other than Indica. But I will definitely have a test drive of Tiago and it is included in my list. Also Renault pulse seems to be a good one by features and look. Omitted Kwid and Brio from my list and also Swift.
This is my modified list
1. Tata Tiago
2. Nissan Micra active
3. Renault Pulse
4. Chevrolet Beat

Any other suggestions?

Hello Nibin,

First thing first, don't compromise with safety. A car that is unsafe shouldn't be our car!

Tiago is a perfect choice for your budget. Get the topend petrol version and you'll have peace of mind. [:)]

The other cars you have listed plus Figo, Bolt, Grand i10, Etios will cost higher then your budget and even if you increase your budget to 6L, you'll get basic variant. Not good at all.

I also suggest you to look for used cars as well. For 5L, you will get a well maintained topend hatchback or even sedan. i.e Punto, Polo, Vento, Linea, City, Verna, Rapid, Fiesta and etc.

Thanks...
Best Regards

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thank you for your suggestions.
I have not seen much Tata cars in kerala other than Indica. But I will definitely have a test drive of Tiago and it is included in my list. Also Renault pulse seems to be a good one by features and look. Omitted Kwid and Brio from my list and also Swift.
This is my modified list
1. Tata Tiago
2. Nissan Micra active
3. Renault Pulse
4. Chevrolet Beat

Any other suggestions?
The Tata Tiago is clearly better than this list.The Beat is also a good car but space is a bit small and is overpriced.My vote is for Tiago.What is your budget ? IMHO,You must always get the Top-end or the Variant just below that.Safety is very important and the resale value will also live on better than other variants.500 KM to 750 KM,Both Diesel and Petrol would be good.I would suggest the Diesel Revotorq XZ which will be under Rs.7 Lakhs On-road,And the Petrol Version will be under Rs.6 Lakhs On-road.The Diesel has a great fuel efficiency.The Tiago is an amazing car,Well worth the price.All the best for your purchase

Top Bottom