Upgrading From Nano: Honda Brio vs Fiat Punto Evo

Thread Starter #1
Hi Frnds,
I m now using Tata Nano and now planning to upgrade for 1.2 range petrol hatchback. After long long market research now i narrowed down. Honda Brio s version and Fiat Punto evo 1.2 fire Dynamic. But I'm still confused which to choose since both have there own edges. Honda japanese engine and reliability and Fiat sturdy build and style.
Friends please suggest which to go on these choice.!![confused]

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, the Brio and Punto Evo are not in the same sub-segment. The Evo is a bigger, heavier. My suggestion to you, if you are going petrol, please dont consider the Fiat 1.2.

If you are looking for a petrol variant, please stay away from PUNTO EVO. But if it is diesel than go for it!

I wouldn't suggest BRIO, as its little outdated or design that is not praised by most of the buyers. There are other options as

-Tata BOLT [the only turbocharged petrol engine available in price tag 5-10 lac]
-MS SWIFT [good on style and very popular + easy to maintain]
-Nissan Micra [good FE, easy to drive]
-Hyundai Grand i10 [good FE, easy to drive]
-Tata Tiago [new and refreshing look]
And there are other options as well with different brand, just check them out and TD to finalize your choice of car.

I would advice you to stay away from Punto & Brio as both are old now. Since you haven't mentioned budget, i will assume that you are looking for a sub 10 lakh car.

If you are going for Petrol, There are only few best engines available in the market. Suzuki's K Series, Honda iVTEC, Hyundai's Kappa. There is also VW 1.2 TSI but it will cross 10 lakhs, if you are ready to stretch a bit, that would be a great car to have.

Amongst small/premium hatchbacks, you can consider these options.
1. Maruti Baleno
2. Honda Jazz
3. Hyundai i20/i20 Active
4. Volkswagen Polo
5. Ford Figo 1.2/1.5 DCT

These are the best cars out there in the market.

Note- I have left out Bolt & Tiago and will be mentioning the reasons later.

Among these 6 cars, The Baleno is the Most VFM, Jazz the Most Practical, i20 the Most Stylish, Polo the Most Fun to Drive(Enthusiastic Choice), Figo the Cheapest of the lot. Each cars are good and barring i20 all of these have Automatic Option in them. Have a look at all these cars.

Now coming to Tata. You already have Nano, and Tiago would be a good upgrade. But once you drive the above cars or even for that matter, Tiago Rivals Grand i10, Brio, Celerio etc, you won't be having the same good feel regarding performance. You'll be disappointed with the performance of the Tiago.

I also Drove Tiago Petrol last week and came unimpressed and disappointed. The engine did not impress me in terms of Refinement, Power, Drivability, Performance. Simply Put, the Tiago is a wonderful car but the Petrol engine is a biggest letdown of this car. Diesel fares better though.

Regarding Bolt, it is reworked Vista and it doesn't impress you in design or styling. And since it has the same engine as Tiago with an extra cylinder and additional torque it should do better then Tiago but not so much as others mentioned above. Hence i would say do not consider Tat if you are looking for Petrol.

Incase you are looking at Compact SUV, There is Ford Ecosport with 1.0 Ecoboost Turbo Petrol available under 10 lakhs. It offers many advantages over these Hatchbacks.

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Don't buy the brio. A facelift is expected in the festive season. Look at others cars as mentiined by Nishant

Last edited:
I also Drove Tiago Petrol last week and came unimpressed and disappointed. The engine did not impress me in terms of Refinement, Power, Drivability, Performance. Simply Put, the Tiago is a wonderful car but the Petrol engine is a biggest letdown of this car. Diesel fares better though.
First of all I too have test driven Tata Tiago (both petrol and diesel).
I was impressed by petrol Tiago unlike you.
No offence. Though diesel Tiago is much better.
Tiago looks great, have amazing features, great quality interiors, strong build quality and list just goes on.

Petrol Bolt also have turbocharged petrol engine.

I would suggest you (raaj_v) take test drive of Figo (1.2 P), Tiago (1.2 P). Both of these vehicles may not have powerful engines but they are solid build.
I have ruled out Baleno because of its poor build quality.

Note - These are my views. No offence to owners.

Top Bottom