Confused Between Honda City and Suzuki Baleno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys, I am new this forum and hope you guys here can help me with buying a car.

I am very confused with Honda City and Baleno. I know I'm kind of stupid comparing Sedan and hatchback but that's only 2 cars I kind of like in india.

I like both the cars in different ways but able to decide on one.

I'm looking for high end models petrol. Money is not a constraint.

From my View:
Baleno Alpha:
1. Love Central console.
2. I'm getting Red color which is one of main things as me and my wife want to have Red car
3. Options such as projector head lamps, Dimming mirror, telescope steering
4. New Car on road, rare on road.

Honda City:
1. Premium Sedan.
2. And better built compared to Baleno.
3. Status symbol.
4. Central Console is not as cool as Baleno.
5. No projector head lamps, Dimming mirror, telescope steering.
6. Doesn't show which door is open, Baleno shows which door (city shows door is open, but doesn't tell which one) .
7. Lovely engine.
8. Smooth and drives like butter.
9. No good colors and front look is bad.

And I'm looking to sell off Car in 2 to 3 years.
And I don't care about back seats. It for me and my wife. In 5 years I can count how many times how many times someone was on back seat.

So considering these what do you guys suggest. Honda City or Baleno. And please do post reason as why you suggest one.

Thanks
Himamshu

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys, I am new this forum and hope you guys here can help me with buying a car.

I am very confused with Honda City and Baleno. I know I'm kind of stupid comparing Sedan and hatchback but that's only 2 cars I kind of like in india.

I like both the cars in different ways but able to decide on one.

I'm looking for high end models petrol. Money is not a constraint.

From my View:
Baleno Alpha:
1. Love Central console.
2. I'm getting Red color which is one of main things as me and my wife want to have Red car
3. Options such as projector head lamps, Dimming mirror, telescope steering
4. New Car on road, rare on road.

Honda City:
1. Premium Sedan.
2. And better built compared to Baleno.
3. Status symbol.
4. Central Console is not as cool as Baleno.
5. No projector head lamps, Dimming mirror, telescope steering.
6. Doesn't show which door is open, Baleno shows which door (city shows door is open, but doesn't tell which one) .
7. Lovely engine.
8. Smooth and drives like butter.
9. No good colors and front look is bad.

And I'm looking to sell off Car in 2 to 3 years.
And I don't care about back seats. It for me and my wife. In 5 years I can count how many times how many times someone was on back seat.

So considering these what do you guys suggest. Honda City or Baleno. And please do post reason as why you suggest one.

Thanks
Himamshu
Hi Himanshu,

Waiting period for Baleno Alpha Petrol is around 8-9 months. Consider this aspect when making your decision .
Thanks.

Thread Starter #3
Hi Himanshu,

Waiting period for Baleno Alpha Petrol is around 8-9 months. Consider this aspect when making your decision .
Thanks.
Sorry forgot to add. I already have booking for Baleno and City. I had booked Baleno in Nov. The Sales rep promised to confirm the dates by next Saturday. And City I will get in one week if I confirm them.

So now I can get either City or Baleno in 15 to 20 days.

Sorry forgot to add. I already have booking for Baleno and City. I had booked Baleno in Nov. The Sales rep promised to confirm the dates by next Saturday. And City I will get in one week if I confirm them.

So now I can get either City or Baleno in 15 to 20 days.
Best way to decide. Do a back to back test drive of both cars. Then see which one makes you feel really good. Imo both are good in their respective segments and you can't go wrong with any. So, let your heart decide at the moment itself.

@Himanshu
Since money is not a constraint then I would suggest you to do one thing:
Buy a Creta! Why so? It will fulfill all your requirements and even more, in fact Creta has everything that Baleno has as well as City has, you name it and Creta has it.
1) Red colour
2) Loaded with features
3) Projectors
4) Good looking interior with awesome quality
5) Smooth and very powerful petrol engine
6) will show you which door is open [lol]

Think about it before putting your money on the table. Baleno stands nowhere in front of Creta when interior quality, fit and finish are considered and so it City which is lagging behind. And build quality of Baleno is better less talked of, in fact even City too isn't as well engineered car now as it used to be 5 years back.

