New Ford Endeavour vs Toyota Fortuner vs Mitsubishi Pajero Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Guys,

I think its time for me to upgrade my car and I've shortlisted or must say i have only 3 options
1 - Ford Endeavour
2 - Mitsubishi Sports
3 - Toyota Fortuner

Now, my primary need is to buy an SUV - A real SUV that is good on Highways as I do long road trips that can handle offloading as well when needed. This is because I go to places like Himachal, Ladakh, Spiti and plan to go to N.East, Bhutan, Nepal, Thailand and maybe to Gilgit and Chna side of Karakoram highway and do some serious off-roading (not the RFC style though). Last time we went to Tashi Gang and got stuck in loose gravel and Snow on the mud track that took us almost 90mins of struggle in sub zero temperatures, gusty winds and cold burns 'coz of ice cold glacier water... . It was the wake up call to buy a 4x4 and be prepared for such terrains when I do occasional off-roading.

I've test driven all of the above and my heart and mind is shouting for the Ford Endeavour as I think it has the best features as of today at the price what we pay and also it meets most of my demands from a new SUV.

I'm not sure of Ford's service network in Bangalore and in India but few friends have given me an average feedback on their experiences. Toyota I think has a better service network and service quality but I' didn't like Fortuner too much. I mean it did perform ok on the road and off-road but some of the features in Ford are better than existing Fortuner like Hill Descend control, Terrain Management System with a Dial, Sun roof and Mooon roof etc and somewhere I felt the car also performed better in off-road conditions than Fortuner + the Toyota sales guy was in a Hurry to go back so couldn't drive on Expressway :(

I liked Pajero but comparing it with the new 2016 model that is already launched in other countries - i felt I should either wait for that to launch in India and then decide or as Ford Endy meets the need - I should just go ahead with it ! Another downside of Pajero is the service network and parts availability just in case I would need anything - few of my friends have said BIG NO to it !!

Now I need help in taking a decision to choose between Ford and Fortuner. Any Endy owners here ? I saw only one review by the Doc here and on T-BHP as well for the "black knight". Would really need suggestions if you're happy with the car and the service etc..

After going through YouTube videos on Ford Vs. Fortuner (current Indian model) - Ford looks promising. Don't know the long run view! Ford also has good following in AU and TH as its sold as EVEREST over there. Not that fortunes doesn't :)

Also I've approached 3 dealers.
Cauvery - was ok. The guy who came for the test drive didn't knew much about off-roading features and couldn't explain most of the stuff.
Metro - didn't even turn up for the test drive after promising 2 times
Elite ford - yes. The entire experience was good. Came on time as scheduled (or 35mins late). Explained whatever he knew. Was patient during the drive - i took him off-road and on-road for almost 1 Hrs. Followed up next day for the feedback and is working on the Finance options now. Only challenge is - asking for 3~4months waiting... but I'm not in hurry as well.

So who would be a good dealer to go for?

Any suggestions on Finance options, Tips etc would help as well.

Another thing is I would be selling my current 2011 Scorpio GLE that has done 50k kms to buy this. What would you think the best market value could be for a 2011 Scorpio? and how to sell it to get the max money?

Thanks

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: The New Ford Endeavour Vs Fortuner Vs Pajero Sport

Buddy, In simple words and in brief, if I am to choose between the 3 then I will go for Black Color Endeavor. It is gigantic in looks and equally powerful in performance too. Interior wise too the Endeavor is worth a buy. Pajero too is a good SUV with a charming legacy. However, I am not very confident of ASC network of Mitsubishi. Coming to Fortuner, the present one is now looking quite dated and obsolete. Toyota Fortuner has so far had a good run but now with cars like Endeavor, the Fortuner lacks the appeal in my personal view. ASC wise Toyota is notch higher than Ford for sure but the service of Ford too now has improved a lot. Having attended their launches and heard about their customer oriented policies for car servicing, it would be fine and hassle free to buy a FORD vehicle now.

Regards

Akash

Re: The New Ford Endeavour Vs Fortuner Vs Pajero Sport

mistubushi may have a sub standard service and less dealerships.on the basis of legacy , my choice will be

pajero sport
fortuner
endevaour

Re: The New Ford Endeavour vs Fortuner vs Pajero Sport

Guys,

I think its time for me to upgrade my car and I've shortlisted or must say i have only 3 options
1 - Ford Endeavour
2 - Mitsubishi Sports
3 - Toyota Fortuner
Hi Amit - I do not own any of above mentioned Cars, but as per my view you should go for Endy eyes closed. This is better than Fortunner in all aspects [clap]
Do not even consider Mitsubishi [frustration] we know how much they are present in our market

Also I've approached 3 dealers.
Cauvery - was ok. The guy who came for the test drive didn't knew much about off-roading features and couldn't explain most of the stuff.
Metro - didn't even turn up for the test drive after promising 2 times
Elite ford - yes. The entire experience was good. Came on time as scheduled (or 35mins late). Explained whatever he knew. Was patient during the drive - i took him off-road and on-road for almost 1 Hrs. Followed up next day for the feedback and is working on the Finance options now. Only challenge is - asking for 3~4months waiting... but I'm not in hurry as well.

So who would be a good dealer to go for?
I own a Ford Fiesta Classic and my elder brother owns a Ford EcoSport. Because of these reasons I have experience with all these dealers. So let me put my experience below about them.

1. Cauvery - Are known do give better Service among three and from sales experience wise they are average. We also had similar experience with them and did not buy cars with them as they did not had our choice of color and were not ready for any discounts

2. Metro - I also had the exact experience, they never turned up for test drives, in my experience they are bit lazy and looks not much interested in selling

3. Elite - They are best among three when it comes to sales. We got good deals for both purchase here and also got the colors of our choice. Their Service used to be good, but I had some bitter experience and also it was far from my place so I have stopped going to them and I am going to Latangi in EC. How ever my brother is still going to them and he has good experience.

By putting down my experience with these dealers, I hope I was able to help you [;)]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
Hi Amit - I do not own any of above mentioned Cars, but as per my view you should go for Endy eyes closed. This is better than Fortunner in all aspects [clap]
Do not even consider Mitsubishi [frustration] we know how much they are present in our market

I own a Ford Fiesta Classic and my elder brother owns a Ford EcoSport. Because of these reasons I have experience with all these dealers. So let me put my experience below about them.

1. Cauvery - Are known do give better Service among three and from sales experience wise they are average. We also had similar experience with them and did not buy cars with them as they did not had our choice of color and were not ready for any discounts

2. Metro - I also had the exact experience, they never turned up for test drives, in my experience they are bit lazy and looks not much interested in selling

3. Elite - They are best among three when it comes to sales. We got good deals for both purchase here and also got the colors of our choice. Their Service used to be good, but I had some bitter experience and also it was far from my place so I have stopped going to them and I am going to Latangi in EC. How ever my brother is still going to them and he has good experience.

By putting down my experience with these dealers, I hope I was able to help you [;)]
Thanks Pradeep. That really helps. Im also getting inclined to Elite so lets see this all unfolds and materialises.

Does anyone know when the new fortunes model will be launched in India? I'm hearing that it is due either this September or early 2017? I'm not sure if it is worth waiting for it but the specs look good of the one launched in TH and AU..

Last edited by a moderator:

@pahujaamit : The new Ford Endeavour is best among all the three you choose for.

The top variant Endeavour 3.2 AT Titanium has the big list of premium features and the best part is the selective all terrain system that work superb of any kind of road.

No doubt Pajero and Forturner are also the best SUV's for CITY, HIGHWAY and tough terrain, but the ride and handling in Endeavour is unmatched.

The quality of Endeavour is superb starting from body paint, interior plastics, dashboard, seats and everything you name.

I haven't driven Pajero yet but driving Endeavour against Forturner was altogether a very different and amazing experience. Noise level inside the cabin with intelligent sound system makes driving a pleasure.

Thread Starter #7

@pahujaamit : The new Ford Endeavour is best among all the three you choose for.

The top variant Endeavour 3.2 AT Titanium has the big list of premium features and the best part is the selective all terrain system that work superb of any kind of road.

No doubt Pajero and Forturner are also the best SUV's for CITY, HIGHWAY and tough terrain, but the ride and handling in Endeavour is unmatched.

The quality of Endeavour is superb starting from body paint, interior plastics, dashboard, seats and everything you name.

I haven't driven Pajero yet but driving Endeavour against Forturner was altogether a very different and amazing experience. Noise level inside the cabin with intelligent sound system makes driving a pleasure.
I haven't driven Pajero yet but driving Endeavour against Forturner was altogether a very different and amazing experience. Noise level inside the cabin with intelligent sound system makes driving a pleasure. - Yes I totally agree with you. Out of the 3 I have test driven now, I feel Ford Endy to be the winner in terms of handling, off-roading and Whisper quiet cabin. Somehow, the only thing which is bothering me is the choice of dealer now ...

@pahujaamit : Please do try to buy a top variant 3.2 AT Titanium, so that you can enjoy every part of the technology that Endeavour has in it.

Negotiate on price and yes do check out dark color shade of this SUV so that the chrome garnishing outcomes on it.

Thread Starter #9
At a Weird Decision Point: What Would You Do?

