Hyundai Creta SX+ Petrol Automatic or Creta SX+ Diesel Automatic?

Thread Starter #1
Hi..... I need some urgent advice.... I am in 2 minds about buying the Creta SX+ Petrol Automatic or the Creta SX+ Diesel Automatic version, My running is close to 700 to 800 KM per month and mostly in city only. What I learn from reviews on Team BHP etc is that the Creta SX+ Petrol Automatic will return a mileage of 6 to 7 KMPL only in Bangalore bumper to bumper which is very disappointing, but in Bangalore the price difference between the 2 variant is 2.10 Lks which is huge. Also generally I keep a car for about 5-6 years only so my other concern is with a mileage that low will I get a good resale value for the Creta Petrol Automatic ? On the other hand will the Creta Diesel Automatic be effected on its resale value because of the probable 10 year ban on the Diesel cars ?

First of all, having a bulky automatic car will indeed get low mileage. Especially in place like Bangalore. But for that reason, going for Diese doesn't make sense. You can go for another good car, with good GC + Automatic.

AFAIK Diesel Automatic is also not good at mileage, but compared to petrol it is tad better. If Petrol AT gives 7, I assume Diesel AT will give you around 10!

Thread Starter #3
Which other car SUV kind with Automatic giving good milage ? Between the 2 will the Hyundai Creta SX+ Petrol Automatic have a good resale value 5 years down the line ? Will the Hyundai Creta SX+ Petrol Automatic give a min mileage of 8 or is it going to be as bad as 6 ?

^^ Resale value for Petrol Automatic will be good, compared to Petrol Manual. Regarding mileage, my guess would be 6-8 for B2B! Seriously, BLR traffic is THE worst this part of India. And expecting 10 out of it in such big vehicle is plain greedy bro! Even if you get 8, you should give me treat!

Thread Starter #5
Yes B2B even I am guessing 6 TO 7 KM/L which is why I was thinking if Creta SX+ Diesel Automatic would be a better option ?

Let's do some basic math to help sort this out.

Assume the Petrol gives you 7 Kpl and the Diesel returns 10 Kpl.
Let's also assume Petrol price = 65 Rs/Litre and Diesel price = 55 Rs/Litre.
Price difference between the vehicles is Rs. 210,000.
At 800 Km/month, you will run the vehicle 48,000 Km in 5 years.

Diesel use in 5 years: 4,800 L => Rs. 264,000
Petrol use in 5 years: 6,857 L => Rs. 445, 714
Fuel savings with Diesel: Rs. 181,714 over 5 years

Overall savings with Petrol: Rs. 28,286

So by these calculations you would save money by buying the Petrol. Further, I'd expect the Petrol to have a higher resale value than the Diesel, adding to your savings.

Note: These are simplified calculations, feel free to tweak as desired. You could even put it in Excel, if you are like me.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Yes B2B even I am guessing 6 TO 7 KM/L which is why I was thinking if Creta SX+ Diesel Automatic would be a better option ?
As neatly explained by @Viru, Petrol will be your best bet. Not only you save money upfront, you will get better resale too. I choose Petrol over Diesel even with 1000 km/ month usage, because I save a lot with initial amount as well as on long-term maintenance! Personally, I prefer Petrol over Diesel, especially if usage is very low.

Thread Starter #9
Thanks a Ton, yes this helps. makes a lot of sense also considering that the service cost of the Diesel car is going to be more than the Petrol which will only add up to the savings on a Petrol.

Hi rselva. thanks for the tip, so assuming I book now, the waiting period of the Creta Petrol AT is close to 2 months will that mean since I have booked earlier I will not be effected by the price hike or will that mean since the car will be delivered only in Sep will I have to pay the higher price

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont know exactly about Banglore however in north India diesel SUV have better resale value. Petrol cars specially SUV's are close to none. Its a rare sight.

check the resale value in your area and then decide.

Top Bottom