Which Car Under 20 Lac? Need Advice

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys.

Many of you would be knowing the circumstances due to which we had to sell off two of our cars. My ol' Swift was replaced with a 2014 Swift just 2 days back, which I found in pristine condition (review coming up soon!).

My brother was earlier driving a Dzire VDi, which completed 80k kms in 40 months of ownership. The Baleno, which was bought for parents in Meerut, is doing duty in Gurgaon currently in place of Dzire. The daily run comes close to 70 km, and the car needs a tankful every 8th or 9th day.

Due to the increasing fuel bills and bad drivability (as he is used to Diesels), we have decided to move the Baleno back to Meerut. And for that, we need a car. :biggrin:

Requirements -

> Budget: 15-20 Lacs
> New or Used: Considering both
> Location: Anywhere in NCR
> Top Five Priorities: Should be comfortable for long trips, have a driver-oriented nature (at least decent to drive, if not fun), carry a premium image, be visually appealing inside and out, and be reliable
> Monthly Running: Around 2-2.5k km per month
> Type of Fuel: Diesel only
> For What Purpose: Daily ~60 km office commute (relatively traffic-free roads, 50% well paved) and occasional ~500 km long trips with family
> Seating Capacity: 5 adults in comfort and some decent boot space
> Type of Segment: Full-size sedan or a big UV
> Brands not Considered: Skoda and VW, just because parents would never agree to these two brands due to ASS

The car should have strong low and mid-range. It should be capable of constant high speed (around 100 kmph only) cruising without the need of downshifting for a quick burst. Open to both Manual and Auto tranny. A powerful AC (for rear as well) is needed. 4x4 functionality is not at all necessary, but good to have.

From the little knowledge I have, a new XUV500, Innova, Safari Storme, Altis or Elantra would be in my budget. Otherwise a used Fortuner or Pajero Sport or X1 or Santa Fe would also fit. I have almost zeroed in on the mighty Fortuner. The only hurdle being the price ([lol]) as even second hand rates are very high. Fortuners hardly depreciate! Would like to have your opinions on available options before finalising a car. It is a bit urgent as we need to purchase the car before April end.

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
I agree with fortuner's depriciate rates. Friend just sold his 2 year fortuner , 60k kms for 19,60,000(bought for 27 lakhs) bought himself an audi a6 :p

Coming back to topic , i guess the xuv500 will be a decent upgrade. You get a 7 seater with many features. Dont buy the innova now , the new gen is coming.

Between altis and elantra i like the elantra more because of the shape and features but altis will fetch you better resale plus low maintenence. More confusion for you [lol]
If your family is ok with suv , buy the xuv.

Last edited:
Crysta innova
VW jetta
renault fluence
renault scala.
Elantra is not good for 5 passengers, altis offers only two airbags, vw is fine go for jetta it is less on roads, got safety equipment. Innova crysta will be launched around may, the production of old has stopped. So it is also better to wait for innova.

corolla altis
it checked all of your requirements
can cruise 100 kmph easily
easy ingress and egress for parents
good drivability
reliability
fuel efficient
space
great resale value
excellent ASS
low end and mid range are strength of this car

And take a test drive of this car,
don't judge it by comparing numbers

Last edited:
You have removed the best options in this segment.

VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia are not even considered, which I think are the best options available. I suggest, ask your parents to just TD these cars, even if they do not want to buy them. TD might change the scenario.

Other choices you have Tata Safari and Xuv 500. TD both and any is good to go in case you want S
UV. Second hand Fortuner in good condition is also not a bad choice.

Thread Starter #6
Thank you friends for the replies.

XUV has had a fair share of niggles till around 2014 or so. I would avoid a too much complicated car (in terms of gadgetry, especially because Mahindra guys can't handle/understand them) but XUV500 does make a strong case for itself with the VFM proposition on offer on the lower variants. Have the initial issues been settled now?

Current Innova would surely be carrying good discounts now since the Crysta launch is around the corner. I have doubts about the pricing as new generation might overshoot my budget for a decently-loaded trim. At that time, if the stocks for the older generation run out (as it is a quick moving car), I would be left with no choice but to opt for a used previous gen Innova. Big confusion. [lol]

I have doubts about "Easy ingress and egress" in the Corolla, and most D Segment sedans in general. Though easy ingress/egress is not a major concern since parents will use the car only on long trips, but still it is a pretty strong concern. I have left option for SUVs open for this exact reason.

Regarding Skoda/VW, I know nothing can match Germans in terms of luxury and build quality but my parents won't even think of taking a risk even after spending 20 Lacs. Reading the various horror stories over the internet, even I would not take this gamble. Yes, a test drive may surely change opinions. I've heard that the Octavia is a hoot to drive.

Thread Starter #9
When I had checked out a friend's Cruze (2012 or 2013 model I think), the rear seat was way too uncomfortable. The roof was very close to the head and the legroom was considerably less as compared to the Corolla. Not sure if the current version of the Cruze has improved or not. I know I am comparing two very different cars, one is a sedate family-oriented car while the other is a monster (under the hood), but I don't think my parents would agree to the Chevrolet when they can have a Toyota at that price. [lol]

I don't know why but we are typical brand loyalists. I will try and see if a test drive changes opinions.

Any views about the X1? I personally don't think I should go the BMW way with 2-2.5k per month running and reliability as one of my requirements.

Last edited:
Xuv 500--not a premium vehicle
innova current--production stopped, saw a ad in hindu in which toyota was offering 40k discounts. There is demand among even dealers to get old innova from factory.

Crysta innova--top end model q automatic with 6 airbags may cost around 20 lacs ex showroom.

^^Then IMO nothing in the market is worth 15-20 lac of all we have in the price bracket in the market except the Jetta and Octy. No other suggestions from my end.

The only choice we are left with is XUV (bad in the midst of worse and worst), go and get one DJ Wale Babu.

Hey ice-wise, check the facelifted toyota innova in youtube from japan by autocar. I am impress with the interior. Looks like a 50lakh car.

Thread Starter #15
Vipul Saarji, with a 15+ Lac budget, I don't think one would consider the S Cross. There is no problem in the 1.6 (except for its looks, which are subjective) as such but it is not worth considering with this budget.

After a detailed discussion at home, we had decided that I would get a smaller car and the other car would be something special/big! Otherwise I would have got a used Cruze/Verna for myself and considered the S Cross also. We had started with around a total of 25 Lac (budget) and the breakup for two cars was 12+13 Lac, but now we have decided on 5+20 Lac.

Will be arranging a TD of the Octavia and Jetta on Tuesday and will update then.

Top Bottom