Which Automatic Hatchback is Ideal For City Driving?

Which automatic hatchback would you recommend?

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1
Hello.

I’m in the market for an automatic hatchback costing under ₹8,00,000 (on-road) and had set my mind on the Ford Figo 1.5P Titanium AT. The pros that come to mind are:
  • Best transmission among Indian hatchbacks that I can afford.
  • Good driving dynamics and passenger comfort (which is a significant desire, coming from a 2012 Hyundai Fluidic Verna, which is terrible on both counts).
  • Great safety features (primary among them being ESP), but the old Figo’s having failed the global NCAP tests gives me pause.
  • Great design and acceptable build quality.
  • Practical features like the smartphone dock, parking finder, electronic ORVMs, etc.
There were some cons, primarily in terms of missing equipment, but I figured I could address them with a few well chosen aftermarket accessories. However, I just spoke to my friend who’s owned the previous generation Figo for several years now and he had nothing but scorn for Ford. The service quality is pathetic, he says, and it is expensive and slow. Part availability, even for the run-of-the-mill stuff, is a constant issue. He strongly advised against Ford.

Given that I am already facing these same issues with my Hyundai—which has a much better reputation in this department—I shudder to think what my experience with Ford will be like. The car’s safety credentials are also suspect, because I don’t know of any crash testing it has undergone anywhere in the world. And yet, I cannot find any other car that matches up to it within my budget.

The strongest contender is the Maruti Suzuki Baleno but, as with all Maruti cars, I find its design to be boxy and uninspired (better though it is compared to all the other cars it makes), and I strongly doubt its ability to keep me safe in case of an accident. I have not given it a test drive (because the Nexa showroom in Siliguri is currently under construction) but I doubt that the car’s drivability will be able to match up to the Ford’s either. I can still consider it though.

So what would you guys suggest? Please help me out by answering the poll and, better yet, posting a comment below. Thank you.

Last edited:
Figo 1.5 AT is a good car for city use. It has a good engine and drivability. What I heard is ford's service is getting better. If you are concerned over the reliability and service, I would suggest you to have Jazz AT in mind. It is also good for city use(but figo will be better as it has a bigger engine).

Thread Starter #3
The Jazz is simultaneously more expensive and less powerful, with a poorer transmission technology. I don’t understand Honda’s pricing strategy. Thanks for the comment.

-------------------------------

One other reason I am against going for the Baleno is that it only offers an automatic transmission in the lower mid-level Delta trim, which misses out on a whole host of useful features that would’ve given it an edge over the Figo (the ones in common with the Figo have been italicised):
  1. Chrome Door Handles
  2. Alloy Wheels
  3. Daytime Running Lamps with LED
  4. Projector Headlamps
  5. UV Cut Glass
  6. Glove Box Illumination
  7. Luggage Room Illumination
  8. Front Footwell Illumination
  9. Multi Information Speedometer Display
  10. Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
  11. Front Fog Lamps
  12. Auto Headlamps
  13. Auto Dimming IRVM
  14. Reverse Parking Camera
  15. SmartPlay Infotainment System
  16. Navigation System
  17. Voice Command
  18. Smartphone Connect / Apple CarPlay
  19. Telescopic Steering
  20. Follow Me Home / Lead to Vehicle
  21. Front Centre Armrest with Storage
  22. Height Adjustable Driver Seat
  23. Push Start/Stop with Smart Key
But I do understand that putting those features in would have driven the AT variant out of my budget and most of them aren’t offered in the Figo anyway.

Oh well…

Last edited:
The Jazz is simultaneously more expensive and less powerful, with a poorer transmission technology. I don’t understand Honda’s pricing strategy. Thanks for the vote.

-------------------------------

One other reason I am against going for the Baleno is that it only offers an automatic transmission in the lower mid-level Delta trim, which misses out on a whole host of useful features that would’ve given it an edge over the Figo:
  1. Chrome Door Handles
  2. Allow Wheels
  3. Daytime Running Lamps with LED
  4. Projector Headlamps
  5. UV Cut Glass
  6. Glove Box Illumination
  7. Luggage Room Illumination
  8. Front Footwell Illumination
  9. Multi Information Speedometer Display
  10. Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
  11. Front Fog Lamps
  12. Auto Headlamps
  13. Auto Dimming IRVM
  14. Reverse Parking Camera
  15. SmartPlay Infotainment System
  16. Navigation System
  17. Voice Command
  18. Smartphone Connect / Apple CarPlay
  19. Telescopic Steering
  20. Follow Me Home / Lead to Vehicle
  21. Front Centre Armrest with Storage
  22. Height Adjustable Driver Seat
  23. Push Start/Stop with Smart Key
But I do understand that putting those features in would have driven the AT variant out of my budget and most of them aren’t offered in the Figo anyway.

Oh well…
If you are saying that Jazz's transmission is poor, then Baleno uses the same CVT transmission. CVT is not a poor transmission. Current gen CVT's are good and the rubber band effect is well reduced. In city drives, CVT does its job very well. If you are saying CVT is a poor one, then you have only one option. Dual-clutch gearboxes. AMT also is ruled out too. So choose between figo or polo for good gearboxes.

If you look for features, I would suggest you elite i20 automatic. But it is a 4 speed automatic. So you may not have the dual clutch box like performance.

No, the Elite i20 doesn't have Automatic Transmission.

Baleno and Jazz use CVT gearboxes while Figo and Polo use Dual Clutch Gearboxes. Out of the 2, of pure performance is concern, then Dual Clutch ones are better. While if Reliability and Efficiency is required, CVT are the best ones.

I suggest you to go for Polo GT TSI, It's Gem and you won't regret for your Purchase.
You need to stretch your Budget to nearly 10 Lakhs to get it.
Only problem in Polo is Rear Legroom and High Transmission line which makes convenient for 4 persons. For Pure Driver car you can consider this one.

Top Bottom