Should I Buy a Diesel Car?

Thread Starter #1
I'm in the hunt for my first car and have shortlisted a few cars. But the question at the back of my mind is if I should go for a diesel car keeping in mind the recent brouhaha over the diesel cars, first in Delhi and now in Kerala.

My monthly running will be around 1200 kms so buying a diesel car is justified (I know it's a border case). If diesel cars above 10 years are banned, it will seriously affect the resale value and I don't think my usage will be that high to justify the loss of resale value. I live in Bangalore where there is no rule yet, but with the recent report saying Bangalore's air quality is worse than Delhi, who knows if the rule comes here in the next 5 years.

The pull for diesel is strong. Lower running costs which means we can plan more trips (lower travel costs makes us travel more!), peace of mind even if the actual usage shoots up from the predicted usage. Travel costs become comparable with the bus so more car usage etc.

Should take chance and go for diesel and forget about the resale value or should I go for petrol an be reasonably safe that the ban will not affect me if it comes at all? What are your thoughts TAI?

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
I dont think there's a problem in buying a diesel car. I live in delhi and my my next car purchase is a diesel model only.
We don't know what may happen after 10 years so why worry now.

Thread Starter #3
We do not know what may happen in 10 years but then if this law is here to stay, I can buy petrol as well and have peace of mind that the car will at-least have 15 years of shelf life. I'm only talking purely from a economics perspective since that is my only reason going for diesel.

Diesel not good to drive in traffic, service bills are costly compared to petrol, Mileage will drop in bumper to bumper traffic.

1200 Kms per month is not a heavy usage.Rather than thinking about petrol/diesel car, you must think more about safety and go for car with good safety features.

you should buy a petrol car.my monthly running is 1000-1500km and i make a series mistake my choosing vista as my 3rd car before vista i have 2 petrol cars.finally i sell my vista and lost 1.50L IN 18 months.now i have a petrol car( k10 )which is my 4th car and my mind is so relaxed after buying k10 [:)]

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Buddy,

If you are confused over Diesel Vs Petrol car and have genuine worries over diesel car's future (which indeed is a matter of concern) and worried for economics of owning a petrol vehicle then I would suggest go in for a CNG vehicle. The cost of running is low, there is not going to be any ban on them and it can also last for 15 years like Petrol cars.[:)]

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #9
Akash,

CNG is not yet available in Bangalore :( I don't understand this judicial activism. I thought the duty of the courts is to uphold the law but trying to do the work of the bureaucracy? [frustration]

Thread Starter #11
Problem isn't only about 2000 cc above diesels. They are now banning 10+ year old diesels too which means the life of a diesel car is 10 years :( Quite less in my opinion.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Problem isn't only about 2000 cc above diesels. They are now banning 10+ year old diesels too which means the life of a diesel car is 10 years :( Quite less in my opinion.
Still a decade long life for a any car is good enough I believe. Also, in any case, no car in today's time survives in the garage for more than 5-6 years so that ways 10 is a long life span buddy. Also, one doesn't know what happens in next 10 minutes, so why to worry for next 10 years? However, still if you aren't convinced then buy a petrol car and enjoy it dear.

Regards

Akash

Its very simple. If you are buying small car go for petrol. It will be economical. If you are planning big car like Safari then diesel is only option.

Thread Starter #14
My worry is, if I use a diesel car for 7 years and then try to sell, I won't get much resale value since the life of the car is only 3 years more. I'm planning to go for diesel purely from economic perspective and loss of resale value means there is no justification to go for a diesel car.
I'm buying a small car. I've now decided to go for petrol and book the car. Once there is more clarity in a few months, will change the booking if ban on 10+ year cars is lifted.

Okey!! Let me also try my economics sense(I have less though) and try to substantiate the conclusion:-

I Assumed Car Price at 10Lakh Rs
*car depreciation rate is India IT rule based
*Inflation rate is avg b/w 2011 & 2016 and hoping the situation will remain same
*At 7th year assuming Market is willing to pay the depreciated Price

After 7 years the Car value of 320k and which will be equal to 197k as off today.

So, Decision is entirely yours whether you want to follow your Heart or your economic mind at the cost of 2Lakh rs.

Top Bottom