Recently Learnt Driving. Buying a New Car. Confused

Thread Starter #1
First of all, my regards to all my seniors here as I am a new member and this is my first post.
I am totally confused and not able to make my mind on Three questions:-

Q 1. As I have recently learnt driving, in a driving school, whether I should go for a manual transmission car or a auto transmission car?

Q 2. Should I go for Petrol or diesel car?

Q 3. Which car Should I choose?

My Budget is Rs 9.00 Lakhs on road, an hatchback, Per month car usage will be around 600 KM, both city and highway usage, will be keeping the car for at least 8 years, Want to avoid Maruti or Tata cars.

My requirements in the order of priority:-
1. Safety
2. Engine performance (But max speed will be 100kph, not more in any case)
3. Dealership and after sales service.
4. Appearance
5. Seating capacity preferably 5.
5. Other features like entertainment, other luxury features.

Kindly help, please........[confused][confused]

Akash1886

Honoured Member
First of all, my regards to all my seniors here as I am a new member and this is my first post.
Welcome aboard Shubham. Have a great time on The Automotive India.[:)]

Q 1. As I have recently learnt driving, in a driving school, whether I should go for a manual transmission car or a auto transmission car?
At large the motor training schools have manual transmission cars to teach driving on so assuming that you too learnt your driving on a manual transmission car so I would say improvise your skills first and develop co-ordination and reflexes with a manual transmission equipped car and then once you are convinced of your reflexes both in city and highway driving and you are able to drive confidently during night times then you may graduate to a Automatic Transmission Car.

As per your monthly running, Petrol car would be a wise option.

In price of 9 lacs, you can buy sedan, premium hatchback, compact sedans and even a compact SUV.

My Budget is Rs 9.00 Lakhs on road, an hatchback, Per month car usage will be around 600 KM, both city and highway usage, will be keeping the car for at least 8 years, Want to avoid Maruti or Tata cars.
Keeping a car for 8 years and avoiding Maruti[clap] That's some guts man! TATA I can understand, many people feel afraid for owning a TATA vehicle for a long time.

1. Safety
4. Appearance
I can think of, Honda City I-vtec, Honda Amaze(Facelift), Honda Jazz, Ford Aspire, Ford Figo, Ford Ecosport, Elite i20, Polo Petrol could be a good choice too but yes ASC Network and Rear Seats are 2 reasons why I am avoiding it.

Regards

Akash

Test drive a latest Tata car and you wouldn't be saying this again. The Bolt, Zest and Tiago are that good.

Thread Starter #4
By getting acquainted to driving the manual transmission you mean temporarily getting a car for few days/months and driving it or buying a new manual transmission car use it for as long as I want and after then go for auto transmission?

Bang!!

Just out of school, and straight away 9 big ones for a first car, sure you are a gutsy person.

Lets get down to the basics, you want a car to carry you from point A to point B, and once in a blue moon a highway dash.

As @Akash has wisely advised you need a petrol only.

Now jot down how many of you and family will be travelling together...most of the times, shortlist roughly your needs, then make a list of the cars which you longed for or which brings a smile to your face.

Somewhat sorted, now TD with the latest in the market, and as @DJ Bro suggests, start with the Tiago, KUV, so on and so forth.

Come back to us with your questions on the shortlisted cars, and let the guru's answer.

Happy shopping.

Vinod

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Safety
4. Appearance

Kindly help, please........[confused][confused]
i recommend you the hyundai i20 or the polo

I suggest you to try Hyundai's, if your plan is to avoid Maruti and TATA ,then try Hyundai's.
Can you say why you don't want maruti, because i had a wagonr and i went again for Swift, i find Maruti has improved a lot in standards.
Hyundai is true performer and has lots of gizmos in offer,but the service costs are not that pocket friendly, and for the price one pays for the parts the parts life is under question.
Rough use-Hyundai best (It withstands the abuse)
Most other brands won't withstand this.

@Shubham
Go automatic, it's good to know how to drive a manual but manuals are a pain to drive in current traffic scenario.
I would suggest you to buy either a Figo DCT automatic or a Polo GT TSi, both are awesome hatchbacks and worth every single penny they ask for. There are options like Jazz CVT also but nothing like fun to drive in that.

Manual: Only Honda City i-VTEC, none else.

manual or automatic: My suggestion is manual as there is a engine braking and the wear/tear of brake components are high in automatics.

Old or New: My suggestion is old. May be a 3 year old car. Practice and make all you mistakes. If there is a small dent or scratch in a new car, it pains a lot.

What car? Very confusing as there are lot of options to pick from the market

If you to go for old car, get yourself a swift( you can never go wrong with maruti in terms of long term relaiblity and maintainence).

If a new car: going my 9 lakhs on road

Compact SUV: vitara breeza
sedan: Tata zest, swift dzire
hatchback: Polo, swift,

Q 3. Which car Should I choose? ... Budget is Rs 9.00 Lakhs ... order of priority ...
  1. I had my 11 lessons in the Driving school. The 12th session was on the Matiz, when I took delivery, with family; no other driver. If you believe in yourself, go for a new car.
  2. Go for Petrol.
  3. Within your Budget, which all cars appeal to you ? Then start rating these cars against each item in your "order of priority", say on a 1 to 5 scale. When you total up, you'll be able to rank the cars.
BTW, at this Budget, why don't you look at EcoSport with 1.5-litre Petrol engine (because it is a Ford) and Vitara Brezza (though it is Diesel only as of now).

Good luck

Thread Starter #14
Thanks all, really humbled by all your suggestions...still making up my mind.
My type of car is hatchback so I guess choices are polo, swift, i10, 20, jazz, figo.....
Fuel type petrol as suggested by all of you.

I am really keen on polo, i20 or jazz and figo of course
Just wanted to know about safety and engine performance of petrol versions of the these cars......
Also my driving will be on highways for most of the times. Approx 65-35 ratio highway and city driving

These following revenues will give you an overview.

Jazz vs Elite i20 vs VW Polo vs Maruti Swift - 2015 Honda Jazz vs Hyundai Elite i20 vs VW Polo vs Maruti Swift: Comparison | The Economic Times Mobile

Maruti Suzuki Baleno vs Hyundai Elite i20 vs Honda Jazz vs Volkswagen Polo: Spec Comparison | ZigWheels.com

Comparison: Maruti Suzuki Baleno vs Jazz vs Elite i20 vs Polo vs Punto EVO - The New Indian Express

You may ask specific questions on each model and respective owners would then be able to answer.

Test drive Baleno, EcoSport, i20, Jazz, Polo (in Alphabetic Order, nothing else) in that "Mad traffic Mysuru NH" and see which car you like overall.

Top Bottom