To Buy or Not: The Honda Brio Conundrum

Thread Starter #1
Last year around the time I joined this forum I had made up my mind of buying the Brio. But job change and other things happened and I postponed my decision. In between I also thought about getting the Jazz VMT instead.

These days after everything is sorted I am back on the road and I am looking to buy a hatchback. My query, however, is not so much about which car to choose, rather whether would it be the right choice.

I drive a 2010 model i10 Sportz and a 2013 model Alto 800 (A800). The i10 is being sold to a relative. The A800 I will use for now and exchange with the new hatchback.

Some of the factors that influence my buying decision are:
1) Size: There's space to park only a small hatchback at my house. Although I'd have bought Jazz (petrol) outright by stretching my budget, there would have been no space to park it. This also rules out all compact sedans and longer cars. The parking space at my office in Connaught Place is also limited.

2) Only petrol engine, 1.2 preferred for mix of fuel economy and power. My daily running is about 50km.

3) Basic creature comfort of course. Boot space can be anything, no issue there. I'm not particular about climate control, start-stop button and DRLs. I prefer to live without them. I also prefer good ol' non-touch screen rugged ICE set-up. Only I'll be the one driving to work in heavy traffic, day in, day out.

4) Maximum budget: 6.5 lakh OTR, 7 lakh if the vehicle is deserving.

5) I plan to keep the car for at least five years.

6) ABS-EBD mandatory. Airbags not so (somewhere on this forum I had mentioned about a bad experience I had with airbags in an office car long ago).

The petrol hatchbacks I have looked at so far are:
1) Polo
2) Figo
3) Swift
4) Bolt
5) Punto
6) Brio

All these cars have their individual strengths. But I will list my opinion on why I didn't choose them over the Brio. It doesn't, however, mean the cars are not good; it's only that I am not interested. So owners of these cars would do good not to slot their gear into a defensive mode :-)

1) Polo: Cost, maintenance, after sales service IMHO
2) Figo: Underpowered petrol IMHO
3) Swift: Bored with it IMHO
4) Bolt: Unable to get over the egg shape, don't know how its turbo petrol would be in the long-term IMHO
5) Punto: Underpowered petrol IMHO

But...

6) Brio (as per my needs): Can fit in parking space available to me, good petrol engine, airy cabin for self-driving with one passenger, can do highway runs acceptably, fuel economy not very bad, ease of driving in heavy traffic, long-term reliability IMHO.

I decided to go with the Brio after having done several test drives. From ownership reviews posted here the long-term experience of owning a Brio seems positive. The engine refinement also impressed me. Two guys at my office also got the Brio recently; one of them writes on the auto industry, so I assumed he must be knowing his stuff.

So here are my questions, finally:
1) considering Honda might launch a new generation Brio by early or mid 2017--if the few reports available online are to be believed--would it be a right move on my part to buy the current Brio since the new generation launch doesn't appear that very far away?

2) Has anyone had any ownership experience to talk of about having bought any car, only to see a new generation launch 6-10 months down the line? Would availability of spares be an issue after, say, three years?

3) I'd like to get the advice of members on whether to go for the Brio this year or wait it out with the highest degree of patience?

I have asked around. People give me the Nike slogan, "just do it". Or stuffs such as "if you love a car, buy it." :-)

But I need to hear what seasoned car folks here would recommend. It might give me the mental peace to swing my decision and get it immediately. On a side note, there's a Honda dealership on my way to work (Samara, Lajpat Nagar) and I see this sparkling new Brio looking out toward the main road, mocking me every time I pass by. At night the dealership is lit as if it was Diwali and the sight is even more torturous. Either I get that thing or wait till next year. Help!

Cheers.
A very confused car shopper.

Last edited:
Last year around the time I joined this forum I had made up my mind of buying the Brio. But job change and other things happened and I postponed my decision. In between I also thought about getting the Jazz VMT instead.

These days after everything is sorted I am back on the road and I am looking to buy a hatchback. My query, however, is not so much about which car to choose, rather whether would it be the right choice.

I drive a 2010 model i10 Sportz and a 2013 model Alto 800 (A800). The i10 is being sold to a relative. The A800 I will use for now and exchange with the new hatchback.

Some of the factors that influence my buying decision are:
1) Size: There's space to park only a small hatchback at my house. Although I'd have bought Jazz (petrol) outright by stretching my budget, there would have been no space to park it. This also rules out all compact sedans and longer cars. The parking space at my office in Connaught Place is also limited.

2) Only petrol engine, 1.2 preferred for mix of fuel economy and power. My daily running is about 50km.

