Pre-owned Sedan Under Rs.5.5 Lacs

Thread Starter #1
This is my first post on TAI. Hello everybody.
A big shout-out to all the veterans and members of TAI. I've been a long time silent follower of TAI.

I need your help in zeroing in on a pre owned sedan.

> Your Budget: 5.5 Lacs

> New or Used: Used Car

> Your Location: Mumbai

> Top Five Priorities: Fun Car, Rear legroom, Not too high Maintenance

> Monthly Running: 1000Kms

> Type of Fuel: Petrol

> For What Purpose: City and Highway

> Seating Capacity: 5 Adults

> Type of Segment: Sedan

I am obsessed with the Civic AT (2011/2012). Its satisfies all my requirements, only gripe being its low GC.

My brother wants me to look at the diesel VW Vento (2012 onwards) and Skoda Laura (2011 onwards). Skoda Laura is amazing, but the service/spare horror stories are too much to digest.

Also, I'm a little confused about the Odometer readings. I feel comfortable with cars that have clocked not more than 60k on the odo, especially the Civic. Am I looking at it wrong ?

Dude you could get a Honda City at that price in a good condition. Since you are looking for a petrol head, with its low usage, Honda as a petrol car is much better than any other.

Other options are
- Hyundai Verna
- Fiat Linea
- Ford Fiesta Classic
- Maruti SX4

civic is a different level. My suggestions are

fiat linea
SX4
vento

no doubt vento is the quickest car. sx4 and linea have Ample GC and power. Civic cannot be compared to any of this.

Get a honda city, not a fun to drive car but a ''fill it and forget'' type car. Go for the indian 3rd generation city or the current one . You can get the 2nd generation for a lesser price. City has the best rear space.
My 2nd gen city has 150k , it still runs fine inspite of being abused by a dozen paid drivers. Service bills are a problem as it has a interval of 6 months/5oookms.
Honda service is costly for old cars. Iam planning to get it serviced outside after a new car is bought to replace it.

Regarding vw, they have 15k/1year service interval, service bill is worth the usage as per my thoughts, but many differ.

Laura/ civic will bring big service bills.

Last edited:
> Your Budget: 5.5 Lacs
> New or Used: Used Car
> Top Five Priorities: Fun Car, Rear legroom, Not too high Maintenance
> Type of Fuel: Petrol
> Type of Segment: Sedan

I am obsessed with the Civic AT (2011/2012). Its satisfies all my requirements, only gripe being its low GC.
Civic may seem to be a good choice, but keep in mind the maintenance cost will be on the upper side for various reasons (out of production, D-segment, etc)

Going by your requirements I would suggest
1) Honda City
+ Rear leg room
+ Better FE
+ Proven work horse
- Not that Fun to drive (neither sluggish though)

2) Fiat Linea T-Jet
+ Fun to drive
+ Solid Build
- Poor after sales network
- Cramped rear
- Rattle noise and other minor issues
You may consider the MJD engine option as well.

If you can relax the criteria on Maintenance, bellow are the choices
1) Honda Civic
2) Skoda Laura
3) Mitsubishi Cedia
4) Chevrolet Optra Magnum 2.0

I would suggest Fiat Linea as you are in Mumbai, service shouldn't be a problem. Fiesta classic is good but compared to Linea I was told that Ford spares are bit costly.

Thread Starter #7
Thank you for the all your replies.

I like the Verna and Linea. But the rear seat is a little inconvenient in both cars because we're tall people.

City is good. I'll look for it at dealers near my place.
But seeing a Civic, City absolutely fades in comparison.

Get a honda city, not a fun to drive car but a ''fill it and forget'' type car.
1) Honda City
- Not that Fun to drive (neither sluggish though)
I don't know how you guys didn't feel fun when you have driven Honda City. I might agree if it is 2nd gen (dolphin model) because I didn't feel comfortable driving that model either but I beg to disagree if you are saying about 3rd gen.

I own a 3rd Gen Honda City VMT for nearly 2.5 years now and still today, I enjoy driving it. If the roads were better here then I'ed never get of out my car. [:D]

Last edited:
I don't know how you guys didn't feel fun when you have driven Honda City. I might agree if it is 2nd gen (dolphin model) because I didn't feel comfortable driving that model either but I beg to disagree if you are saying about 3rd gen.
Drive a Fiat T-Jet / VW GT series / Skoda VRS to understand yourself what do we mean.

I have a dolphin model city and a polo. After driving polo i found that city is a boat and not a car.After driving polo for a few months i took the city once for a ride, on the highway there used to be a spot where i always make a U TURN, i gave the same amount of force i give in the polo steering, to my shock the car was still not making the turn!

But in city traffic ''city'' is the best , polo manual just gives workout for your feet and hands.

Last edited:
Drive a Fiat T-Jet / VW GT series / Skoda VRS to understand yourself what do we mean.
Looks like you are specific to engine and indeed iVtec is no match for those engines you have mentioned.

I have driven Fiat Linea, Skoda Octavia, VW Vento and other sedans (At the time of buying my car) but all were diesel head and I felt bulky driving experience in city. In the highway, these cars were better because of turbo I think.

However, I have not driven petrol models of the same so I don't know how good they
are. I will see if I can find a car to experience but still I don't agree to Honda City 3rd gen is not fun to drive. Not about the engine but overall experience. [:)]

I have a dolphin model city and a polo. After driving polo i found that city is a boat and not a car.After driving polo for a few months i took the city once for a ride, on the highway there used to be a spot where i always make a U TURN, i gave the same amount of force i give in the polo steering, to my shock the car was still not making the turn!
Polo is a hatchback so it has to be easy to drive around city, hence more fun. Sedan is better in highways or long distance drive.

But in city traffic ''city'' is the best , polo manual just gives workout for your feet and hands.
I think this is the goodness of vtec or ivtec. [:)]

Last edited:
Honda city is no match for Polo. While deciding for which car to buy, i took a short (2 minutes) test drive on city and i started hating the car. No offence to any one. But i can say city is not a driver's car.

You may also consider a ford fiesta titanium 2011 or may be later considering your budget. FE may be not that good but sure it's a fun to run. However if you're considering verna please spend a little more time with it. I hope you will avoid it.

Last edited by a moderator:
How come I forgot Fiesta 1.6? That's again a best choice. For your budget you could get a Titanium variant, less than couple of years old.

Looks like you are specific to engine and indeed iVtec is no match for those engines you have mentioned.
Not at all. Who cares only about the engine (except the one who is interested in generators) I'm speaking about the complete package, entire car. Right from the engine / power train, suspension, steering, brakes, everything.
However, I have not driven petrol models of the same so I don't know how good they are.
That's why I said, have a drive and understand yourself.
I don't agree to Honda City 3rd gen is not fun to drive.
Who cares if you agree or not, the one who knows the fact is least bothered.
Not to forget I / we never mentioned City is sluggish, all that we said is it isn't fun to drive compared with the other cars mentioned earlier.

Last edited:

Top Bottom