Need a Spacious and Economical Big (Used) Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Hi guys,
I want to buy a car which has lots of space. Currently i have an Alto Lxi. CNG tank has blocked all space in it. I travel daily to office in it and also to Native place (Kolhapur or Shirdi). There is no space to keep luggage, and while coming have to bring bags of rice, grains, stuff from farm to Mumbai. Its impossible if 4 people sit in. With 2 people, every thing can be dumped on back seat.
So i am looking for a car, which will hold the CNG tank and still have space to dump grain bags, grocery and seat people comfortably. I am interested in Etios as it has huge boot space, but people say its not a good car. Corolla has a bit less boot space, but nice car. Swift Desire is too small.
I want a car which has goof fuel efficiency, pre-fitted CNG is a plus point. Please suggest give your suggestions. 5 years to 10 old is fine. Also it should be economical to repair.

Re: Need a spacious and economical big car - used.

Go for Etios only of the three cars you have mentioned. Why so?
1) Etios has a huge cabin and a huge boot - it will help.
2) The 1.5l MPi engine in Etios is already well proven especially on the CNG. You can find many cabbies who have their Etios done over 1-1.5 lac kms on CNG itself and they still swear by it.
3) GC, ride and handling balance of the Etios is really good and it won't disappoint you.

Yes, if you can live with an interior which looks a bit too basic. BUT the 1.5l engine is super peppy and performance loaded I must say.

why not a used Sumo Grande, you get this vehicle at a price you get used Etios, Maintenance wise its as good as any sedan and the spares are economical as its TATA, Lots and Lots of space as well as a proved work horse. Its Good looking as well as comfortable as well as economically available in the used car market.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
Sumo Grande: nop, i overtake them in alto, not the best shape for speed. They will overtake alto only on a straight road, when alto is already to slow, but eventually alto will go ahead due to low wind resistance, or while climbing a very straight hill, while turning, its a huge issue. And those are not CNG. So completely out of the "Economical Zone" Maintenance will of course be very high. I don't like big bulky vehicles which can topple while turning. That's why its so cheap in market. Etios i checked today, even the oldest costs 3.5+. There is a huge demand for old Etios. Since i have a good car, i can wait till Etios market loosens up a bit. I am not selling the alto, i love it its 12 year old and pickup on petrol is awesome. On CNG it gives 32 km/Kg on highway. That's 1.3 Rs per Km.

Try used 2007-08 Honda City GXi
Boot space is low. And Honda's usually have problem with CNG. They are not like Suzuki, they are a bit fragile, and maintenance costs are too high. I think Corolla, which is a bigger and better car has less issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Abhijit, what's the budget?

Go for Skoda or Fiat cars, as they have got low resale value, you can get a car in good shape in lesser money. Also these brand's built quality is good so if well maintained they don't start showing their age.

Thread Starter #8
Budget is 3 max, i dont want to invest much in car. I want it in 2L actually [;)]. Old car is not an issue, now i know lot about internals of a car. My alto is 12 year old and is running fine. Its just is not made for carrying loads of stuff, its a city car.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #11
I see a lots of good looking Cololla H1 and H2 around +or- 2L, with CNG.
Are those any good ?
Are their parts expensive ?
EECO - I would rather stay car-less [:)]

Sumo Grande: nop, i overtake them in alto
AFAIK space and comfort is more important than the so called overtaking ability.

Compared to Etios it is small, but once it was best in class. Better than your beloved Corolla

I think Corolla, which is a bigger and better car has less issues.
can you list down the issues of City & Corolla, so that we can understand which is better on what aspect?

I see a lots of good looking Cololla H1 and H2 around +or- 2L, with CNG.
Are those any good ?
Are their parts expensive ?
They are not like Suzuki, they are a bit fragile, and maintenance costs are too high.
When you felt City maintenance is on the higher side, just forget getting an Corolla. It's beyond affordability

I would rather stay car-less [:)]
Best choice I would suggest. All the best

Thread Starter #14
I am here for getting suggestions.
Not for hearing criticism, if i am wrong, correct me.
I have never driven a City or Corolla, but people say City parts are expensive than Corolla. I thought City is a premium car and Corolla is just a big car. I read stuff on internet somewhere. I only know abt Alto, a HMT tractor and Indigo eCS. That's all i have driven. Rest i have just made my mind reading stuff on internet. I dont even know what all cars are available in market.

Last edited:
Hello abhijit_net,

Given the parameters and your specific requests I'd rather suggest you buy a new Omni itself

You say Grande topples and high on maintenance, Omni's max-speed is 120 kmph and fyi 100kmph is the limit in highways Pan-India, so there's no chance to even drift = safety.

It's got the same engine and CNG kit same as your Alto, you wouldn't doubt about the maintenance and space doesn't need to be mentioned.

The main grouse is Omni doesn't carry an air-con unit where you have Alto in that case.

I don't see any other car ad midst your buying factors and budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom