Fiat Punto Pure or Fiat Linea Used

Thread Starter #1
Hello everyone ! We are planning for a budget diesel car and short-listed these two Italians. The budget is 6-6.3 lakhs , if a New Fiat Punto Pure or a maximum of 4 lakhs for a Used Fiat Linea . My dad is very much a fan of FIAT and so he has short-listed these , whereas I like Hyundai and Fiat . I would like the Hyundai Elite i20 in that list , but my dad strongly prefers the FIAT .

A short Summary :

Need: A budget diesel car
Cars Short-listed : New Fiat Punto Pure and Used Fiat Linea
Budget:
6-6.3 lakhs for a New Fiat Punto Pure
4 lakhs for a Used Fiat Linea

My dear fellow members , please help me with your choice and someone please list the features of the Punto Pure as the official FIAT page doesn't display it.

Thanks

Last edited:
The new vs used car question can be challenging because right off, it is not a fair comparision. A used car is a used car- and comes with an exhaustive checklist. OTOH, a Punto Pure with its 75BHP engine isnt exactly a fresh model, other than the fact that its a Fiat, I would make the comparision of all used C-class sedans separate with all new B-class hatchbacks.
If you need a sedan, you wont be looking at a hatchback at all! And if you dont need the boot space, then you are spoilt for choice for new cars. If you are lucky, you may as well get a Punto Emotion (90BHP) with deep discounts. Go for that particular model ,instead of a Punto Pure. In case of a used Linea, no more than 25000 km, preferably go for a T-Jet since you wont get all that power for 4 lacs in many other cases.

Thread Starter #3
The new vs used car question can be challenging because right off, it is not a fair comparision. A used car is a used car- and comes with an exhaustive checklist. OTOH, a Punto Pure with its 75BHP engine isnt exactly a fresh model, other than the fact that its a Fiat, I would make the comparision of all used C-class sedans separate with all new B-class hatchbacks.
If you need a sedan, you wont be looking at a hatchback at all! And if you dont need the boot space, then you are spoilt for choice for new cars. If you are lucky, you may as well get a Punto Emotion (90BHP) with deep discounts. Go for that particular model ,instead of a Punto Pure. In case of a used Linea, no more than 25000 km, preferably go for a T-Jet since you wont get all that power for 4 lacs in many other cases.
Thank you for your kind reply. To be frank , I would like to go with a used Linea MJD , but then , my dad's suggestion is that a new car is always a new car , as opposed to a used one , which may have some problems , if we land up with a problematic one. My preference for the Linea is that if we get a top end trim , it'll come with dual airbags , as opposed to no airbags on the Punto. The other reason for being tilted to Linea is that , we already have a Hyundai i10 , so Sedan makes a good choice.

If not these two , which cars would you people recommend ? My preference is a good diesel car with good build quality and a trouble free ownership experience.

Note: No MSIL cars ( no offence to MS Car owners )

Last edited:
Thank you for your kind reply. To be frank , I would like to go with a used Linea MJD , but then , my dad's suggestion is that a new car is always a new car , as opposed to a used one , which may have some problems , if we land up with a problematic one. My preference for the Linea is that if we get a top end trim , it'll come with dual airbags , as opposed to no airbags on the Punto. The other reason for being tilted to Linea is that , we already have a Hyundai i10 , so Sedan makes a good choice.

If not these two , which cars would you people recommend ? My preference is a good diesel car with good build quality and a trouble free ownership experience.

Note: No MSIL cars ( no offence to MS Car owners )
No MSIL Cars !! thats something you dont hear every day, a refreshing perspective . Although I would say the SX4 diesel would have been a compelling option (decently well built as well) . Other than that and the Linea, you are looking at cars like Verna diesel (2011 onwards). Verna is not as comparable to Linea in terms of build quality and ride quality, but you may get an example with 6 airbags which is a plus . There is the VW Vento, but I would stay away from those cars in their used state, because VW cars are a bit complicated in terms of maintenance and spare parts cost. IF you are not averse and can get a good quality example, the Manza is also a neat choice. Sturdy, spacious and well equipped.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
No MSIL Cars !! thats something you dont hear every day, a refreshing perspective . Although I would say the SX4 diesel would have been a compelling option (decently well built as well) . Other than that and the Linea, you are looking at cars like Verna diesel (2011 onwards). Verna is not as comparable to Linea in terms of build quality and ride quality, but you may get an example with 6 airbags which is a plus . There is the VW Vento, but I would stay away from those cars in their used state, because VW cars are a bit complicated in terms of maintenance and spare parts cost. IF you are not averse and can get a good quality example, the Manza is also a neat choice. Sturdy, spacious and well equipped.
Hyundai Verna is a good choice , but then the soft suspension is one of the major disadvantages. Our Hyundai i10 , which also has the same kind of suspension setup , although good at smooth roads , does tends to bounce on the slightest of undulations , which is very common with the past Hyundais. And then , the price for a used Hyundai Verna is very high and the minimum value I have seen is 6.5 lakhs , for which I can get a used Hyundai Elite i20 , which has a good balance between ride and handling.

Regarding the VW Vento , we don't want to get into trouble of the usually high maintenance bills.

If you are planning to buy a new FIAT around 6 lacs, I would suggest Punto Evo 1.3 Active instead of Punto pure. I think there is hardly 15-20K difference in pricing, i mean after discounts.

Last edited:

Top Bottom