Hello All,

I' again at a weird point in my life where I'm contemplating purchasing a new car for my ever-growing desires. I have been thinking of upgrading myself from quite sometime now and started looking our for some good options. Finally I decided to go for Ford Endeavour as it looks like a good car for my needs. I 'm quite impressed with the car's capabilities on-road and off-road. I compared this with Fortuner and Pajero but none of them fit the bill. Endy, however checked in all the boxes for me UNTIL I started asking myself will this car give me what I want to do with it? Let me explain what I'm saying and thinking and this is where I would need some good advice.

I stay in Bangalore and my real passion is to drive around the country to shoot beautiful landscapes and culture of our country. Currently I have a Scorpio (2 WD) and am pretty happy with it and got used to Scorpio style of driving on highways and city as well. If there's a reason to change, that would be to get a proper 4x4 so I can be worry free when we drive in Himalayas and other places where you would want to have a 4x4 and not a 2 WD vehicle.

For this reason, I started looking out for a try 4x4 vehicle that could be driven in the city and as well as on the highway and mountains alike and is better than Scorpio in machinery, comfort and handling. Hence the selection of Ford Endeavour at a price point of nearly 40lakhs OTR.

Now if I look at my drives in Himalayas, I normally fly down to delhi or Chandigarh and then proceed further in a Zoom car to my destination like Spiti, Leh - Ladakh, Himachal etc. This got me thinking that even if I buy the Ford Endy, I wouldn't be able to take that beast everytime from Bangalore to Himachal and Other parts of Himalayas.. then is it worth spending 40 lakhs on a vehicle which will be probably dragged inside the city or occasional off-roading around BLR? Instead, I can probably hire a Zoomcar everytime I need a vehicle for such trips - max 2~3 in a year. That's going to be cheaper I guess and also I wouldn't have to spend those 40lakhs in one shot. I know the Zoomcar is not that clean and maintained but they're not bad either as I've done couple of trips using them. Are there any other good car rental companies who provide 4x4 vehicles?

I'm in this dilemma and not able to take a call. I need suggestions from the folks here to guide me on this aspect. I know its probably insane thinking but yes I don't want to buy a car like Endy and then leave it for city drives.

What would you do if you'll be in my situation?

Last edited:
Re: At a weird decision point - what would you do?

Is Ford Endeavour really 40L OTR?? I though it would be around 20-30max. Please have a look at Hexa 4*4 as well even if not planning to buy.

Re: At a Weird Decision Point: What Would You Do?

Hello All

What would you do if you'll be in my situation?
Hello pahujaamit

In your place, I would have got a Mahindra XUV 4WD for half the price, invested the rest and hired a Zoomcar for Himalayas.

The question you are asking is very complex. Only you can answer that. If you can financially afford a 40 Lac car (is it really 40 in Bangalore?) without disturbing your investments, then go with what the heart says. I have seen Pajero and Fortuner owners who never did offroading in their cars. They bought it for the road presense and abuse friendly nature, which itself is enough reason I think.

Otherwise, you are correct that dragging a 4WD car in city conditions for on-road use will be a waste. You can stay with your 2WD Scorpio or if the upgrade bug has got you, consider some 2WD options as well. A 2WD with good offroad capabilities can do a fair deal of mild offroading.

Go through the below thread, it will help you. Do keep us updated on what you decide.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/automotive-library/5564-what-car-should-bought-what-income.html

PS. Did I tell you that your writing style is very engaging? :biggrin:

Regards,
Alpha

Last edited:

Go Endy Amit. I have driven the new Endy 3.2 quite extensively and what an impressive piece of machinery it is. Personally, I found it better than the Fortuner.

kkn13

Suspended

Im in a similar scenario
I drew the following conclusions-

1. Endeavour is the best car overall especially for highway runs etc
Even fares pretty ok in moose test(See Youtube) compared to Fortuner, Fortuner/Hilux had disasterous results imho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoHbn8-ROiQ

2. Fortuner has rock solid resale, maintenance etc but I feel Endeavour is multiple classes above especially if you intend to keep the car for long(6-7 years)

3. Buy a small car for city runs (used or new) + Endeavour or Fortuner for highway runs, night driving, weddings etc

4. Creta + used Fortuner

5. Tucson or used X3, all rounders in a way-City runs, highway etc considering the full package.

6. Wait for Skoda Kodiaq, arguably the next SUV to take Indian markets by storm but Skoda is a bit scary though very beautiful, vfm etc

I drew these observations after lots of thought and loads of test drives
Certain cars are left out on purpose such as X1 and Q3 because they lack alot of very basic things
Hexa and Crysta are too MUV and not exactly in the same league at all plus seeing Aria niggles in the past and minor niggles with the Crysta, not exactly ideal
XUV and Pajero dont compare once again

