Suggestions Needed On Buying My First *Used* Car

Thread Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

I'm looking to buy my first car in the next 3-4 months. Its going to be the first four wheeler in the family so I'm pretty nervous and excited at the same time.

My budget is about 2 lacs which I can stretch to a maximum of 2.5 lacs. My requirements are pretty basic - hassle free maintenance, easy handling, fuel efficiency, good ride quality and ample space for a family of four. The car would mostly be used within the city ( Delhi).

After some amount of research, I have zeroed in on two cars - Alto 800 ( 2-3 years old) and the Wagon R ( 4-5 years old) . I have decided on these two on the basis of my budget and my requirements.

Please advice me on which car to finally choose. Suggestions other than these two are also welcome.

Re: Suggestions needed for buying my first *used* car

Why don't you look for a used Swift petrol or Ritz petrol? I guess you can easily get a good Swift 1.2 for the money or maybe a Ritz.

Thread Starter #3

I haven't visited any dealer yet but going by the prices quoted on many websites such as cartrade, zig wheels, quikr etc, 3-4 years old Swift and Ritz aren't in my budget :(. Should I look for older models of these two? Or are these website prices overpriced?

Swift should be easily available at that price. alto, altok10, figo are the other options. I would suggest you to stick to maruti as the maintenance cost lest.

Thread Starter #5

Swift should be easily available at that price. alto, altok10, figo are the other options. I would suggest you to stick to maruti as the maintenance cost lest.
Do you mean a 3-4 year old Swift or an older one?

I would suggest you the WagonR. It would come easily in your budget. If you are lucky enough, you can have a well maintained Ritz or old Swift for 2.5 Lac. WagonR is a great car for city driving but has its own share of negatives due to the tallboy design.

Another choice is the i10. 1.2L engine is good to drive within the city, much better than the Waggie. Get a 4-5 year old car as most cars get the biggest depreciation hit in this period.

Thread Starter #7

I would suggest you the WagonR. It would come easily in your budget. If you are lucky enough, you can have a well maintained Ritz or old Swift for 2.5 Lac. WagonR is a great car for city driving but has its own share of negatives due to the tallboy design.

Another choice is the i10. 1.2L engine is good to drive within the city, much better than the Waggie. Get a 4-5 year old car as most cars get the biggest depreciation hit in this period.
Thanks for your response. I have also been inclined towards the Wagon R. I have not considered the i10 as I have heard that Maruti cars are cheaper and easier to maintain and as this is my first car so inexpensive and hassle free maintenance is a top priority.

Be it any class, maruti cars have less maintainence. at your budget, you can get a 5 year old swift. There should be previous gen swift at that price. Wagon r is also a good car. it has better legroom and headroom than swift. You can try alto k10 a superb car also gives you good mileage.

Thread Starter #9

Be it any class, maruti cars have less maintainence. at your budget, you can get a 5 year old swift. There should be previous gen swift at that price. Wagon r is also a good car. it has better legroom and headroom than swift. You can try alto k10 a superb car also gives you good mileage.
Between the newer version of alto k10 which would not be more than a year old I guess and a 3-4 year old Wagon R, which one would you suggest?

Hello Everyone!

I'm looking to buy my first car in the next 3-4 months. Its going to be the first four wheeler in the family so I'm pretty nervous and excited at the same time.

My budget is about 2 lacs which I can stretch to a maximum of 2.5 lacs. My requirements are pretty basic - hassle free maintenance, easy handling, fuel efficiency, good ride quality and ample space for a family of four. The car would mostly be used within the city ( Delhi).

After some amount of research, I have zeroed in on two cars - Alto 800 ( 2-3 years old) and the Wagon R ( 4-5 years old) . I have decided on these two on the basis of my budget and my requirements.

Please advice me on which car to finally choose. Suggestions other than these two are also welcome.
Hi Aakash, welcome to the forum, my suggestion, as this is going to be your family's very 1st 4 wheeler, get hold of a good friend, relative/mechanic, who has decent knowledge of 2nd hand cars or cars in general, as Delhi is a market where even Baalo (sand) sell's, where you will get lost in the quagmire of dealers/brokers.

All the best.

Vinod

Alto & Wagon R both have almost same maintenance cost & both are good cars. i will suggest you to look for some Ritz/Swift/Dzire petrol models, you can easily get these cars in 2.5 L is good condition. try to get a car that have less then 50k in odo & Not used with CNG/LPG. cars with less then 50k in odo should have company fitted tires, that have manufacturing week of around 4 to 8 week before manufacturing date of car, this will help you in finding a car with original km reading in ODO.

Thread Starter #12
Hi Aakash, welcome to the forum, my suggestion, as this is going to be your family's very 1st 4 wheeler, get hold of a good friend, relative/mechanic, who has decent knowledge of 2nd hand cars or cars in general, as Delhi is a market where even Baalo (sand) sell's, where you will get lost in the quagmire of dealers/brokers.

All the best.

Vinod
Thank you for the advice :). I definitely will take a mechanic for inspection while making the purchase. Also, I plan to buy from Maruti True Value so hopefully I'll be able to get a decent condition vehicle.

Alto & Wagon R both have almost same maintenance cost & both are good cars. i will suggest you to look for some Ritz/Swift/Dzire petrol models, you can easily get these cars in 2.5 L is good condition. try to get a car that have less then 50k in odo & Not used with CNG/LPG. cars with less then 50k in odo should have company fitted tires, that have manufacturing week of around 4 to 8 week before manufacturing date of car, this will help you in finding a car with original km reading in ODO.
I'll definitely have a look at Swift/ Ritz also but I'm planning to buy from Maruti's True Value, and they are known to sell at a premium, so I doubt that Swift/Ritz with less than 50K in odo will be available in my budget

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello Sethiaakash3
Welcome to TheAutomotiveIndia.com,
Good to have the pre-set parameters in your first post, and yes For the requisites you have mentioned, Wagon-R fits the bill perfectly.

Would suggest you find one in 2L Range and then keep the other 50K for it's future expenses as used cars tend to be maintained. Would Strongly recommend you find the ads sold through individuals in Quikr OLX etc with a help of a friend/mechanic than the dealers or used car market.

Thread Starter #14

Hello Sethiaakash3
Welcome to TheAutomotiveIndia.com,
Good to have the pre-set parameters in your first post, and yes For the requisites you have mentioned, Wagon-R fits the bill perfectly.

Would suggest you find one in 2L Range and then keep the other 50K for it's future expenses as used cars tend to be maintained. Would Strongly recommend you find the ads sold through individuals in Quikr OLX etc with a help of a friend/mechanic than the dealers or used car market.
Thanks for the suggestion. Would you recommend that I buy privately or through Maruti True Value? I do not plan to purchase through local dealers but I am hoping that the True Value outlets would be reliable enough.

Thanks for the suggestion. Would you recommend that I buy privately or through Maruti True Value? I do not plan to purchase through local dealers but I am hoping that the True Value outlets would be reliable enough.
Also check out Mahindra First Choice, Carnation and Auto Traders. They basically give you a better condition car (after ironing out the visible/noticeable defects and problems) and the cars come with a warranty.

Do note that none of these outlets are reliable/trustworthy enough to blindly make a purchase, you still have to inspect the car thoroughly.

Private purchasing is also good if you get a well-maintained car at a lower-than-average price. The key is to inspect the car before putting your money on it. You may get unlucky even with a certified polished car and may get lucky even with a mint conditon car (bought directly from owner). So, condition matters more than source of the car.

Top Bottom