Tata Nano vs Maruti Alto K10

Thread Starter #1
Hello TAI

Need your valuable suggestion here...

I currently own Alto K10 2013 model and had no issues with respect to performance or maintenance. Last week we had gone out with the family and found that three people cannot be seated comfortably.

So I thought of changing the car but since my usage is very low i thought I would go for Tata nano as it is tagged with low price and good in boot space. Please advise if I m making the right choice. Note I m 5'11".

Vinay

Hello TAI

I currently own Alto K10 2013 model and had no issues with respect to performance or maintenance. Last week we had gone out with the family and found that three people cannot be seated comfortably.

So I thought of changing the car but since my usage is very low i thought I would go for Tata nano as it is tagged with low price and good in boot space. Please advise if I m making the right choice. Note I m 5'11".

Vinay
Nano is more than enough if you need space. But do keep in mind that it cannot be equal to the Alto in terms of performance.
If the car is just for City usage, then the Nano is perfect. I would prefer the manual one as it is more fun than the AMT.

Thread Starter #4
Thanks Pravin and DJBro.

I drive on an average speed of 80s to 90s.

Also highways are pretty less. What is the maximum distance that Nano can handle.

Also does it get exhausted if I drive more than 300kms at a stretch.

I have seen reviews from ss80 on Tata after sales service and I need your opinion on that piece.

Since I m planning to commute on a daily basis to office your piece of advice should help me a lot.

^^ I have the same suggestion, but do not confer on the MT vs AMT, Nano AMT is fun to drive on the 'S' mode, and just 30/40k above the MT is VFM.

Lookout for discounts and exchange bonus etc.

The nano is an awesome car. I recently visited Tata showroom and sat in the nano for the first time. To my surprise it was more spacious than my wagonR (maybe misconception). Rear seat was nice. But as you mentioned that you want to seat 3 comfortably at back I would suggest you to go for figo or liva. Also after using alto k10 you might end up regretting your decision of buying nano( because of lack of performance) No offence to nano owners.

Hello TAI

Vinay
Whoa![confused] Why do you want to change from 1.0L , 3 pot K-Series to puny 624cc twin-cylinder motor with just 37 bhp and 51 NM Torque , smaller tires, smaller boot, smaller fuel tank - that too when you want to drive around with 3 people ? IMO, that's a terrible idea.

Well, if you are not in a hurry, I would like to suggest you to wait for the 1.0L 3 cyl equipped Tata Pelican, a more powerful Nano. It will be more than equal to the current K10 I suppose.
It is expected to launch early next year.

The only thing and the most important thing you will miss in this downgrade is- Performance. Nano is comfortable till only around 80 kmph. above that, the drum brakes alround wont help the matter in panic situations. Rest for everything- I can bet on the Nano- The Space, the comfortable seats, the steering, reliability, etc.
My advice, dont downgrade. save some more and get the Tiago.

If you are looking for legroom space for a person like you then NANO will the best choice you. The beauty of Nano is not just legroom but it has tall body so that it can easily occupy a taller person as good as 6feet.

Comparing to K10 power is 400CC less, but the advantage of Nano being rear wheel drive car, is you do not feel that it is running out of power.

The only 2 thing that worries me a lot is the thinner tyres on front which can be replaced with a wider one later, and the missing feature of power window for rear, which can also be fitted later.

I had bought Nano XT a year back, it is running unstoppable with very low maintenance.

Few Features that makes Nano a wonder car,
- Nano has independent suspension on all 4 wheel [feature available in costly cars, SUV's ]
- Rear wheel drive
- best legroom in its class and dominates its upper class too
- super light electronic steering
- engine immobilizer
- superb AC
- tall body
- also available in AT
- best mileage
- can be driven on highways
- good ground clearance...for city speed breaker

The earlier Model of Alto K10, have the same width as that of the Wagon R, which Maruti says, can seat 3 people in the back, but as we all know, three in the back becomes crowded.
You said, Nano have better boot space.With 5 people, how will Nano perform?
On long rides, if you are fully loaded, how will a 660CC engine(33 BHP) be better than a (67 BHP) 1000 CC engine?
My observations on Nano is (though I love the tech and believes that Nano is the best city car )

a) No disc brakes
b) Not much of boot space
c) Only 4 seater
d) Above 70 Kmph, Engine feel stressed.
e) Not a long distance travel car.

Would suggest you to have a thorough study before disposing Alto K 10 for a Nano.

Last edited:
Dont Downgrade!

Hi Bro,

I read your concern and these are my experiences about Nano

Pros
1. Space
2. Mileage - 15kmpl guaranteed in city
3. An AC to make you shiver to the bones
4. AC+PS+2PW+rear wheel drive
5. Unmatched low end torque - the ease of reaching 0 -30 will surprise a few big car owners too.
6.No back pain - fatigue free driving
7. Gear shifts are too effortless - pinky finger enough to slot the gear - no hard work needed
8. Strongest flooor amongst Indian cars in this price bracket - easily 2 times better than alto K10 floor. Very rigid - Body on chassy style copied in a different way.
9. It can do 500+ kms easily in a day. I drove 10000kms in 6months & long drives are perfect. I have done 550kms on a single day etc)

Cons: (latest model)
1. Cant seat 3 in rear like a bigger cars
2. Thickness of seat cushion is not impressive
3. Although there is a boot, its too small to fit anything more than 1 airport trolley
4. Brakes get heated up on highways, ghats etc - Disc Brake cars (like K10) are way better in terms of braking.
5. A + B + C pedals are placed too close, you might end up with accelerator instead of brake or vice versa situation many times, in the beginning stages.
6. Music system given with car is like crap - no bass, not much settings, sub standard speakers - upgrade must
7. Remember this was a 1lakh car when launched so no matter what changes they have made like PS/ dikki/ interior the evident cost cutting will be felt everywhere.

Never compromise on a few things when you switch cars
1. Pedal & seating comfort
2. Brakes
3. You can buy a big car and drive slow to get a decent mileage, but you cant buy a small car and rip the hell out of it to feel like a big car.

No to Nano - Only because you already had a much better car.
Yes to Nano - as a second car at home, or if you were to upgrade from M800/ M1000 etc
Tass - Only reason why I will never go back to Tata ever again. Purely based on my experience with 3 TASS! There are others who have got a nice treatment at TASS too.
So if you buy a Tata car service it at the same outlet and be in touch manager's etc so that warranty changes are smooth & hasslefree.

All the best.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14
Thanks ss80 I was waiting for your response. I was impressed with your response as I have red your blogs. Do you suggest any mods for the ask for leg room. I know I m expecting too much but just taking chances before upgrading

Thread Starter #15
Thanks ss80 I was waiting for your response. I was impressed with your response as I have red your blogs. Do you suggest any mods for the ask for leg room. I know I m expecting too much but just taking chances before upgrading

Top Bottom