Seeking Expert Advice on Buying a Used Car

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,

For a longtime, I have been planning to buy an Used car and recently I came across this Honda Civic, 3rd hand, 2006 model, 83100 kms ran, automatic gear. Dealer is quoting Rs.2.4 lacs for buying and extra 10k is required for some minor repairing works. My usage will be within Chennai city for office usage and for longdrive which is once in a month. I don't know much about cars and so I'm in a great confusion to go for this car or not. I need some expert advice/suggestions please. Attached photos for reference.

Thanks,
Harihara

Attachments

@harisam
Extend your budget a bit and get a used Honda City i-VTEC and you will be happier. I guess a good example with under 50k kms on odo should fell anywhere between 4-4.5 lac.

Hello,
What is your budget? A lot of factors depend on how much you have planned and by how far you can stretch if you find something better (quite common in used car marketplace).

Thread Starter #6
Hi All,

Thanks all for your valuable advices. Special thanks to Vishal for sharing the link which gave me better understand and clarification.

Price seem to be OK-ish, if the mileage is genuine and not flood affected, But,
- I could see some painting work is required on the RH side, how about LH?
- What is that 'Minor Repair work'?
- Did you miss the Air bag warning in instrument cluster?

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Buddy, I would not buy this car at all reason being it is a discontinued model and unlike MSIL, Honda's used car's spares cost on a higher side. Secondly, By extending your budget by 1 lac you can get 2009-10 Honda CITY Ivtec as I own one (Oct. 2011) and apart from low GC, its a fuss free car. Just today completed a 560km trip in it. No issues at all.

Regards

Akash

By extending your budget by 1 lac you can get 2009-10 Honda CITY Ivtec
Agreed on your point. But if I were you I will go with Civic (may be not this car, considering several facts) and keep that 1L for future maintenance and enjoy double the driving pleasure with Civic than City. Running cost and maintenance is a different topic all together.

PS: We had a Civic at family which was sold very recently with over 180k on odo. It's a trust worthy car.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
if I were you I will go with Civic (may be not this car, considering several facts) and keep that 1L for future maintenance and enjoy double the driving pleasure with Civic than City.
Hi Satish, long time Mr. R&D[:D] Hope all well. Satish, Civic was a drool machine indeed by Honda. But considering this particular one, I would say, its better to stay away. It had many owners earlier too (3 as mentioned) and more over its a 10 year old car and not even the one that was last sold around 2011-12 so maybe it would be difficult to maintain it. 83K on ODO might not be a issue as Honda made reliable engines decade back. But particularly the discontinuing and too many owners along with the scarcity of spares in future is the main reason to avoid it. Any other 2011-12 gen Civic would still be a wise choice.

PS: We had a Civic at family which was sold very recently with over 180k on odo. It's a trust worthy car.
Indeed! A single owner owned car lasts much longer provided it is well taken care off. I agree with you.

Regards

Akash

Yes, stay away from a discontinued car, and 3 owners in the past might mean that they were not happy with the car.
If still you feel like purchasing this car only, get full ASS history from day one of the life of the car and if all is well go for it.

Top Bottom