5 or 7 Seater Car Options: Budget Max. 15L On-Road

Thread Starter #1
Hi Team,

We are looking forward to add a new ride to our stable and have the below considerations in front of us. Would highly appreciate inputs!!

1. We already have a 2011 Honda City VX with only around 30K on the odo. This car will stay for a few more years to come.
2. Looking forward to a 7 seater (Full time or part time). All seven seats will be used only on a couple of occasions in the entire year.
3. Should be reliable as it will be maintained driven by my F-I-L or at times his driver.
4. Max budget is 15L. Cannot be stretched beyond that.

Following are the options I had in mind:

1. XUV 5OO:
+ VFM product
+ Full time 5 which can be used as a 7 seater, albeit the boot space.
- ASS considerations - hit or miss

2. Hyundai Creta:
+ Newest kid on the block
+ Quite handsomely loaded
+ Hyundai's reliability
- Can seat only 5. No option of 7 seats (Though not a deal breaker)
- Pricing

3. Renault Lodgy:
+ VFM product
+ 7 seats with some decent boot space
- Is it really selling?
- Might become more popular as a taxi in coming days (as a Innova replacement)
- Servicing
- Ground clearance on full load

I have purposely left out Duster, Safari Storme, Ertiga, Mobilio for the following reasons:

(These are strictly my personal opinion and I mean no offence to anyone on the forum)

Duster: Even with the face lift, still feels out-dated
Safari Storme: Strictly a 5-seater, misses out on some features which competition is offering, too bulky for F-I-L to manage
Ertiga: Did not find it comfortable enough on my Pune - Udaipur drive, Felt it a bit under powered with 7 on-board
Mobilio: Already have a Honda, Interiors feel drab.

We also have an Ecosport diesel top-end, so might keep it lower down the wish list.

Would highly appreciate inputs on which other cars can we look at OR which would be a better buy from the above three contenders.

Long term reliability would be a key factor for us.

MODS: If a similar topic already exists, can you please merge this thread? I could not find a specific thread so created a new one.

Re: 5 or 7 seater options - Budget max. 15L on-road

out of three cars mentioned by you, xuv is the VFM. It's a good opnion when compared to renaut lodgy which hardly sells.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
In 7 seats, there is as such no comfortable option at present in India. All 7 seaters as of now are make-shift options. However, to choose from available options and in your budget, XUV-AT is there and for some odd reason, I feel in comparison to Mobilio, you should give a try to Lodgy. Also, there was a news that Lodgy might get an AMT option too. If you have scope to extend your budget, then go for a AT because in long drives, AT are much stress free. In 5 seater, if you wish, check for Brezza too. Brezza however has no AT and a dated but proven 1.3 Diesel unit. Other than Brezza, try out Ecosport or even TUV-3OO if you are willing to live with it. And lastly, if you have some time to wait then wait for BR-V.

Regards

Akash

Why not try a new Scorpio, which is well in your budget and a proper 7 seater too. Check out the 2/3 year old used innova or old gen Innova is still available in show rooms here in Kochi. Not sure about the situation there and I have no idea about the new innova pricing.

Thread Starter #5
Thank you @pravin1987, @Akash1886 and @Releesh for your valuable comments!

I believe the Honda BRV is just around the corner and we would like to wait and watch how it unfolds vis-a-vis the competition. Since we are looking at June/July time frame, by then we'll have some quality reviews of the car here and other sites.

People would be in a better position to suggest you appropriately if we had the following answers for your requirements:-

What's the age of your FIL who would be driving the car

Does he prefer a manual or auto transmission

Is it for city or highway purpose or both ( ratio wise)

How kilometres approx will you be travelling per year

Do you prefer petrol diesel or lpg/cng

When you travel with 7 people what volume of luggage do you carry

Top Bottom