I’m in the market for an automatic hatchback costing under ₹8,00,000 (on-road) and had set my mind on the Ford Figo 1.5P Titanium AT. The pros that come to mind are:
- Best transmission among Indian hatchbacks that I can afford.
- Good driving dynamics and passenger comfort (which is a significant desire, coming from a 2012 Hyundai Fluidic Verna, which is terrible on both counts).
- Great safety features (primary among them being ESP), but the old Figo’s having failed the global NCAP tests gives me pause.
- Great design and acceptable build quality.
- Practical features like the smartphone dock, parking finder, electronic ORVMs, etc.
There were some cons, primarily in terms of missing equipment, but I figured I could address them with a few well chosen aftermarket accessories. However, I just spoke to my friend who’s owned the previous generation Figo for several years now and he had nothing but scorn for Ford. The service quality is pathetic, he says, and it is expensive and slow. Part availability, even for the run-of-the-mill stuff, is a constant issue. He strongly advised against Ford.
Given that I am already facing these same issues with my Hyundai—which has a much better reputation in this department—I shudder to think what my experience with Ford will be like. The car’s safety credentials are also suspect, because I don’t know of any crash testing it has undergone anywhere in the world. And yet, I cannot find any other car that matches up to it within my budget.
The strongest contender is the Maruti Suzuki Baleno but, as with all Maruti cars, I find its design to be boxy and uninspired (better though it is compared to all the other cars it makes), and I strongly doubt its ability to keep me safe in case of an accident
. I have not given it a test drive (because the Nexa showroom in Siliguri is currently under construction) but I doubt that the car’s drivability will be able to match up to the Ford’s either. I can still consider it though.
So what would you guys suggest? Please help me out by answering the poll and, better yet, posting a comment below. Thank you.