Buying Used Volkswagen Jetta: Need Advice

Thread Starter #1
hello guys. reading TAI for qute sometime. its a great platform.
need advice from experts.
wanna buy used sedan . diesel. have tried VW jetta . 2008. 40k kms done on odometer. automatic- diesel.
asking price is 6.25 L.
shd i go for this?
what will be maintenance cost per servicing?
plz help. need to buy it before 21 may.
thanx,

hello guys. reading TAI for qute sometime. its a great platform.
need advice from experts.
wanna buy used sedan . diesel. have tried VW jetta . 2008. 40k kms done on odometer. automatic- diesel.
asking price is 6.25 L.
shd i go for this?
what will be maintenance cost per servicing?
plz help. need to buy it before 21 may.
thanx,
IMO, the running is quite low for a 8 years old diesel car. Please check all the service records. specially gearbox oil. Regular servicing will cost around 15 to 20 k but it will be misc. repairs that will break you back.

You have not mentioned the variant. I am supposing its Highline. The asking price is too high in my opinion. It should be around 5 lacs, so you will have 1.5 lacs spare for any contingency.

My Advice: Avoid it unless service records are not regular and the price in more than 5 lacs.

@tigerwag
Just get a thorough inspection done of the car. In case the A.S.S. guys find anything like tempered ECU or readings etc then avoid the car.

ELSE

Get it; the PD diesel engine is super reliable and so was the gearbox at that time (I guess it isn't a DSG) and was an old termer reliable engine + gearbox combo.

Thread Starter #4
New find
Jetta. Comfortline. 2.0 TDI. 2010.
Running 67000.
Well maintained car. Second owner.
First owner was a company. Second owner individual.
Asking price 6.25. Took TD. No fault found.
What say guys?

Volkswagen Jetta is a very good option.
This car is a driver's delight and you won't regret it.

Maintenance should cost around 15-20k yearly. That's the norm with this VW and SKODA.

If it's a Pre 2010 model, then it will be one with 1.9 PD engine mated to 6 Speed DSG, which is very reliable.

Post 2010, the PD engine was discontinued in favour of more advanced 2.0 TDI CR engine. This was big improvement especially in terms of refinement. The old Jetta did not have Highline variant at all, i am guessing it's the Comfortline which you have seen. Again standard features across variants makes it easier to get one without thinking too much.

Price quoted is a bit high IMO. It should be around 5-5.5 at max. It's an exhausted product so, you can ask for lower price.

Overall, Get that car if record is clean and if you are happy with it. It's an excellent car.

Thread Starter #6
I have heard that it's very expensive to maintain volkswagen jetta after 3-4 years. Is that true?

Last edited:
I myself paid a bill of around 40k for the 75k kms service of a Jetta 2.0 owned by a close friend; enough said.

VW cars are better driven sanely and taken care that even slight maintenance is being given on time; then they will be super reliable and won't drop bombs during service center visits, but if you drive them like a Maruti then service center bills will also be comparable to the price of a used Maruti only.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
In this segment every cars spare parts (besides the normal maintenance ) will be costly.
Friends dad broke some part when he drove his cruze over a big rock and it hit the underbody.
Obviously the spare parts were not found easily (out station)my friend send a 70k rs part through courier plus the labor expenses.

So yeah regular maintenance may not cost that much but the parts will.
I prefer outside mechanics than the company's A.S.S. the price is exorbitant

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
Hello guys. I have almost zeroed down on 2010 jetta. But recent news about ban on diesel cars more than 10 yr old banned in kerala after Delhi has created confusion. Is the same rule likely to be implemented in Maharashtra as well? What will be the resale value or fate of 10 yr old diesel cars?

Thread Starter #11
Bumping the thread.
Hello guys. Any recent confirmed updates on the 10 yr old diesel cars ban in Maharashtra?
I am not buying preowned car for the same reason.

Thread Starter #13
Hello friends.
I am still inclined towards above mentioned jetta if I can get it for 5.25-5.5 L. I can use it for 4 yrs till 2020 if 10 yr old car rule applies here in pune.
What will be the fate of that car after 4 yrs? Do I have to dismantle it or can I sell it to some scrap car buyers? What did Delhi people did when the same rule was applied in Delhi for 10 yr old diesel cars in Aug 15?
Anybody from Delhi plz comment. Plz help guys.

One non Volkswagen dealer told me that VW stopped production of Jetta since 2015 . They are planning to phase it out . Enquire about it as parts may be unavailable .

@tigerwag , though a jetta at 5Lac looks very delicious,it can probably become a night mare for you because of the maintenance. VW cars in India, doesn't have much resale value. The automatic versions are prone to break downs and there is a saying that the rescue trucks in India survive on VW automatic cars break downs.[:)] .

Stay away..

Top Bottom