3) Basic creature comfort of course. Boot space can be anything, no issue there. I'm not particular about climate control, start-stop button and DRLs. I prefer to live without them. I also prefer good ol' non-touch screen rugged ICE set-up. Only I'll be the one driving to work in heavy traffic, day in, day out.

4) Maximum budget: 6.5 lakh OTR, 7 lakh if the vehicle is deserving.

5) I plan to keep the car for at least five years.

6) ABS-EBD mandatory. Airbags not so (somewhere on this forum I had mentioned about a bad experience I had with airbags in an office car long ago).

The petrol hatchbacks I have looked at so far are:
1) Polo
2) Figo
3) Swift
4) Bolt
5) Punto
6) Brio

All these cars have their individual strengths. But I will list my opinion on why I didn't choose them over the Brio. It doesn't, however, mean the cars are not good; it's only that I am not interested. So owners of these cars would do good not to slot their gear into a defensive mode :-)

1) Polo: Cost, maintenance, after sales service IMHO
2) Figo: Underpowered petrol IMHO
3) Swift: Bored with it IMHO
4) Bolt: Unable to get over the egg shape, don't know how its turbo petrol would be in the long-term IMHO
5) Punto: Underpowered petrol IMHO

But...

6) Brio (as per my needs): Can fit in parking space available to me, good petrol engine, airy cabin for self-driving with one passenger, can do highway runs acceptably, fuel economy not very bad, ease of driving in heavy traffic, long-term reliability IMHO.

I decided to go with the Brio after having done several test drives. From ownership reviews posted here the long-term experience of owning a Brio seems positive. The engine refinement also impressed me. Two guys at my office also got the Brio recently; one of them writes on the auto industry, so I assumed he must be knowing his stuff.

So here are my questions, finally:
1) considering Honda might launch a new generation Brio by early or mid 2017--if the few reports available online are to be believed--would it be a right move on my part to buy the current Brio since the new generation launch doesn't appear that very far away?

2) Has anyone had any ownership experience to talk of about having bought any car, only to see a new generation launch 6-10 months down the line? Would availability of spares be an issue after, say, three years?

3) I'd like to get the advice of members on whether to go for the Brio this year or wait it out with the highest degree of patience?

I have asked around. People give me the Nike slogan, "just do it". Or stuffs such as "if you love a car, buy it." :-)

But I need to hear what seasoned car folks here would recommend. It might give me the mental peace to swing my decision and get it immediately. On a side note, there's a Honda dealership on my way to work (Samara, Lajpat Nagar) and I see this sparkling new Brio looking out toward the main road, mocking me every time I pass by. At night the dealership is lit as if it was Diwali and the sight is even more torturous. Either I get that thing or wait till next year. Help!

Cheers.
A very confused car shopper.
If its a petrol go for swift its the best fun to drive and if its diesel you can stretch you budget then it has to be Polo 1.5TDI but as your driving would be only 50 KMS i think petrol makes sense

Yes swift is common but its the Jack of all and the most wonderful thing is its fun to drive if you feel you want a fresh air you can go for Baleno but some what feel its a bit lighter than swift and driving dynamics is not as sleek as the swift

If in petrol you have second thoughts its has to be I10 Grand which suits the bill best right next to swift, chevorlet beat can come in third but its has less resale value comparatively and dealership in your area should also be considered

If i was you i would have gone for in this order

Petrol :

1) Swift petrol
2) Grand I 10
3) Chevorlet beat

Diesel :

1) Polo GT/ 1.5 TDI
2) I20 Active
3) Swift ZDI

Now Since its a petrol mill. First choice obviously will be a TSi. If there are budget constraints on that, then look no further than Jazz. If your parking slot doesn't allow you to own a jazz, then look no further than a brio.(BTW If your parking slot doesn't allow you to own a jazz, Change your house[;)] )

Thread Starter #4
If its a petrol go for swift its the best fun to drive and if its diesel you can stretch you budget then it has to be Polo 1.5TDI but as your driving would be only 50 KMS i think petrol makes sense
Your suggestion makes sense, but my brother drives a Swift diesel and it's also at my beck and call, that's why I mentioned I'd like something different. i10 Grand would have been a good choice but I already had an i10, though the older model, still an i10.

Now Since its a petrol mill. First choice obviously will be a TSi. If there are budget constraints on that, then look no further than Jazz. If your parking slot doesn't allow you to own a jazz, then look no further than a brio.(BTW If your parking slot doesn't allow you to own a jazz, Change your house[;)] )
I wish some ghost came to haunt at my house to the extent that I would be forced to move out to a place with space to park the Jazz [:)] Talk about living to drive. Jazz was very much on the radar though.

But what about the question of getting the Brio now at the fag end of the current model's life? That was the question to which I'd have liked to hear from people here.

