Budget Rs.2 Lakh. Suggest Me a Petrol vs Diesel Car

Thread Starter #1
Hi,there
Satya here from Hyderabad
since from my childhood I have a dream to own a machine and doing long tours on my own.
Then in my college days dad gave me his 97 cc passion plus as my first ride and even with that small machine I manage to do some long rides alone(I like going long trips alone) about 500kms
then after college I stand on my own feet and save some generous amount of money (I think so)to buy 4 wheels on my own
to do some longgg trips around the country

I want to start my journey when the winter kicks in and my plans are to go south India
and in summer to go to the north side like infamous leh ladakh trip and want to do it all by myself
for this need I need a car that serves the purpose
I don't want any features or gimmicks just a reliable car
my whole budget for this around 3.5 lak
in this I need a car around 2 laks and Max 2.5 lak and remaining for travelling expenses
now I'm confused between petrol and diesel machines
in those trips I need a lot of pulling power because all my luggage and camping stuff(if possible) and for the ghat sections

after all the trips are over by summer 2017 I'll sell it off so for that purpose I need to make a wise decision

cars considering
if petrol: wagon r
i10
alto k10(not comfy my height 6")
Ritz or swift1.3 (if comes in my budget)
if diesel : indica vista TDI or quadrajet
indica or indigo
ford ikon
Chevy beat(if in budget)

suggest any other cars I'm missing

need suggestions guys
reliability is important because in those long journeys I'll be alone all the time(want to be)

Re: confused between petrol and diesel

Why don't you try out some used Grand i10s. I think it should serve your purpose well especially in the diesel guise. I doubt if they if fit your budget but you just might be lucky. Another option is looking for a toyota Liva, it is a nice car to have in both engines but preferably diesel in your car. Also to your diesel vs petrol question i would suggest you a diesel since they definitely have better pulling power compared to petrols. Good luck.

bhvm

Honoured Member

You clearly need something with decent torque, easy fuel bills & lots of Highway fun- In short you need A DIESEL.

Take a good look at modern Turbo-diesels. They're reilable. Fast & cheap to run.
The cars you've selceted like i10, Alto etc are not good for Leh Ladakh runs.

Your best bet would be to stretch budget a bit and get a used Scorpio/Safari preferably with 4x4. The budget should be 4.5 lacs.

Thread Starter #4
Why don't you try out some used Grand i10s. I think it should serve your purpose well especially in the diesel guise. I doubt if they if fit your budget but you just might be lucky. Another option is looking for a toyota Liva, it is a nice car to have in both engines but preferably diesel in your car. Also to your diesel vs petrol question i would suggest you a diesel since they definitely have better pulling power compared to petrols. Good luck.
thanks for the reply
both the cars grandi10 and liva doesn't come in my budget
only if they are badly abused I think

You clearly need something with decent torque, easy fuel bills & lots of Highway fun- In short you need A DIESEL.

Take a good look at modern Turbo-diesels. They're reilable. Fast & cheap to run.
The cars you've selceted like i10, Alto etc are not good for Leh Ladakh runs.

Your best bet would be to stretch budget a bit and get a used Scorpio/Safari preferably with 4x4. The budget should be 4.5 lacs.
I'm thinking of a diesel too
but cannot stretch my budget that's the main problem
thanks for your suggestion

Last edited by a moderator:

bhvm

Honoured Member

Satya, if you want to go alone, esp on treacherous terrain, you need a vehicle that generally won't get stuck or bottom out. Try searching for an Older 4x4 Thar, Trax Gurkha or likes.
These cars are Cheap, and importantly reliable.

Thread Starter #7

Satya, if you want to go alone, esp on treacherous terrain, you need a vehicle that generally won't get stuck or bottom out. Try searching for an Older 4x4 Thar, Trax Gurkha or likes.
These cars are Cheap, and importantly reliable.
Thank bhvm for your suggestions
I'll note the point of thar
how did I miss this?? :-)

@Satya
Go and get a decently maintained Punto diesel; one should fell between 2-2.5 lac. None else recommended from my side for the budget and intended usage.

please stay away from vista tdi and quaterjet.in 2L you will find 2010 model which is known for ac and gear box problems so please remove vista from your list

Top Bottom