Need Help - Pre Owned Sedans Within Rs.4.5L

Thread Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on TAI, feeling excited since i have decided to get myself a pre-owned sedan.

At the same time confused with all the options around so have come to the right place for gathering wisdom from the forum.

Please enlighten me with your experiences and thoughts on my quest :)

> Your Budget: 3 - 4.5 Lakhs

> New or Used: Used Car

> Your Location: Chennai

> Top Five Priorities: Safety, Comfort,Design,Low Maintenance,Luggage Space

> Monthly Running: 1000Kms

> Type of Fuel: Petrol

> For What Purpose: Regular City and Highway once a month

> Seating Capacity: 5 Adults

> Type of Segment: Sedan

I had zeroed in on three cars Honda City, Maruthi SX4 & Hyundai Accent.

Due to recent floods in Chennai most of the cars which i get to see in the dealers are rectified flooded vehicles, which looks alright overall but closer inspection reveals the hidden truth.

All in all doubting the used car purchase itself due to disappointment

Based in your experiences, kindly let me know which would serve the purpose among the three cars.

Thanks,
Jey

Re: Need Help - Pre Owned Sedans within 4.5L

Don't go with SX4 or Accent as accent didn't come with ABS or airbags & SX4 was never a hot-selling car. You can go for a City or Civic you can also look for an Etios which offer decent safety kit.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Buddy, Welcome On board TAI.[:)] I own an I-Vtec CITY and have a petrol SX4 too so in comparison, I'll say Honda CITY is the best bet. Go for Ivtec CITY. SX4 petrol is too poor in FE.

Regards

Akash

era of accent is over, spares are higher cost. SX4 has a good clearence but one of the rare failures from maruthi.

why not a swift dzire? You can get a swift dzire lxi,vxi at the price of 4.50.

If you are searching in chennai for a car, i suggest you to wait I was searching for a hatchback for my parents and i checked out 11 cars and all are flood affected be it dealers or owners none of them mentioned. you can wait or search in other cities.

Thread Starter #5

Don't go with SX4 or Accent as accent didn't come with ABS or airbags & SX4 was never a hot-selling car. You can go for a City or Civic you can also look for an Etios which offer decent safety kit.
Agree with you $andy on the safety options on Accent, but what other options do i have from the MS stable for sedans? had a TD on Etios i felt the driving position on the lower side hence didn't opt for it.

Buddy, Welcome On board TAI.[:)] I own an I-Vtec CITY and have a petrol SX4 too so in comparison, I'll say Honda CITY is the best bet. Go for Ivtec CITY. SX4 petrol is too poor in FE.
Regards
Akash
Thanks a lot Buddy, Glad to get your views since you have the combined drive experience on both cars, I was first sold out on the Ivtec [:D] the moment i took a test drive wanted to get the reviews from professional petrol heads so that I'm not getting too biased towards City.

saw a dealer listing for, A 2009 Honda City having 83K done on ODO, single owned company vehicle in Chennai has an asking price of 4.3L. I find the cost a bit steep what do you guys think?

Based on the reliability factor what are the things to be noted when cars go past the 1L Kms in a honda?

Regards,
Jey

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Thanks a lot Buddy, Glad to get your views since you have the combined drive experience on both cars, I was first sold out on the Ivtec the moment i took a test drive wanted to get the reviews from professional petrol heads so that I'm not getting too biased towards City.

saw a dealer listing for, A 2009 Honda City having 83K done on ODO, single owned company vehicle in Chennai has an asking price of 4.3L. I find the cost a bit steep what do you guys think?

Based on the reliability factor what are the things to be noted when cars go past the 1L Kms in a honda?
I would say first if you can post some pics of the CITY it would be easy for us to judge buddy. Second, I would say, negotiate the price to 4.10-4.15Lac since the car is already 83K Kms as on date. Lastly, being maintained by company and driven by single owner, I assume it would be in good condition so not much to be worried about. As of the life of petrol engine post 1L Kms, in Honda, you can be assured of a fuss free ownership. The I-vtec is a reliable petrol mill. Usually, petrol engines if maintained well can last upto 2-2.5 Lac kms. I also have a 10year old Esteem Vxi which has clocked 1.8+ Lac kms on petrol engine and still the engine head is sealed. Not a single issue with the engine till now. Just the oil change interval has become 7K instead of 10K kms.

Regards

Akash

As everyone suggested, go for the Honda City i-vtec, 3rd Gen. It satisfies all your criteria and you will have a fuss free ownership with the Honda. Just ignore both the Accent and the SX4, as both are discontinued. The 3rd Gen Honda City is the best City after the OHC vtec.

The next best bet would be the Toyota Corolla. You could get a good deal for the 2005-2008 models.

Last edited:

Hey jeyl, welcome to TAI. As you listed above 3 cars, honda city is the best option than other two. It fits in all your requirements. Please post some pics of the car you have seen.

Thread Starter #9
Hey jeyl, welcome to TAI. As you listed above 3 cars, honda city is the best option than other two. It fits in all your requirements. Please post some pics of the car you have seen.
Thanks Akins
As everyone suggested, go for the Honda City i-vtec, 3rd Gen. It satisfies all your criteria and you will have a fuss free ownership with the Honda. Just ignore both the Accent and the SX4, as both are discontinued. The 3rd Gen Honda City is the best City after the OHC vtec.

The next best bet would be the Toyota Corolla. You could get a good deal for the 2005-2008 models.
Thanks VaishakDazzler,Will check it out too.

I would say first if you can post some pics of the CITY it would be easy for us to judge buddy. Second, I would say, negotiate the price to 4.10-4.15Lac since the car is already 83K Kms as on date. Lastly, being maintained by company and driven by single owner, I assume it would be in good condition so not much to be worried about. As of the life of petrol engine post 1L Kms, in Honda, you can be assured of a fuss free ownership. The I-vtec is a reliable petrol mill. Usually, petrol engines if maintained well can last upto 2-2.5 Lac kms. I also have a 10year old Esteem Vxi which has clocked 1.8+ Lac kms on petrol engine and still the engine head is sealed. Not a single issue with the engine till now. Just the oil change interval has become 7K instead of 10K kms.

Regards

Akash
Sorry didn't get many pics of the car except the front profile [frustration],
Will check back with the dealer and if the car is still available and any other new arrivals.
Since had to travel to native over the long weekend couldn't respond earlier.

Thanks,
Jey

Attachments

> Your Budget: 3 - 4.5 Lakhs
> Type of Fuel: Petrol
> Type of Segment: Sedan

I had zeroed in on three cars Honda City, Maruthi SX4 & Hyundai Accent.
Without a second thought go for City with eyes closed (if one to be chosen from your list)

If you are open for suggestions, please continue reading below.
1) Ford Fiesta 1.6
The only car in this segment to match the performance of City. 100 horses underhood and balanced suspension offers excellent Ride & Handling with a decent rear seat and boot space. Top end comes with safety package. The only downside I see is higher maintenance (on long run) and relatively lower FE (when compared with Honda)

2) Toyota Corolla
Simply, a segment above. Globally proven work horse with decent city drive ability and highway performance, unlike the Fun to Drive factor available in Civic.

If you could relax the criteria of "low maintenance cost" Civic and Cedia can make you go mad with the power delivery and the acres of space inside.

Thread Starter #11
Without a second thought go for City with eyes closed (if one to be chosen from your list)
If you are open for suggestions, please continue reading below.
1) Ford Fiesta 1.6
The only car in this segment to match the performance of City. 100 horses underhood and balanced suspension offers excellent Ride & Handling with a decent rear seat and boot space. Top end comes with safety package. The only downside I see is higher maintenance (on long run) and relatively lower FE (when compared with Honda)

2) Toyota Corolla
Simply, a segment above. Globally proven work horse with decent city drive ability and highway performance, unlike the Fun to Drive factor available in Civic.

If you could relax the criteria of "low maintenance cost" Civic and Cedia can make you go mad with the power delivery and the acres of space inside.
Thanks for the inputs Mr Boss, a major constraint is the high maintenance so going for the models stated is sadly not possible.

Someone had booked the car at the dealer :frown:, so its no longer available.
Looks like i need to wait to get some other deals,a 2010 Sx4 VXI was available for 3.5l in Maruti True value with Odo 45k, Car looks fresh and well maintained with good interiors.
Considering the recent need for the car am in two minds either to go for another sedan or wait for the elusive city [thinking]

Thanks,
Jey

2010 Sx4 VXI was available for 3.5l in Maruti True value with Odo 45k, Car looks fresh and well maintained with good interiors.
Considering the recent need for the car am in two minds either to go for another sedan or wait for the elusive city [thinking]
SX4 is one of the under rated car in it's segment. Do a back to back test drive of City & SX4, if you are satisfied with the performance and features of SX4 go for it.

I could see a plenty of City in Olx and Quikr. Leave the dealers apart and try checking these classifieds, you should get a good deal from direct seller.

Thread Starter #13
SX4 is one of the under rated car in it's segment. Do a back to back test drive of City & SX4, if you are satisfied with the performance and features of SX4 go for it.

I could see a plenty of City in Olx and Quikr. Leave the dealers apart and try checking these classifieds, you should get a good deal from direct seller.
Thanks for all the inputs guys [clap], I have decided to go for SX4 based on the test drive done, loved the handling and the GC since i have to drive on uneven and shoddy roads most of the time.
The car is in good condition had it checked with few of my knowledgeable friends who are in the automotive line of business.

Top Bottom