To add to your list will be Zica (ofcource after the naam karan ceremony)[clap] I heard some dealers on the sly have started giving TD, so do check this out.

At your budget,why don't you think about Baleno? That would be a nice choice.Brio may come up with a facelift any time in the near future.

Brio is a very good option for singles. But with All new model expected next year, I wouldn't buy one now.

Baleno is good, Bu waiting period is outrageous. I am looking to replace our 2011 WagonR and Baleno was on top of my mind, but due to high waiting period I have lost a bit of interest in it.

Zica & Upcoming Ignis are good options.

I recently bought a Brio VMT and loving it. My previous car was Swift and was not too satisfied with it. I feel less tired in traffic when driving Brio compared to Swift.

Brio and Jazz have same petrol engine when Jazz is heavier, hence I preferred the Brio. I got VMT in Gurgaon for 5.36 including discounts/registration. This was in December when there was some offers going on. I think VMT is perfect variant for Brio.

Reason I bought Brio is because we have larger car already (Ertiga D) and Brio is meant for daily office or shopping commutes. Since then I am driving Brio more compared to Ertiga. The only issue I feel is that 2nd gear lacks torque, which means you may have to either rev 2nd gear higher or shift to 3rd sooner. Overall satisfied.

Pic http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/13163-my-all-new-honda-brio-vx-mt-25.html#post487855

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
To add to your list will be Zica (ofcource after the naam karan ceremony)[clap] I heard some dealers on the sly have started giving TD, so do check this out.
I am also considering that. Will definitely take a took at the Zica. Only nagging thought is the three cylinder thing. But I can live with that.

At your budget,why don't you think about Baleno? That would be a nice choice.Brio may come up with a facelift any time in the near future.
The issue with Baleno or Jazz is parking space. We have one slot per car per apartment in my colony. The space allotted to me by the RWA is squeezed on both sides by a Polo and an XUV 500 and the length of parking space is good enough only for the Brio or a Brio-ish car. I am hoping the Polo guy moves out :-) He's young, from another city, and living on rent. The other day he told me he might move out mid-year but not sure. Then I will have his space.

Brio is a very good option for singles. But with All new model expected next year, I wouldn't buy one now.

Baleno is good, Bu waiting period is outrageous. I am looking to replace our 2011 WagonR and Baleno was on top of my mind, but due to high waiting period I have lost a bit of interest in it.

Zica & Upcoming Ignis are good options.
I will give Zica a shot. If Zica fails to excite me I will have to delay my first ownership review here till early 2017 [:)] Brio has done something to me and I can't get it out of my system.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only advantage of Jazz(P) over brio(P) is more space and comfort. Apart from that, there is no major change. Brio is a good car. And with the launch dates of new brio not sure, you can settle with the current gen brio. You yourself have clearly listed out the details.

So simply go for brio, buy extended warranty + Any time warranty. Peace for 7 years.. Enjoy your car..

The new Brio will be a facelift with minor changes like bumper, etc.

Based on the info I collected on Thai forums they are likely to replace the dashboard also, but I am not sure if all that is going to come to India. (it will be the same brv dashboard)

Nevertheless, it will essentially still be same car. (unlike the new jazz which is totally different from previous generation)

For Brio I have one thing to say: Take care of the car and it will take care of you.

Since zica is a newer car it will have more features, just like the i10 grand, but I am not sure if they can match the fun factor of Honda engine!

Last edited:
The new Brio will be a facelift with minor changes like bumper, etc.

Based on the info I collected on Thai forums they are likely to replace the dashboard also, but I am not sure if all that is going to come to India. (it will be the same brv dashboard)

Nevertheless, it will essentially still be same car. (unlike the new jazz which is totally different from previous generation)

For Brio I have one thing to say: Take care of the car and it will take care of you.

Since zica is a newer car it will have more features, just like the i10 grand, but I am not sure if they can match the fun factor of Honda engine!
I second the words of aerohit (the words in bold).Agreed completely. Have been experiencing the "care" for a good 3 years almost now

I am surprised you have not looked at the Micra. An excellent car in terms of space, performance and reliability. I have Micra CVT for over 2 years now and love the convenience, economy and reliability. Even the wiper blades perform like new, and this is after nearly 23000km by the way.
Do not overlook this option.

Thread Starter #15
I am surprised you have not looked at the Micra
I am sure Micra is a great car in its own way. My neighbour has a reddish-maroon Micra that I keep looking at in case I develop a liking. But for some reason that I can't easily explain--call it inherent bias that we have on cars--I am not keeping Micra on my list. Cheers to your car though [:)]

Top Bottom