Upgrade From Santro Xing: Require a Spacious and Economical Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Hi folks,

Decided to upgrade from 10 year old Santro Xing erlx and try a new car in 6 lakh range (prefer to try out a diesel). Please help to choose a Spacious and Economical Car.
details:
> Your Budget: Rs.6 Lakh
> New or Used: New Car
> Your Location: Kerala
> Top Five Priorities: Comfort for 5 Adults, Safety, Ground Clearance, Decent fuel economy, Low Maintenance
> Monthly Running: Between 1,200 to 1,400 Kms
> Type of Fuel: Diesel (Not very particular, but should be more fuel efficient than santro. My Santro returs 12 to 14km/l.)
> For What Purpose: Regular City Use, weekend highway trips to native (150 - 200km including return)
> Seating Capacity: 5 Adults in Comfort (5 plus size adults - car pooling to office)
> Type of Segment: Hatchback, Sedan or MUV (should have good ground clearance - Poor Roads)

My usage is mainly on Poor Roads, Hilly area with very bad roads
Nice to have features:
- Parents should be able to get in and out of the car without much strain and effort (Santro is good in that aspect).
- Upright Seating position similar to Santro Xing.
- Rear seat should be comfortable esp for my parents (Santro has bouncy ride at rear).
- Decent fuel economy (my Santro returns 12 to 14km/l).
- Luggage space greater than Santro Xing.

Last edited:
Re: Upgrade from Santro Xing - Require a Spacious and Economical Car

Hi folks,

Decided to upgrade from 10 year old Santro Xing erlx and try a new car in 6 lakh range (prefer to try out a diesel). Please help to choose a Spacious and Economical Car.
details:
> Top Five Priorities: Comfort for 5 Adults, Safety, Ground Clearance, Decent fuel economy, Low Maintenance
> Type of Fuel: Diesel (Not very particular, but should be more fuel efficient than santro. My Santro returs 12 to 14km/l.)
> For What Purpose: Regular City Use, weekend highway trips to native (150 - 200km including return)
> Seating Capacity: 5 Adults in Comfort (5 plus size adults - car pooling to office)
> Type of Segment: Hatchback, Sedan or MUV (should have good ground clearance - Poor Roads)

Nice to have features:
- Parents should be able to get in and out of the car without much strain and effort (Santro is good in that aspect).
- Rear seat should be comfortable esp for my parents (Santro has bouncy ride at rear).
Going by your requirements, you need a big car on small money.
My car suggestion list for you:
1. Tata Bolt: Great on space, ride quality and interiors, reasonable maintenance costs. Luggage space is better than Santro, but not as good as some higher cars. You need to find the right Tata service center for smooth ownership and service. Diesel efficiency: 22kmpl.
2. Maruti Celerio: Decent space and comfort, good petrol engine and noisy, puny diesel. Good luggage space. But it is a very flimsy and low quality car. Diesel efficiency: 27kmpl
3. Hyundai i10: Although old, it's a decent car. Good quality and decent space. Only available in Petrol and GAS. Refined engines and good boot space.
4. Nissan Micra Active: Decent space and quality. Decent engines and decent mileage.

The best here is the Tata Bolt, since it is the perfect fit for the requirements and has the renowned FIAT diesel engine. It's a good highway car as well. It is a big car available with huge discounts.
Take test drives of the cars before making the decision.

tata bolt i would say without blinking my eye.

Tuff car with great mileage. Spacious and has all the bells and whistles one would need to make his ride a luxurious one.

BTW on the mileage front. Just now its been recorded for not 1 or 2 KM, tata bolt was driven for of 1344 KM in one tankful (44 ltrs) which translates to 30kmpl. This is very much achievable on tata cars. It was a turbo petrol car which we have in production. car was not tweaked only driven correctly. See if any other petrol car can boast of such a mileage even on paper.

Last edited:
Hi Sadhu

As TAIgers have already suggested, Tata Bolt seems to be a good fit for your requirements.
You can also look for Ford Figo which looks better than Bolt, and has better handling too!

I will suggest you to wait for TATA Tiago, i have take a pre launch test drive & its spacious, have good quality interior, Interior & exterior look is very good. Diesel engine on tiago is also going to give best in class fuel efficiency (As per tata team) & its going to be priced against maruti celerio so you can expect to get a top end diesel variant under 6.5 Lakh & a mid variant under 6 lakh.

@Sadhu I am an admirer of TATA but when it comes to owning one it NO.

Do check out

1. Swift VXi optional will be <6 in Kerela
2. i10
3. ford figo.. drove it for > 10000 KMS fun to drive and unlike other ford vehicles its low at maintainence.

if you can increase you budget a bit may be you get more options in entry level hatchbacks.

Hi folks,

details:

Nice to have features:
Hi,

Are you still in the hunt? No response since you started this thread.

Do update us.

By the way did you TD the new TIAGO?

OT : Nice user handle @Sadhu

Apart from all other requirement bad road is something which will affect the vehicle you choose. So better to have vehicle with high ground clearance and bigger tyres [may 15" and above]

Now for super comfortable ride on such road, the car must have individual suspension with properly tuned for bad roads. Another factor that will give you comfort is the tyre profile.

If you are really tight on budget then it might be little difficult to find a car at that price with rear seat comfort and Diesel variant. Since you are going to use the car in bad road condition, my suggestion is not to buy without ABS & AIRBAG [Safety First].

You have,
- Tata Bolt XT
- Toyota Etios Liva Vx
- MS Swift Zxi
- Mahindra KUV100 K8 [5/6 seater]
- Ford Figo
- Hyundai Grand i10
- Nissan Micra
- Ranault Pulse

Out of the above the KUV100 has highest GC [170 mm]. Take a test drive before finalizing any car. For easy ingress and egress BOLT and KUV100 is good.

The best part of KUV100 is the head rest for middle passenger on rear seat.
The best part of BOLT is turbo petrol engine.

Thread Starter #12
Hi All,

Thank you for all the support and suggestions.
Bought Etios Liva G (Platinum - with ABS and Airbag) silver colour. Price was 6.64 lakhs on road. Car is spacious.

kkn13

Suspended
Hi All,

Thank you for all the support and suggestions.
Bought Etios Liva G (Platinum - with ABS and Airbag) silver colour. Price was 6.64 lakhs on road. Car is spacious.
Good choice
I hadnt seen this thread initially and trust me , for bad roads, I dont think any of the other hatchbacks could cut it

Etios is a very rough and tough car and will be adequate to tackle bad roads
Toyota is Toyota, Japs make after sales etc a breeze in India(except Mitsu of course)

Go in for the TATA Bolt as you can be free after getting the AMC plan which makes the service costs to be less in most of the case. And as your parents will be accompanying you then TATA bolt has a high seating and getting in and out makes anyone fuss free.

Good option sadhu Liva is a very spacious and comfortable car to be in, specially at the rear. ASS of Toyota can be termed as the best in Kerala. Liva can very well tackle the hilly areas and fan return good fuel efficiency too.
Happy motoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom