To Buy or Not: Colleague's Volkswagen Vento in Black

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Hi all,

I am upgrading my car from good old Tata Indica DLG Turbo Silver colour of 2006 make after using it for 6 good years. The returs and memories on this were amazing. Now finally, one of my friends snatched it for his office use and I could not say NO!!! hence now, I am depreived of my car [cry]

Thought will upgrade to a sedan as I have got a good oppurtunity after my friend snatching my old car, which otherwise would not have come to my mind. Now, I am hunting for a Volkswagen Vento Diesel Highline in the used market. My budget is a max of 7 lacs. I have cash in hand ready for it.

After searching many days, i found one of my colleagues Volkswagen Vento Black HIghline TDI of June 2014.
1) It looks good in and out. But he already ate off 54000 kms in these 18 months and quouting a price of 8 lacs!!!

2) And recently everyone knew about the Diesel gate scandal on VW.They said they will recall the vehicles and do the necessary corrections for their faulty emissions scandal free of cost. Infact, they have already issued a notice to recall here in India. Will the engine of 2014 vento be also in the list of this recalls?
Will this hit me in the future or once corrections are made is it fine?

Considering all these points in mind, suggest/guide me as to go with it?
If so, for how much will this black beauty be worth?

Guys, I am depreived of my car, and suggest me at the earliest. Any simple suggestoin of yours in time will help me a lot.

Thanks in advance.

Re: To Buy or not: Colleagues Volkswagen Vento Black

Hi Hari,

Sure a dilemma, when you are going to spend 7 big ones then why 2nd hand? If I were you I would buy new, as you are a experienced Tata customer, TD Zest XMA Diesel, am sure there will be discounts.

And if your buying can wait, (Which am sure will not), Tata Kite5 looks a neat option, A suggestion buy a 2nd hand small hatch for now and wait for the Kite5, (again if you have a need for 2 cars).

Regards

Vinod

Thread Starter #3
Re: To Buy or not: Colleagues Volkswagen Vento Black

Hi Hari,

Sure a dilemma, when you are going to spend 7 big ones then why 2nd hand? If I were you I would buy new, as you are a experienced Tata customer, TD Zest XMA Diesel, am sure there will be discounts.

And if your buying can wait, (Which am sure will not), Tata Kite5 looks a neat option, A suggestion buy a 2nd hand small hatch for now and wait for the Kite5, (again if you have a need for 2 cars).

Regards

Vinod
Vinod,

The only concern for me to move out of Tata branding is the need. I badly want for a full sedan with >450 litres boot. Since Tata does not have this yet.

My main concerns are ride and handling, punchy diesel horse, nice highway and in-city stability, good interiors, and classy interiors and exteriors, sturdy build quality. Basing on all these I zeroed in on Vento - which matches all. And hence gathered that 7Ls. The showroom one costs me 13Ls and I just don't want to go for a loan on car as I am planning to take loan for a new home.

As you say, I did a TD of Zest long back when it was launched and also hunted for used Zest XT Diesels. Only very few good ones are available. Not satisfied with how the owners have maintained them, else it rides very well and fully loaded to the brim - sorry beyond the brim!!! So can't wait that long. And remember this time am looking for a C-segment sedan. Tata will surely take another 2-3 years in launching a good full sedan based on Manza platform. Thought will use this for another 4-5 years and rethink on Tatas, by when Tatas would have been with all models across all segments.

Now,basing on these points, suggest me am I doing wrong? and is it worth for a VW vento Highline Diesel to shell out for a used car, if it is in good condition?

Re: To Buy or not: Colleague's Volkswagen Vento Black

Hi all,

I am upgrading my car from good old Tata Indica DLG Turbo Silver colour of 2006 make after using it for 6 good years. The returs and memories on this were amazing. Now finally, one of my friends snatched it for his office use and I could not say NO!!! hence now, I am depreived of my car [cry]

Thought will upgrade to a sedan as I have got a good oppurtunity after my friend snatching my old car, which otherwise would not have come to my mind. Now, I am hunting for a Volkswagen Vento Diesel Highline in the used market. My budget is a max of 7 lacs. I have cash in hand ready for it.

