Suggestions For New Car For Dad

Thread Starter #1
Dear All,

I need suggestion for a new car for my dad. I live away in Pune and my dad lives in Delhi. My dad has been driving the 3rd Gen Honda City for the last 6 yrs. He is now around 63 yrs old and he says he is not that confident in driving such a big car in Delhi traffic. The City has not been driven much. It has run around 27000 kms only in the last 6 yrs. As I saw my City, I saw few dents here and there and my dad said he has also repaired the car for minor dents at times. Hence dad decided to buy a new car which wont be that big as the City. Has to be petrol since the car wont run much. I will move the City to Pune for my use.

We thought of going for Hatchbacks but then my mom came into the picture and said small hatchbacks wont do as she is not in favor of it. Hence we filtered our search criteria to premium hatchbacks and compact sedans only. We test drove the Baleno and the Elite i20. My father felt the Elite is quite big. The Baleno is fine. So somewhat we have been thinking of going ahead with the Baleno even though it has a long waiting period [cry].

I came back to Pune now and my dad is still giving the Baleno a bit more thought. It ticks all the boxes (although he felt the rear seat is a bit flat). Also since my father drive the City he felt the Baleno is a bit underpowered too (1.2 in Baleno agains 1.5 in city). His more concern is the size as the front more or less have the same dimensions as the City. Still he was impressed by the features on offer, the mileage figures and looks. Also since its a Maruti, long term maintenance cost will be less and service centers plenty available.

While going back home one day, I saw the New Etios and thought would that be a good option. The new Etios has a bit lesser dimensions, scores a perfect 5 star NCAP safety record and the interiors dont look bad either. It has the most comfortable ride along with wide rear seats and in my opinion it should score perfect on most of my dad's requirements. The Toyota Service is top class as well and the maintenance if not as low as Maruti should not be too much.

Hence please advice on this. Would it be a good idea to go for Etios in 2016? Or go for Baleno. The next gen Etios is also due next year hopefully. Although I am not seeing too much of a difference in the current version and the next version.

TIA.
Souvik..

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Re: Suggestions for New Car for Dad..

Dad is not fond of automatics. He likes to change gears. As per him, the joy of driving is to know when to change the gear, feel the engine response to know if the gear is correct or not. He likes to have that control in his own hand.

Also the new car has to be Japanese/Korean.

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

Your dad is looking more on the practicality so the liva would be the apt choice.

I would choose the liva over grand i10 or other car any day.

The brakes , the ac , gear slots , the clutch everything is just brilliant. And you know the biggest drawback are the interiors. But I guess your dad wont mind. My dad shares the same thought. But still ask him to test drive every car in the segment.

And the new liva now has digital odometer which looks much better ta the current version.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5

Your dad is looking more on the practicality so the liva would be the apt choice.

I would choose the liva over grand i10 or other car any day.

The brakes , the ac , gear slots , the clutch everything is just brilliant. And you know the biggest drawback are the interiors. But I guess your dad wont mind. My dad shares the same thought. But still ask him to test drive every car in the segment.

And the new liva now has digital odometer which looks much better ta the current version.
I agree. The Liva is a brilliant car. However my mom will not go for it for sure. She will say its not big hatchback. Also since it is a 1.2 my dad may feel it underpowered.

Thats why I think the Etios will be good option. It has all the practicality of the Liva and the 1.5 will make it a good drive. It dont look that big as the City and the New Etios has good interiors and comfortable ride. Plus being a sedan will make my mom happy as well (thats important else mom will keep complaining continuously for months).

The only thing which I have in mind is whether to consider or not it since its been in the market for a long time. Or to wait for the next generation to be launched. Also can consider any other alternatives if suggested.

Last edited:

Baleno RS will be launched in 2-3 months. I suggest book a Baleno now and when RS version gets launched, do a test drive and if he feels he need the additional power, you can cancel the Baleno booking and book a RS version.

I agree. The Liva is a brilliant car. However my mom will not go for it for sure. She will say its not big hatchback. Also since it is a 1.2 my dad may feel it underpowered.
I have once driven Etios Cross 1.5 for a day and it was something; ease of driving, good ride quality and what a performance.

Why don't you recommend Etios Cross 1.5 to your dad? The 1.5l engine from Etios is awesome and with hatchback body, it is easy to drive too; especially in city. It may look 'like it or hate it' but is actually a very very capable vehicle.

PS: Toyota maintenance is way lower than that of even Maruti and reliability as well as durability is multi folds of theirs. The 1.5l engine is very well proven for it's reliability, frugal nature, very linear performance and low maintenance.

Thread Starter #9

why not some thing indian?
tiago is also very good choice.
There are other superficial external factors into play here. Dad is not comfortable with Tata Cars. Even though I make him agree to check that out and he probably will like it, mom will say she wont go for Tata car. See her point is she travels in a Honda City now. She wont come down to go in a Tata. What will the relatives and neighbors think [confused]. (Yup these things matter to her a lot [frustration]). So it has to be Japanese/Korean.

I have once driven Etios Cross 1.5 for a day and it was something; ease of driving, good ride quality and what a performance.

Why don't you recommend Etios Cross 1.5 to your dad? The 1.5l engine from Etios is awesome and with hatchback body, it is easy to drive too; especially in city. It may look 'like it or hate it' but is actually a very very capable vehicle.

PS: Toyota maintenance is way lower than that of even Maruti and reliability as well as durability is multi folds of theirs. The 1.5l engine is very well proven for it's reliability, frugal nature, very linear performance and low maintenance.
Hmm. Thats a good idea. Will definitely recommend that. Thanks..

Baleno RS will be launched in 2-3 months. I suggest book a Baleno now and when RS version gets launched, do a test drive and if he feels he need the additional power, you can cancel the Baleno booking and book a RS version.
Yup will recommend the same as well. Only if the rear seat in Baleno would have been a bit more comfortable. Would have to look for third party cushioning options. Thanks..

The 1.5l engine from Etios is awesome and with hatchback body, it is easy to drive too; especially in city. It may look 'like it or hate it' but is actually a very very capable vehicle.

I am looking for an review of Etios Cross. Friends please mention the relevant thread. I was watching car reviews of Etios Cross on Youtube. I did not like look of its speedometer console. Any detail review will be helpful. How is the performance of 1.2L version?[:)]

I am looking for an review of Etios Cross. Friends please mention the relevant thread. I was watching car reviews of Etios Cross on Youtube. I did not like look of its speedometer console. Any detail review will be helpful. How is the performance of 1.2L version?[:)]
The console definitely isn't a looker but the engine is quite good, not a scorcher but well acceptable.
I would suggest 1.5 if it's the Etios Cross as there are many better options as compared to 1.2 for the same money but 1.5 is unique in itself.

So confusing.Just like parents wants us to be. City is big but want a big Hatchback.Elite is big but Baleno is not. [lol] .Man,that's a real puzzle to solve.No offence,but I think you may end up with some Maruti Car. Coming to the suggestions,I would suggest VW Polo,which is a normal car for a normal person. If he is driving alone,does it really matter if the car is 1.5 or 1.2?

As your father is having problems with Honda City being a big car, I would say Toyota Etios will also not suit him being almost of the same size. Better is to convince him to go for Automatics keeping his age into consideration and easy of driving in coming years which will benefit his legs and knees.
I also see you may need to convince your mother to go for hatchback than sedan, if the need is Sedan then why change the City[;)]
I will suggest to go for Baleno Automatic, but am not sure how much is the waiting period for the same[thinking]

Thread Starter #14

So confusing.Just like parents wants us to be. City is big but want a big Hatchback.Elite is big but Baleno is not. [lol] .Man,that's a real puzzle to solve.No offence,but I think you may end up with some Maruti Car. Coming to the suggestions,I would suggest VW Polo,which is a normal car for a normal person. If he is driving alone,does it really matter if the car is 1.5 or 1.2?
As your father is having problems with Honda City being a big car, I would say Toyota Etios will also not suit him being almost of the same size. Better is to convince him to go for Automatics keeping his age into consideration and easy of driving in coming years which will benefit his legs and knees.
I also see you may need to convince your mother to go for hatchback than sedan, if the need is Sedan then why change the City[;)]
I will suggest to go for Baleno Automatic, but am not sure how much is the waiting period for the same[thinking]
I agree. In fact when me and my dad checked out the Grand i10, we felt it was a perfect car. The car looked good, size was perfect, good interiors, good service network. But mom had other priorities.

I checked out Etios and Liva today here in Pune since I myself wanted to have a feel of them. The top model is actually a great improvement over the previous ones. Good interiors, very comfortable and great road presence. The Liva with 1.2 had dull bottom end and one really need to revv up the RPMs to get to the juicy parts. The Etios 1.5 was better in terms of driving. I also got to see the limited edition Liva with Grey interiors and grey faux finish on the dash. It had 2 tone color with black 16" alloys. Looked really good. Cost 10-12k over the Liva. Lets see how my parents feel about them. They will visit showroom in a day or two.

Btw I also came to know that the sales of the Etios twins are so less that they are made to order. If Toyota gets an order then only the cars are made.

Last edited:

I agree. In fact when me and my dad checked out the Grand i10, we felt it was a perfect car. The car looked good, size was perfect, good interiors, good service network. But mom had other priorities.
Then checkout the Hyundai Xcent as it is more roomier for the passengers and i think it doesn't feel big for your father and your mother also might like it when they like the Grand i10.

Top Bottom