Planning To Buy Mahindra Thar: Need Few Answers

Thread Starter #1
Hi Petrol Heads,

First of all, i would like to thank TAI and all you guys for helping me Buy a bullet.

Now i want to buy Thar and need few answers.

I bought wagon r in 2014. at that time, interiors of the Thar are not appealing for home ministry (family section) and hence they said a big NO. now after some pampering, they have accepted to see the NEW Thar. in-fact after going to showroom, Wife liked it. she has a condition that I should never ask her to sit at rear bench.

Having said that, I have started googling reviews and pros and cons about Thar. one thing that is clear is most of the reviews are based on post 2015 Thar. I am expecting answers for the newer one.

Note : I am not a hardcore off-roader(But ready to take Thar). Might take Thar to few soft offroading. There is lot of info about offroading capabilities of Thar. however, It helps me if the answers are more concentrated on road.

The following are questions.
1. In one of the reviews, i read about its rear suspension. (if i buy) I am planning to install front facing rear seats. will rear passengers still feel uncomfortable specially on highway bumps.

2. Heard a lot about body roll over. not sure what it exactly is. However, i will cruse in 3 digits. Heard that because of its short wheel base, it could be a problem and all that stuff. will that be any issue. Please explain?

3. Also planning to use it as daily car. Any light on that area

4. what is the stability when Hard top is installed on it?

5. On Road in Hyd is costing around 10.40L is this worth it?

6. Any other suggestion please give me.

I liked the looks very much. know about its off-roading ability. I need loads of info on Onroad.

Many thanks
Vijay Bhargav

Last edited:
My point of view.
1. Rear suspension. Is not a big issue.
2. Heard a lot about body roll over. Not sure what it exactly is.
When a vehicle is fitted with a suspension there is compliance between the mass of the vehicle and the vehicle's contact with the ground. Body roll is the noticeable (either perceived or measurable) deflection produced when load transfer acts on the compliant elements of the suspension. Anti-roll bars directly impact body roll but their design intent is actually as a tool to adjust roll couple percentage or roll moment distribution.
No issue in speeds, it is the sudden turn you need to be careful of.
Definitely yes. There are people who are using it as a daily usage car.
No issues.
That is a personal question. You can get a Ecosport for that. Right? [:)]
Before you buy, be aware of your needs, you want an SUV, Micro SUV or anything else.
If you are not an off roader kind of a guy , know that Jeeps are built not bought.

There are other experts in this group.Wait for their comments.

Thread Starter #3
My point of view.
1. Rear suspension. Is not a big issue.
2. Heard a lot about body roll over. Not sure what it exactly is.
When a vehicle is fitted with a suspension there is compliance between the mass of the vehicle and the vehicle's contact with the ground. Body roll is the noticeable (either perceived or measurable) deflection produced when load transfer acts on the compliant elements of the suspension. Anti-roll bars directly impact body roll but their design intent is actually as a tool to adjust roll couple percentage or roll moment distribution.
No issue in speeds, it is the sudden turn you need to be careful of.
Definitely yes. There are people who are using it as a daily usage car.
No issues.
That is a personal question. You can get a Ecosport for that. Right? [:)]
Before you buy, be aware of your needs, you want an SUV, Micro SUV or anything else.
If you are not an off roader kind of a guy , know that Jeeps are built not bought.

There are other experts in this group.Wait for their comments.
Thanks General. As you suggested, i would like to wait for other expert`s opinion.

To Add, i am not a Hardcore offroader and want to consider thar for its looks and power. My parents are worried about reliability and comfort of Thar as daily usage.

Every car has some niggling issues but Thar would have more niggling issues and this is exactly where my parents are suggesting for ford ecosport / any other "Suv"

Experts, please pour in your suggestions.

Hi

General max has already clarified .Im no expert here but just an enthusiast like all of us here.My 2 cents...

1.Rear Suspension-Lot of aftermarket options available like CFL Leaf springs to imported suspension kits like Ironman/OME .Can make a difference in the ride quality and make it more pliant.Front Facing seats-Innova third row seats or imported ones like Rugged Ridge/Bushranger.
(P.S.I have no business interests in the above mentioned brands )

2.Bodyroll-Straight line stability is good.But be careful around Corners.

3.Daily Use-Why Not?You can add some basic convenience features such as Power Windows and Remote locking .

4.HardTop-Don't think there will be stability issues if the hardtop is properly designed and tested.

5.Cost-10.40 Lacs OTR.Add modifications like Hardtop/Suspension etc and you are looking at a minimum of 1.25 Lacs.Add all modifications you are going to make and you will get the final figure.As Generalmax has said set your priorities first and if you feel that the Thar is the one for you go for it.

One question-will you hold on to the Wagon-R or will Thar be your only vehicle?

Regards

To Add, i am not a Hardcore offroader and want to consider thar for its looks and power. My parents are worried about reliability and comfort of Thar as daily usage.
Every car has some niggling issues but Thar would have more niggling issues and this is exactly where my parents are suggesting for ford ecosport / any other "Suv"
Experts, please pour in your suggestions.
Your parents are right.[:)] Thar is definitely far more uncomfortable for daily commute than any other car. Thar owners go out of way to search for places to offroad. As- like many of us- you are not a hardcore offroader type, I believe you wouldn't be using Thar for what it is designed to do best. IMO, unless you are going to retain your present car as a primary car, forget Thar! Go by your parents' advise.

There are 2 thars in my office. guys commuting on thar are sedan owners. Thar is a life style vechile and there is something more to the thar.

on the negative side, there are a bit of niggling issues. one of the thar refused to start and mahindra service center people came to the office.

thar can be used as a city vechile but be preapared for a bumpy ride. Also handling is not good as the other compact uvs. Thar shines in off roading. It all gets to the equation of where the vechile is going to be driven?

Hi Vijay,

An old Jeep saying, A Jeep is a Jeep...P E R I O D.

Once a Jeep bug bites a human, he/she aint the same, it is the same as owning a RE Bullet, weekends wont be the same, you will have all the excuses in the world to be with your Thar, dont even venture to take ladies with sarees, its a handfull, and you would be sweating in your pants till the journey ends, (My dear friend gave me one during my daughters wedding, I had a time of my life), no one dare come 5 Feet close to this beast.

Niggles: Your Sunday afternoon will be spent trying to pin point the niggles, dont even bother, next week another will creap in.

Do invest in a HHT (Hyderabad Hard Top), its supposed to be good, and get second hand Innova 3rd row seats for the back.

Regards.

Vinod

Thread Starter #8
One question-will you hold on to the Wagon-R or will Thar be your only vehicle?

Regards
Hi Nomad,

Thanks for the reply. I am planning to sell wagon R. Buy Thar, install hard top, front facing seats, anti roll bars.

Dad and mom are concerned about comfort. they are ok with front seating.. rear seating is the issue.

Your parents are right.[:)] Thar is definitely far more uncomfortable for daily commute than any other car. Thar owners go out of way to search for places to offroad. As- like many of us- you are not a hardcore offroader type, I believe you wouldn't be using Thar for what it is designed to do best. IMO, unless you are going to retain your present car as a primary car, forget Thar! Go by your parents' advise.
Thanks rselva. I will consider your suggestion.

or May be a used , modified one could also be considered ??

There are 2 thars in my office. guys commuting on thar are sedan owners. Thar is a life style vechile and there is something more to the thar.
Is new 2016 thar is also bumpy as old one?

Hi Vijay,

An old Jeep saying, A Jeep is a Jeep...P E R I O D.

Once a Jeep bug bites a human, he/she aint the same, it is the same as owning a RE Bullet, weekends wont be the same, you will have all the excuses in the world to be with your Thar, dont even venture to take ladies with sarees, its a handfull, and you would be sweating in your pants till the journey ends, (My dear friend gave me one during my daughters wedding, I had a time of my life), no one dare come 5 Feet close to this beast.

Niggles: Your Sunday afternoon will be spent trying to pin point the niggles, dont even bother, next week another will creap in.

Do invest in a HHT (Hyderabad Hard Top), its supposed to be good, and get second hand Innova 3rd row seats for the back.

Regards.

Vinod
you are right sir. i was bitten by jeep bug in 2008. but finance was not supporting. I may have to wait till december if i had to retain wagon R. Ertiga being there, there is no space to keep 3rd vehicle.

I have plan of HHT and innova 3rd row seats and anti roll over bars as modifications. However, the cost is coming close to 12L - 12.5L. not sure if thats worth

Do you suggest considering a used Thar with (PS and AC) and modify accordingly?

I am in total state of confusion [frustration]

Hi Nomad,

Thanks for the reply. I am planning to sell wagon R. Buy Thar, install hard top, front facing seats, anti roll bars.

Dad and mom are concerned about comfort. they are ok with front seating.. rear seating is the issue.
Hi

My bad.I didn't know you had an Ertiga too.Since you have a primary and more comfortable vehicle at home for family needs you can very well go for a Thar.One suggestion though.Instead of going for used examples I feel it's better to go for a new one.There are lot of chances a used vehicle may have been abused.For peace of mind a new vehicle is always better.

ONE LIFE,LIVE IT

Regards

Consider Force Gurkha also in your list for its appearance and road presence than any other off-road vehicles as it has an factory fitted snorkel and with rear front facing seats.

To the OP- on an emotional level - They are your mom and dad- they probably look at the excitement in your eyes while discussing Thar, and reluctantly accept the prospect of enduring a bumpy, uncomfortable ride to wherever. Thar is meant to be taken to places where parents would almost never visit. Please be kind to your parents and buy a regular soft roader like Ecosport/Duster 85 PS (the latter is more comfortable and capable than the former on mild offroading). The Thar is for those who dont mind the muck and the grease all round them. Also note that it offers absolutely no protection in terms of crash safety during family trips as compared to to other cars. If you still want your share of moderate yet comfortable off roading with family, go for the Duster AWD. Your call finally ![;)]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12
To the OP- on an emotional level - They are your mom and dad- they probably look at the excitement in your eyes while discussing Thar, and reluctantly accept the prospect of enduring a bumpy, uncomfortable ride to wherever. Thar is meant to be taken to places where parents would almost never visit. Please be kind to your parents and buy a regular soft roader like Ecosport/Duster 85 PS (the latter is more comfortable and capable than the former on mild offroading). The Thar is for those who dont mind the muck and the grease all round them. Also note that it offers absolutely no protection in terms of crash safety during family trips as compared to to other cars. If you still want your share of moderate yet comfortable off roading with family, go for the Duster AWD. Your call finally ![;)]
Thanks for the suggestion acechip. However, if its Trip with parents, I would go in Ertiga.

Petrol heads, please Consider this point and suggest

My current vehicle Wagon R has no airbags / abs and its reasonable comfortable to make a trip of say 1800 kms with 4 on broad in 3 days (Did Hyd -badrachalam - maredumelli - vishakapatnam-vijayawada - Hyd).

Thar also has no airbags, ABS (even for 10.4L [anger] ). however, Thar body is stronger than wagon R and in terms of Laymen (Thats me) thar should be in better "Safety" than my current car.

Please throw some light on this point.

Consider Force Gurkha also in your list for its appearance and road presence than any other off-road vehicles as it has an factory fitted snorkel and with rear front facing seats.
HI Mithra, i am looking more on On - road than off - road. However, I read somewhere (1 yr back article) that Gurkha is being re-released with new CRDI engine. Can you / someone please throw light on that.

^^ why dont you consider the Bolero 4x4?, it is family friendly, has a good road presence, should be around or lesser price than the Thar.

Take your family along for a TD

Thread Starter #14
^^ why dont you consider the Bolero 4x4?, it is family friendly, has a good road presence, should be around or lesser price than the Thar.

Take your family along for a TD
Have this in Mind since Long time Sir. But Thar looks better also, bolero 4X4 i think comes either with AC or power steering. Not sure what is Mahindra Logic to give either of both.

Last edited:
Bolero 4X4 is not sold every where as private car. Some places,they had made it mandatory to register as a commercial (taxi) car.(Please check) .
I would once again suggest you to build a jeep.
There are lots of people doing it in this forum also.
Buy an old jeep and restore it. The total cost may come to 6 to 7 lacs.The time spent is worth the money.
A user/mod called SamDinkar in this forum is a 4X4 expert.I think he can help.I was expecting the experts to jump in,may be because of a buying they are not active, if for, building a jeep they will help.In Hyderabad, it is not difficult procure an old jeep.
See the link for more on 4X4

Top Bottom