Baleno is rare on road for hardly 5-6 months, after that you will find one Baleno every kilometer like we find Swift these days.

Last edited:
Both are Good cars.

If this is your first car, go for Baleno. If not, and/or if you are comfortable with bigger dimensions, select the City.

6 years back, a close friend bought a City (after owning a Maruti for long); within an year, HE felt the size a bit long for regular city (pun intended) runs and got a Maruti as a 2nd car. Now the City is used primarily for highways.

But ,when I switched from Matiz to Verna, I never found any problem with the bigger dimensions.

Good Luck

bhvm

Honoured Member
OP,
As a sidestep- If you are looking for High end Petrols for performance- Money No bar catagory,
Please give a good thought to Fiat Abarth Punto and VW GT TSI polo. These things will leave both of above options far in dust.

Also, You may take a good look at Duster 1.5 which might be getting good discounts these days. The features are basic but you get a bigger boot, better ride and ground clearance for bad roads. Plus, Dimensions are not much larger than H.City.

The right car would be creta as TSIVipul said. It has all the features you ask. The build quality is also commendable. And as you plan to sell it within 3 years, surely it will fetch you a good resale value too

Hi Guys, I am new this forum and hope you guys here can help me with buying a car.---
Suggest you await the Launches at Auto Expo 2016, there would n]be many exciting cars at the price point you are looking for.

Test Derive your shortlisted ones and decide.

I would also suggest take a longish TD of each vehicle & note down the essential features you would like in your car. take TD of other cars too that are in your budget so you can bench-mark the attributes of each car with other

Hi Himamshu,
You have shortlisted fantastic cars. They're both parked in my driveway. However, your variants are incorrect. If you want to enjoy the next few years with a car, here are a few points:
Choose the automatic variant. You can't switch the Baleno, unless a previous customer on the waiting list cancels his. Hence, choose the Honda cvt with its paddle shifts. By doing this, you will miss: the Baleno's style. Larger dimensions (its 2 inches wider than the city). The resale value. Quick after sales service. Ownership costs. The newness and longevity of the Baleno model on our roads. Easier parking (lengthwise, at least). Sports mode! ;)
The Honda City has paddle shifts, as mentioned, and around 120 bhp. And chocolate brown colour, well, I think it looks good.
Hope this helps

@Himanshu
Since money is not a constraint then I would suggest you to do one thing:
Buy a Creta! Why so? It will fulfill all your requirements and even more, in fact Creta has everything that Baleno has as well as City has, you name it and Creta has it.
1) Red colour
2) Loaded with features
3) Projectors
4) Good looking interior with awesome quality
5) Smooth and very powerful petrol engine
6) will show you which door is open [lol]

Think about it before putting your money on the table. Baleno stands nowhere in front of Creta when interior quality, fit and finish are considered and so it City which is lagging behind. And build quality of Baleno is better less talked of, in fact even City too isn't as well engineered car now as it used to be 5 years back.

Baleno is rare on road for hardly 5-6 months, after that you will find one Baleno every kilometer like we find Swift these days.
Seriously? Why would I eat Briyani for breakfast!! I feel Creta is over done for his requirement and these make shift Crossover's comes nowhere in terms of sedan's driveability and handling.

@Himanshu
I'd suggest City, but since you will sell it anyway in couple of years, and no back seat comfort is needed, why not consider other options! A much better option for you will be Verna petrol. Reason? You get better looking exterior/interior, punchy engine(esp 1.6L VTVT is equally good as VTEC IMO!). And top end comes with all safety equipment and all the bells and whistles you need!

Honda City is a step better,but they don't command the beauty of the earlier versions.
However,if it is a self drive car you are looking for,you can go for a Baleno,considering you are selling it after 3 years,you will get a good resale value too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom