Maruti Wagon-R LXi Purchase Decision: CNG or Non-CNG

Thread Starter #1
I'm thinking of purchasing a new Maruti Suzuki Wagon R, but I am not sure of whether to go for the CNG kit or not. I am very tempted by the CNG variant, but I heard that CNG use might ruin the engine over a period of time. I plan to use this car primarily for city use (I am in Chennai) but occasionally for long drives.

I heard that factory fitted CNG is pretty safe. What are your experiences with factory fitted CNG vehicles. Does it give good mileage and does it perform well?

I believe there is no CNG fitted VXi variant. However, want to confirm the same.

Last edited:
Re: Wagon R - LXi purchase decision - CNG or non-CNG

Hi, I have been using a 2012 model Wagon R LXI CNG for the last 4 years. For city use, it has been a no brainer. With a relaxed driving style expect more than 20km/kg consistently with AC on in stop and go city conditions. Although you would be visiting the fuel pump more often you wouldn't feel the pinch in running costs. All other attributes are common with the petrol variant.

Have no apprehensions about engine life. My car's engine is still as smooth as ever. The drop in power, although a little perceptible is practically insignificant. I've take the car on a few long drives and it has returned more than 27km/kg on Highway runs with a full load! The only disadvantage is no luggage space.

Last edited:

Nairrk

Honoured Member

The important thing is the availability of CNG. May be within City limit it is available but when you go for a long drive it should not be a problem when you need to refuel as CNG pumps may not be available easily as like a petrol/diesel pump.!!?

Would like to give some points about Wagon R LXi CNG ,I was using Wagon R LXi LPG till 2012.
1)If your usage is limited to 30 Km per day,do not go for CNG else definitely you can purchase.
2)The engine longevity is an issue.Petrol itself has some (minute) viscosity ,which will aid the engine lubrication,whereas in CNG/LPG this is not there.In the long term use,this will effect the engine performance. So if you want to keep the vehicle for more than 4 years,go for Petrol.
3)LXi misses out lots of things from VXI.Wagon R VXi is a complete vehicle ,would suggest you to go for that.
4)If you go out on long trips,you will have two issues.One the availability of CNG. Second,the space in the back is limited because of the tank . So,if you are a person with a family who intend to take the vehicle for long trips,CNG may not be a choice.

Thread Starter #5

Thanks, all. CNG+petrol variant of Wagon R is not available in Chennai only the Petrol model is available. Hence decision taken away from me.

Last edited:

Top Bottom