Endeavour is one of the few proper loaded packages in the market right now, only thing is the size of the car
Unless you have a smaller car for city runs, wouldnt advice keeping Endy as your only car
Heck Id advice buying a Nano AMT or something + Endeavour

I myself might buy Endeavour or X3(if I get the right discount etc) or Tucson soon
I also own an Innova and Honda City though

Worst case, Id suggest getting previous gen Fortuner from the used market(plenty of good examples in Mumbai,Bangalore etc), youll get VFM and piece of mind in a balance. Just be wary and get the car certified by Toyota for a small fee before buying
I know a couple of friends who bought 2013 4x2 ATs for 14L a while back after research

Is Ford Endeavour really 40L OTR?? I though it would be around 20-30max. Please have a look at Hexa 4*4 as well even if not planning to buy.
Costs 32L for top end in certain places too
Hexa is a totally different category , Endeavour gives competition to even Bimmers,Audis and Mercs, thats how good a package it is

6. Wait for Skoda Kodiaq, arguably the next SUV to take Indian markets by storm but Skoda is a bit scary though very beautiful, vfm etc

The ASS of Skoda in India is the real deal breaker. It is a Hit or a Miss. Also the malfunction in the electronics of the new Octavia is also a concern with the modern Skoda cars.

Thread Starter #15
Im in a similar scenario
I drew the following conclusions-

1. Endeavour is the best car overall especially for highway runs etc
Even fares pretty ok in moose test(See Youtube) compared to Fortuner, Fortuner/Hilux had disasterous results imho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoHbn8-ROiQ

2. Fortuner has rock solid resale, maintenance etc but I feel Endeavour is multiple classes above especially if you intend to keep the car for long(6-7 years)

3. Buy a small car for city runs (used or new) + Endeavour or Fortuner for highway runs, night driving, weddings etc

4. Creta + used Fortuner

5. Tucson or used X3, all rounders in a way-City runs, highway etc considering the full package.

I drew these observations after lots of thought and loads of test drives
Certain cars are left out on purpose such as X1 and Q3 because they lack alot of very basic things
Hexa and Crysta are too MUV and not exactly in the same league at all plus seeing Aria niggles in the past and minor niggles with the Crysta, not exactly ideal
XUV and Pajero dont compare once again

Endeavour is one of the few proper loaded packages in the market right now, only thing is the size of the car
Unless you have a smaller car for city runs, wouldnt advice keeping Endy as your only car
Heck Id advice buying a Nano AMT or something + Endeavour

I myself might buy Endeavour or X3(if I get the right discount etc) or Tucson soon
I also own an Innova and Honda City though

Worst case, Id suggest getting previous gen Fortuner from the used market(plenty of good examples in Mumbai,Bangalore etc), youll get VFM and piece of mind in a balance. Just be wary and get the car certified by Toyota for a small fee before buying
I know a couple of friends who bought 2013 4x2 ATs for 14L a while back after research

Costs 32L for top end in certain places too
Hexa is a totally different category , Endeavour gives competition to even Bimmers,Audis and Mercs, thats how good a package it is
This is what I'm also planning. Have maybe Endy for long runs and EcoSport AT probably for City.. My only debate here is is Endy going to be used considering I have been using rental cars on my mountain driving expeditions.

Hello pahujaamit

In your place, I would have got a Mahindra XUV 4WD for half the price, invested the rest and hired a Zoomcar for Himalayas.

The question you are asking is very complex. Only you can answer that. If you can financially afford a 40 Lac car (is it really 40 in Bangalore?) without disturbing your investments, then go with what the heart says. I have seen Pajero and Fortuner owners who never did offroading in their cars. They bought it for the road presense and abuse friendly nature, which itself is enough reason I think.

Otherwise, you are correct that dragging a 4WD car in city conditions for on-road use will be a waste. You can stay with your 2WD Scorpio or if the upgrade bug has got you, consider some 2WD options as well. A 2WD with good offroad capabilities can do a fair deal of mild offroading.

Go through the below thread, it will help you. Do keep us updated on what you decide.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/automotive-library/5564-what-car-should-bought-what-income.html

PS. Did I tell you that your writing style is very engaging? :biggrin:

Regards,
Alpha
This is indeed interesting and I thought as well. BUT being a Mahindra owner, I have to THINK 1000 times to invest in another Mahindra. Their cars are ok but the service and niggles is something really bothering me.

Inspite of that, I visited the showroom today and asked for the test drive of W10 AT. The sales rep promised me the TD today evening but have not even called back :) this is Mahindra service which scares me ...

Can anyone comment on W10 AT ? Hows the machine and reliability on highways ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom