Replacement For Matiz: New Sedan Under Rs.12 Lakh

Thread Starter #1
Hi all,
We are gonna change our 15 year old Daewoo Matiz and I am willing to buy a sedan.I am a long time admirer of honda City,but I would like to be sure rather than being driven just by looks.Which is the best sedan to buy ~12 lakhs?I want to buy petrol only as people say petrol needs lesser maintenance over time and quieter.I stay at a small town and the road occasionally breaks.Have already taken test drive with a honda city vx diesel,but it was not as good as a innova on broken roads(and the sales person told me I cant compare between those two,maybe he is right?).But on healthy roads it ran like a perfect.
Yet to take a ciaz test drive.I am unable to create a new thread here for this question but I am a newbie here and seems I dont have that privilege.
So please share your views regarding which car to buy in the same range.
I am willing to ignore mileage if ride quality is better.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Welcome to tai. Why do you want to own a sedan if the roads are not that good.

I'd recommend to buy the duster petrol variant Rxl. I am sure you will feel the ride to be better than inmova and within your budget. ( can't comment on the mileage)

I wouldn't buy the ciaz. The interiors are very flimsy although i like the exterior looks.

But if you want to buy a petrol sedan then try the honda city and the fluidic verna. I own a fluidic verna and i get a mileage of 12 kmpl in summers (sometimes even 10 )and around 14-15 in winters.

And since your main priority is ride comfort , verna will be better than the honda city because of the soft suspesnion. city will ride better on a highway. Ironic.

Do take a td of duster and you will feel the advantage of owning one.

Last edited:
Well buddy. Mine have same condition. The main road in front of our home has broken and very narrow. Welcome to TAI. If a petrol sedan you need, then go for honda city ivtec mt. It is more car than all cars. And yes, the ride quality at slow speed is bumpy. But at high speed, the ride quality is unmatched with the sofa like comfortable seats. And this is the car in which you get all, features, space, comfort, performance etc. If you want diesel, simply goes for vento or rapid TDI. I don't recommend ciaz petrol, because for me, a petrol sedan should be 100+ horse power(only my view, no offence plz). And also you can check the duster rxl petrol as allhyundaicars said. It has very good ride quality. But if it will sedan or will be petrol, then highly recommended car is honda city. At first, your mind never satisfy with the build quality. But it is the highest scored car in ASEAN NCAP crash test.

Thread Starter #4
Thank you both for your kind replies.
I did not consider verna because google says ciaz and city are the 2 most selling sedans in India.But will think on that now. But still I prefer city's looks more over verna.
If I buy city,which model do you prefer?I surely shall buy a petrol model but I am not quite sure about dependability on those latest technologies of push button start,electric sunroof,touch screen ac control panel etc.Those are really cool features but are they more prone to break down?Or my worries are baseless?
Duster is a suv right?actually I dont want to buy a suv.So that comfort of a duster or innova is not obtainable in these sedans?

Last edited:
Yes buddy, this is a good question. If the climate condition in your locality is not so hot and if the locality you are living is dusty, then sunroof is not necessary. If you can live without smart key, then go fo v mt model. Because this variant has everything without sunroof, smart key, and leather upholestry. Mine is v mt. And vx is about 1.3 lakhs costlier than v. So, its not a VFM comparing with v. So, v is what i prefer. It has all the features. Now its come with child seat anchor point. And don't worry about the features. I have no idea on depandability of smart keys. But touch screen climate control is there in volvo cars. So, i have no problem with it. It is very sensitive. And honda products last long. Because japanese engineers are best in the world.

Last edited:
Hi all,
We are gonna change our 15 year old Daewoo Matiz and I am willing to buy a sedan.I am a long time admirer of honda City,but I would like to be sure rather than being driven just by looks.Which is the best sedan to buy ~12 lakhs?I want to buy petrol only as people say petrol needs lesser maintenance over time and quieter.I stay at a small town and the road occasionally breaks.Have already taken test drive with a honda city vx diesel,but it was not as good as a innova on broken roads(and the sales person told me I cant compare between those two,maybe he is right?).But on healthy roads it ran like a perfect.
Yet to take a ciaz test drive.I am unable to create a new thread here for this question but I am a newbie here and seems I dont have that privilege.
So please share your views regarding which car to buy in the same range.
I am willing to ignore mileage if ride quality is better.
if you're keen on buyind a sedan go for a ciaz or vento. if you could strech a little on ur budget vento is the best option.

He need a petrol. Ciaz petrol is underpowered. Vento TSI is come with the DSG box, reliability of those DSG is not very predictable. The only car with petrol is honda city which is unbeatable. Don't go for maruti, it will give some extra pains as their long term maintanance is high. As for e.g. In honda car, engine oil isn't change in 1st service, but in maruti, engine oil should be change in 1st service. I have a 2002 maruti 800, it has a problem with coolants. Only >20000 k.m can be travel with a new filling of coolant. But honda claims that their factory fitted coolant last till 200000k.m.s. Now i realize the difference between maruti and other brand. Maruti is no more maintanence free car for me.

1.How much do you drive monthly? You may need a diesel if you drive a lot.
2.Look for cars with good rear seats and leg space.
Based on reviews i suggest some cars
1.Renault scala rxl petrol ,
2.verna ,skoda,vento does not have good rear seats compared to city.
3.Nissan sunny xv safety pack.
City is a weak built car, international city and the one offered in india are of different standards.

Do post a ownership review of your matiz.

Last edited:
City is a weak built car, international city and the one offered in india are of different standards.
[/QUOTE]who says that international and indian city are different standard? The car used for ASEAN NCAP test is an sv version with two airbags from thailand. And international city and indian city are only 30-40k.g. Different, this is because of more features. Even the Thai model is 15 k.g. Lighter than the indian. So, not go through the thin metal sheet. Also thin metals help the car during major crash, this type of metal can absorb more shock and increase the shock absorbing ability during crash. Though car is badly wracked from outside, passenger shelf is safe during crash. Our general folks thought that if matel is thin, than car is not safe.

Thread Starter #10
Thanks for coming in.
My car usual has a run of 100-200 km usually a month.in more than average months it may run ~500 kms and in those month with exceptional usage may run 1000kms.With this much of low usage I consider petrol a better option than diesel,apart from the advantages over noise and maintenance cost.
I reside near Asansol,W.B and I dont find a VW dealer nearby.So I would prefer to stay away from it.
My primary selections were city and ciaz. Verna could be counted in too but I am not sure what benefits shall I get more from it over city.Amongst these 3, I like city's look more than the rest 2 cars.
If have any knowledge or opinion to counter my choice of city,please share.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
City has lots of cost cutting. In January my friend bought the verna on my recommendation. He bought the s variant i guess and when we compared with city's equaivalent feature , city had less features and over a lakh rs difference after factoring in all the discounts.
You won't believe but hyundai made a book mentioning city's cost cuttings and comparing them with the verna. I guess you are looking for the top end variant. Will compare the two and for the time being visit both the dealers and get the prices.

Thread Starter #12
City has lots of cost cutting. In January my friend bought the verna on my recommendation. He bought the s variant i guess and when we compared with city's equaivalent feature , city had less features and over a lakh rs difference after factoring in all the discounts.
You won't believe but hyundai made a book mentioning city's cost cuttings and comparing them with the verna. I guess you are looking for the top end variant. Will compare the two and for the time being visit both the dealers and get the prices.
Can you please share what extra features verna got over city?ya I am thinking about the VX model of city

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Can you please share what extra features verna got over city?ya I am thinking about the VX model of city
Verna over city
Projector headlamps
6 airbags
16" alloy wheels
Rain sensing wipers
Auto headlamps
Audio video navigation (in city you will have to buy vx (0) which will cost 32k more ex showroom)

City over verna
2 airbags
Cruise control
Sunroof
Rear ac vents
15" alloy wheels

Rest of the features are same. (Small features difference like verna has glove box cooling and city have lane change indicator both useful)
Verna's sx (o) and city vx costs exactly the same but in verna you can get 40-50k discount easily. Honda will not give you any discounts. Do visit any hyundai dealer and ask if they have a comparison chart between the city and the verna mentioning the cost cuttings in city. Do update what you decide.

Last edited:

Top Bottom