After searching many days, i found one of my colleagues Volkswagen Vento Black HIghline TDI of June 2014.
1) It looks good in and out. But he already ate off 54000 kms in these 18 months and quouting a price of 8 lacs!!!

2) And recently everyone knew about the Diesel gate scandal on VW.They said they will recall the vehicles and do the necessary corrections for their faulty emissions scandal free of cost. Infact, they have already issued a notice to recall here in India. Will the engine of 2014 vento be also in the list of this recalls?
Will this hit me in the future or once corrections are made is it fine?

Considering all these points in mind, suggest/guide me as to go with it?
If so, for how much will this black beauty be worth?

Guys, I am depreived of my car, and suggest me at the earliest. Any simple suggestoin of yours in time will help me a lot.

Thanks in advance.
7 lakhs for an used car is not recommended. You can very well get a new car. Why can't you try figo aspire or tata zest. You can slightly extend your budget and get one new car and have a problem free ownership. Both zest and aspire are good cars with good ride quality and a decent boot space which will mostly satisfy the needs.

I think,I know the car and should have seen it in an ad in OLX or Quikr. 54000 Km in 1 and half years is too much.He is asking the right price though,as new Vento on road is 12 Lacs.However,do not by a VW Vento that had run almost half its life in 18 months.Taking care of this beast will be hard for you. Premium cars is normally costly to maintain.

Thread Starter #6

7 lakhs for an used car is not recommended. You can very well get a new car. Why can't you try figo aspire or tata zest. You can slightly extend your budget and get one new car and have a problem free ownership. Both zest and aspire are good cars with good ride quality and a decent boot space which will mostly satisfy the needs.
I wanted a VW Vento diesel highline trim, and a full sedan. So, if not 7Ls how much do you think is a right budget for a full sedan with features.

I think,I know the car and should have seen it in an ad in OLX or Quikr. 54000 Km in 1 and half years is too much.He is asking the right price though,as new Vento on road is 12 Lacs.However,do not by a VW Vento that had run almost half its life in 18 months.Taking care of this beast will be hard for you. Premium cars is normally costly to maintain.
Yes he posted in quikr as well. Usually everyone do.

One more question, what will be the usual engine life of a VW diesel motor in number of kms if maintained well with timely services? We see that Toyotas easily run for >2 lac kms.

Toyotas are exceptions.Diesel Engines also can last 2 to 3 lac kilometres before overhaul.But Indian VW vehicles are infamous for its service costs.So whenever a second hand Vento/Skoda buying comes,we normally say not to venture in to that, keeping the costs involved.It is a dream to drive,till it have a breakdown.Then it becomes a nightmare.If you are really interested check with a mechanic and keep some money designated for any untoward repair bills.I am not giving a biased report. Vento is a good car somehow in India, the market gives not so good feedback.

I would say no. Better go for a new car if you are spending close to 7L. You would get some awesome sub4m sedans or sporty hatches in this price. Wait for an year and you have the nexon.

I wanted a VW Vento diesel highline trim, and a full sedan. So, if not 7Ls how much do you think is a right budget for a full sedan with features.
A well maintained Honda city(S or V) 2010/11 model can be negotiated for 5 lakhs. IMHO, for 7 lakhs a second hand car is not a better bet. A new car will be the one.

I think Zest will be the better bet with its 1.3 multijet. <2 lakh kms guaranteed with the engine. Tata also did a good job with interiors and everything is put together perfectly. The next in line would be the figo aspire. With its brilliant 1.5 TDCI and new initiatives by ford to reduce service costs, a fuss free ownership is guaranteed. But the same fuss free ownerships of zest or aspire cannot be guaranteed with the VW's or skoda's.

Re: To Buy or Not: Colleague's Volkswagen Vento Black

Its a June 2014 model, not too old but he have used it for a good 50,000 kilometers. Excluding the high running if everthing else is at excellent condition its a good buy IMO. If you check the value of the used car in Carwale, its coming above 9 Lakhs for both 2012-14 and 2014-15 models. So its almost half the price (7 lakhs for 13 lakhs car) for a 1.7 years old car. Now it is your call to decide based on your priorities. Wish you the very best for your new car, be it any make and model [cheers].

Last edited:
Thread Starter #11

The Volkswagen Vento has scored four stars in the reputed ASEAN NCAP tests. The NCAP or New Car Assessment Program is an automotive safety rating program which evaluates a car’s safety by crashing it in a predefined controlled environment. Conducted in Malaysia, the crash test had the car sourced from Volkswagen Malaysia, which imports the Vento as a CBU from India.

Called Polo Sedan in Malaysia, the Vento sold over there is very similar to the one sold in India, but for some additional features like the side airbags in addition to the dual front airbags. The car assessed was a 1.6-litre variant with a six-speed automatic gearbox.

The Vento scored four stars out of five in both adult occupant and child occupant safety. ASEAN NCAP said that the reason for not giving the Vento a perfect five star rating was due to the lack of Electronic Stability Control (ESC), though the top-end variant sold in India does get this option.

The EU requires all new cars to pass the safety tests before they are sold in the European markets. United States has its own NCAP, which was the first of its kind, Australia and New Zealand have ANCAP, Latin America has the Latin NCAP, China has C-NCAP among others. Though safety is not given much thought in India while buying a car, the NCAP ratings greatly influence the customers’ car buying decisions in several global markets. The lack of the concern towards safety has lead to several manufacturers bringing their cars to India sans many safety features, which are provided in their other markets.

And so, what you guys say now?

A new vento highline will cost 13lacs, the price your friend quotes is fine. Buying at 7 lac is a good deal. But due to facelift the 2014 vento looks very old, but still it is classy.
I think for 7 lac you can get a new hatchback like polo,punto or i20.

The NCAP or New Car Assessment Program is an automotive safety rating program which evaluates a car’s safety by crashing it in a predefined controlled environment.
Is it really necessary to explain what is NCAP in a forum like TAI? [lol]. Jokes apart, I think you have zeroed on Vento, its a great choice, if you are not looking to buy a brand new lower segment car like chevrolet suggested. Try to negotiate the price a bit more citing the high mileage of the car.

Last edited:
A) Buy or Not and what price:
IIRC, the VW Diesel scandal is for higher capacity Diesel engines. I would recommend you to do the following before deciding:

Take the Car to VW Service Center and check the following:
1. Was the car serviced at correct intervals ? If not, any effect on Warranty, if any [;)]
2. Major Repairs done, if any. Any repairs due ?
3. What parts would need to be changed at 60,000 Km Service and cost of those changes.
4. What is the condition of Suspensions, Gear Box, Engine, ECU ?
5. When the tyres would need to be changed ?
6. Their assessment of the Car and its value.
7. Have they got similar car with lesser Odo (under exchange scheme) and the price ? May be some one is upgrading from Vento to Jetta !
8. Do the Seat Covers need replacement ? At what cost ?? (this you can decide).

Answers to these Qs will help you on the "Buy/Not Buy" and the Price.

B) Alternates:
Why bother ? If an 18 month old Vento in good condition (as per a good mechanic) is available at this price, JUST TAKE IT.

Cost of Maintenance:
Find out the estimated cost of next 2 or 3 Services. When do YOU expect to touch these Odo readings ? Finally, it is better to remember that even simple food items are costlier at Reputed / Premium Restaurants [lol]

Good Luck.

PS: This is my 400th post in TAI. Me giggling . . .

Last edited:
18 months-54000 km = average of 3000 km per month or 100 km per day.

Too much wear and tear. I would never buy a car that much used in such a short period of time. VW diesels are not exactly workhorses in the way , lets say, the Renault DCI diesels or even Toyota diesels are. A question you have not answered is why is the person selling off that car ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom