Toyota Etios vs Honda City

Thread Starter #1
Hi Folks

Can you suggest your views
I planning buy Toyota etios V petrol car , done body says, if petrol go with Honda city,

Honda city is familiar and experts in petrol with 17-18 ltr/km

But Toyota will give lesser kmpl in petrol

If Toyota , diesel is best

Suggest your best view

Guru

Hey guruiyer1973, welcome to TAI. As your requirement, if you need a petrol,then go for honda city ivtec mt, not cvt. If you want diesel, then please check the verna, vento and rapid. Honda city is the best petrol car under 15 lakhs. It has FE as well as performence.

Thread Starter #4
i driven some 10000 km diesel car , so i may be prefer , but somebody says... if petrol , first option is Honda , if diesel first option is Etios...

due to KMPL , Honda is better than toyota etios on petrol verson

Am i correct

Don't worry about FE. Both of them will return similar figures and in the long run, it won't matter much. You are spending 10 big ones man, I don't think you should be obsessed with FE to this extent. Just sit in both the cars and feel the cabin, I bet you'll go with the City. In case you feel that Etios is more value for money, then only consider it. Etios Petrol is an extremely fun to drive car, but will not be better than City of course. Take a test drive and your opinions will surely change. In Etios, if you are not looking for frugal engine, I would opt for the petrol over diesel. Diesel isn't exciting to drive as the petrol, in Etios.

Etios vs City is like comparing apples to oranges.

Last edited:
i driven some 10000 km diesel car , so i may be prefer , but somebody says... if petrol , first option is Honda , if diesel first option is Etios...

due to KMPL , Honda is better than toyota etios on petrol verson

Am i correct
you can't compare the honda and toyota in terms of petrol. Honda ivtec is way batter. Personally, i suggest you not to go for the etios. As you spend some big numbers, go for a proper c2 segment sedan.

my budget is only 7 to 8 lkhs on road.,

any how i will look for honda
7 to 8 Lac is not enough for the City and stretching your budget just because of the Honda badge is not the best decision. If you are so obsessed with Honda, go for the Amaze. The new version has much better interiors and is priced well in your budget. You can consider going for Diesel Amaze also since it is among the best engines in terms of power. Remember, you still get the Honda badge.

Have a look at official coverage pictures by our member Akash1886 in this thread. Might change your opinion.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/indian-auto-sector/25382-honda-amaze-refresh-launched-rs-5-29-lakh-2.html

if it's between city and etios petrol,then it's city becuase etios is a different segment. When it comes to diesel, go for etios.

you have to stretch your budget for honda city. You can also consider Zest if you are not worried about the Ghost stories about Tata.

Last edited:
Yes. Zest is a good option. Why don't you consider zest xt? It has very good handling as well as good ride quality. Zest is also well equipped.

Yes at the price range of 6.5 to 7.5 lac you could get a fully featured NotchBack ZEST xt.

And yes it is quite fuel efficient too. Built quality is far better than ETIOS. But in case you need more legroom then ETIOS is better to have. Whereas CITY cannot fit into that budget, even if you stretch the budget a lac more still you will not be able to enjoy the pleasure of class as you may get a low variant with very few features.

Also in next year or so, non ABS and Airbag vehicle will no be allowed to produce or sale in INDIA. So the such old vehicle without ABS and AirBag will have a very low resale value. Same thing happen after 1992 in USA, when USA govt. banned on production on Non ABS and Airbag vehicle.

I have done extensive research and have driven etios while I was looking to buy a petrol car 3 months back and ended up buying the tata zest petrol.

Now coming to your query, the petrol engine in etios is a very old engine which was used in older toyota cars in the overseas markets. To keep costs in check they have used this engine in etios as their primary motive was to make a "affordable" car.

You cannot compare etios and city. If you are only looking for mileage and that too above 16 kmpl in city driving conditions then you should go for smaller displacement petrol engines i.e. 1.2 litre engines.

But etios and city are both fun to drive as they both have 1.5 litre engines and due to their lesser kerb weight they are pretty quick.

Now, it boils down to what purpose are you really looking to buy the car.

If its utility and long term purpose then etios wins hands down. Its boot can swallow a house of luggage. Its a real work horse and is immune to abuse.

The only drawbacks are that it is built to a cost. If you can live with that then it suits your purpose. The body of etios is very delicate and you can see that a small touch by any biker or obstacle can create a dent in its body, its the same with honda city as well. honda has screwed quality big time with every update of honda city and it shows.

If you want mileage my friend go for any 1.2 litre engine car
honda amaze
swift dzire
honda jazz
tata zest
hyundai xcent

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14
good information my dear.

But i am looking sedan car with better KMPL , may be i used to travel by Etios diesel i may attached, but your reviews shows, i can look for HONDA and we are in the mind only.

In honda how for its EVERGREEN car instead of Ivtech.

guru

Top Bottom