Car For My Parents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Hi TAIgers,

I am looking for a purchasing a car for my parents. I may go for it during the month of March.

Currently we have a second hand dzire (Petrol) with 1.4 L KM on odo. The car is not creating lots and lots of problem so now we are thinking of going for new car for my dad.

The requirements are just that it should be spacious comfortable car which can go for about lakh of KMs.
fuel Type should be petrol and compliant with future emission regulations.
5 seater with decent boot space
Easy ingress

We have owned cars from Tata and Maruti stable. from M800, WagonR, Indigo, Storme etc.

The car should be VFM and should not be too expensive.

The cars that first come to my mind are
Zest RT XMS
BOLT RT XT
XCENT
FIGO

Strictly no Wagon R or Ritz.
No SWIFT OR DZIRE as they are pretty expensive for what they offer.
i20, and baleno too seem to be costly for our budget.
No idea about Polo and Punto and Etios.
I am not looking for used car.

May look at Zica and KUV100 but the KUV interiors have put me off. I detest the center console with piston handbrake. Its not egronomically placed.
However final decision will be taken by Dad so will ask him to TD all the cars mentioned in the above post.

You comments and suggestions are welcome.

Since I am looking for petrol cars and Tata cars are being shorlisted. I need to know how Revotron behaves on Zest and Bolt. I know the Qjet is great engine and it is tried and test so I will simply go ahead if Diesel is option he chooses. I believe the Revotron is great engine for sedate driving but still would like your comments on the same.

Last edited:
My suggestion would be a petrol automatic. I would suggest Jazz which will be well suited for 5 people with good boot space. If you are looking for a diesel automatic, you can look for tata zest XMA. Your parents can have a effortless drive along with good comfort and space in both the cars.

Thread Starter #3
My suggestion would be a petrol automatic. I would suggest Jazz which will be well suited for 5 people with good boot space. If you are looking for a diesel automatic, you can look for tata zest XMA. Your parents can have a effortless drive along with good comfort and space in both the cars.
what would be otr price for jazz auto?

Why don't you try Celerio AMT? High seating position, good FE, decent ride quality, awesome ingress and aggress and yes, you can have a fully loaded version for 6 lac.

Thread Starter #5
Why don't you try Celerio AMT? High seating position, good FE, decent ride quality, awesome ingress and aggress and yes, you can have a fully loaded version for 6 lac.
That sounds good however I am also equally concerned around the space. I am very big so is my father. we have dzire and in that car when we sit side by side, we brush each other and he has to put the seat at 120 degrees this given almost no space at the rear. We had indigo and had great space. So I guess Celerio may be a small car for our size. I will however ask him to check that as well.

what would be otr price for jazz auto?
The cost comes around 8.5 lakhs on road for Jazz S AT while Zest AT comes around 8.5 lakhs on road too. So, zest would be the better one as it is diesel and the running costs will be low when compared to that of petrol.

Thread Starter #7
currently i have got the quote for Zest RT XMS and XT which is 6.73 and 7.41 L OTR.
(Discounts around 50K)
AT is beyond our budget and will not opt for the same. Will look at Celerio since it is price lower but then ride quality may not be in the leagues of these bigger cars. so no AT for time being. This process may go on for a month atleast and dont know what all requirement changes may come in.

As of now will be getting quotation for xcent, Dzire, and Etios (my dad wants to check car as well)

Last edited:
Some inputs (not from expert point of view though)

- Celerio - is small; not a proper 3 seater in the back; boot not great
- Jazz - better shoulder space, but sees lack of pulling/torque; may not be a big issue for city (30 kmph driving)
- Xcent - good, but again I found the i20 backseat more comfy for 3 seater than Xcent; boot seems okey

Looks like the TATA hatches give both space and boot - dont have direct view on performance/after sales

After reading all you comments, I am little confuse that the comfort you are looking is for driver/co-driver or the back seat. This would make a lot of difference in choosing.

One more thing, will the car totally driven in CITY and very rare on HIGHWAY?

Please specify your budget too.

Thread Starter #10
After reading all you comments, I am little confuse that the comfort you are looking is for driver/co-driver or the back seat. This would make a lot of difference in choosing.

One more thing, will the car totally driven in CITY and very rare on HIGHWAY?

Please specify your budget too.
Well it will be only for 2 passengers for most of the times (driver and co driver) Will be around semi highways (Sion panvel highway) from Panvel to Vashi.
I dont want to stretch beyon 7L OTR. it will be very heavy on pocket looking for tenure of 2 years for loan.

You can try Honda Amaze just because it has good ingress/egress and spacious cabin and boot space. Although you might not like the interior design but that's not you're criteria na.
I have Brio and I can confidently say that although the interiors are plain, the plastics are of very good quality if not excellent because I haven't heard rattles since past 33 months of ownership.

Well it will be only for 2 passengers for most of the times (driver and co driver) Will be around semi highways (Sion panvel highway) from Panvel to Vashi.
I dont want to stretch beyon 7L OTR. it will be very heavy on pocket looking for tenure of 2 years for loan.
For 7 lakhs, you can go for etios, amaze, dzire, xcent petrols. Etios will be a good deal. It will be low on maintenance and it is spacious too..

Thread Starter #13
A quick update:

Have tried to contact the wasan toyota, Simran Suzuki and Fortune motors.

Only fortune motors replied back with the quotes.

So till now full marks to Tata.

A quick update:

Have tried to contact the wasan toyota, Simran Suzuki and Fortune motors.

Only fortune motors replied back with the quotes.

So till now full marks to Tata.
Tata zest is a very competent car. I would suggest you diesel version. The 1.3 engine is a work horse. I test drove the diesel variant and I am impressed with the way the car handled. I would even say that zest is the best in segment. The steering feel and the dynamics are also good. The car feels solid too. The car is not fairing well in the market because of tata's marketing strategy.

Tata Zest would be a good buy. You're looking for space, Zest has it. It's also got enough power to meet your parents needs. The features are also VFM. If your budget permits I'd also suggest Jazz SV trim (ABS and airbags but no alloys).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom