Tata Safari Storme EX Aspirants: Would You Consider VX For Varicor-400?

Thread Starter #1
Tata Motors recently launched Safari Storme Varicor-400 with Six speed Gear Box and some minor mechanical changes to engine.

But only on VX variant. This is huge disappointment for EX aspirants.

Would you now reconsider (read increase) your budget and get VX over EX i.e. Varicor-320?

bhvm

Honoured Member
If I am in the market for a powerful SUV, I will sure consider the Varicor 400 despite the higher price Tag. High performance Vehicles are a rarity in India and Storme 400 is just what doctor ordered.

P.s- Its just a matter of time before some ECU tuner like Pete or RD craks the code of newly tuned Varicor ECU. The same software when flashed on the LX will change it into Varicor 400! I do not see any mechanical changes otherwise.

Last edited:
Go for the Ex variant itself as it is more powerful, i own a 2014 Tata Aria Varicor 320 Nm and with the 5 speed gear box it is amazing and it still has a better low end torque to hover slowly in cities so 320 Nm varicor is also one capable machine. And you can relaxingly cruise over 120 Kph once it goes to the highway. 320 Nm varicor feels much more smoother (not TD the 400 Nm varicor though).

Go for the Ex variant or buy a Tata Aria top end as you can get as much discounts from the stock vehicles or for a new vehicle also. And in 2014 when i booked the Tata Aria pleasure i got some discounts of Rs. 1,50,000 for the mid variant. And i have never felt that the power is not enough for a relaxed drive.

If I am in the market for a powerful SUV, I will sure consider the Varicor 400 despite the higher price Tag. High performance Vehicles are a rarity in India and Storme 400 is just what doctor ordered.

P.s- Its just a matter of time before some ECU tuner like Pete or RD craks the code of newly tuned Varicor ECU. The same software when flashed on the LX will change it into Varicor 400! I do not see any mechanical changes otherwise.
However the 6 speed gearbox will be the one that would make me buy the VX. the car needs a 6th gear on highways else the engine beings to scream beyond 2.5K RPM. What can be achieved at 2.5K RPM on 5th I guess ccan be achieved at 2K on 6th So definitely a quieter cabin and better Fuel Efficiency.

bhvm

Honoured Member
I've always wanted a 6th hear on My SUVs.
Right from the 1.9L TCIC safari, The beastly 3.0L Dicor, Then refined 2.2 Varicor Mill.
All were a let down due to lack of higher gears.[frustration].

6th Gear was a major purchase decision that pulled me towards XUV 500. Now I can do highway speeds at merely 1800 Rpm![evil][clap]

Thread Starter #6
I do not see any mechanical changes otherwise.
Quote:
The cylinder block, cylinder head, injectors, pistons, main bearings and turbocharger have been reworked / upgraded / redesigned, to deliver the additional performance of the 2.2L VARICOR 400. This is in addition to the recent change to the timing belt system (for all VARICOR engines) which enhanced its service life to 150,000 km. Further, there are changes to the chassis to accommodate the new manual transmission. Apart from the associated changes to the engine, transmission and badge, there are no other differences.

P.s- Its just a matter of time before some ECU tuner like Pete or RD craks the code of newly tuned Varicor ECU. The same software when flashed on the LX will change it into Varicor 400!
Agreed. But do ECU have gear ratio (gear selection) input?

In that case how map made for six speed will match with five speed?

RPM on 5th I guess ccan be achieved at 2K on 6th So definitely a quieter cabin and better Fuel Efficiency.
@Varicor 400
Sixth gear, 100Km/Hr @ 2000rpm

@Varicor 320
Fifth gear, 100Km/Hr @ 2100rpm

So there is really only difference of 100.

So Varicor 320 should be as quite as Varicor 400 @ 100Km/Hr

I am a 2.2 owner the 2.2 vibrates when one try to lug the engine in 2nd, 3rd gear. the strome really overcame this problem . the strome was a torque monster. I rode the varicor 400 for few kms.

the engine is slightly refined compared to stome and a level high than 2.2. apart from the 6 BHP higher power when compared to strome it's 80nm torque makes the difference.

still there is lag below 2000 rpm, once the turbo starts varicor400 pulls fast where i would the strome pulled effortlessely. in 4*2 model, when i kept the needle at 2500 and let off the clutch, the rear wheels spinned and you are pushed back in your seat. I failed to notice the rpm/ speed ratio, the vechile was really quick the progress beyond 110 when compared to strome and dicor. also the 80nm helps you to climb slopes like a piece of cake. in terms of outright performance, the varicor 400 is a king. also I felt the brakes were strong compared to strome, the technician said that tata has worked on the ecu too. this comes at just a preminum of 18000 odd over the strome. one thing i was disappointed was lack of climate control and why not tata make this same engine a option in lower variants.

Thread Starter #8
I am a 2.2 owner the 2.2 vibrates when one try to lug the engine in 2nd, 3rd gear. the strome really overcame this problem . the strome was a torque monster. I rode the varicor 400 for few kms.

the engine is slightly refined compared to stome and a level high than 2.2. apart from the 6 BHP higher power when compared to strome it's 80nm torque makes the difference.

still there is lag below 2000 rpm, once the turbo starts varicor400 pulls fast where i would the strome pulled effortlessely. in 4*2 model, when i kept the needle at 2500 and let off the clutch, the rear wheels spinned and you are pushed back in your seat. I failed to notice the rpm/ speed ratio, the vechile was really quick the progress beyond 110 when compared to strome and dicor. also the 80nm helps you to climb slopes like a piece of cake. in terms of outright performance, the varicor 400 is a king. also I felt the brakes were strong compared to strome, the technician said that tata has worked on the ecu too. this comes at just a preminum of 18000 odd over the strome. one thing i was disappointed was lack of climate control and why not tata make this same engine a option in lower variants.
Thanks Pravin for the quick review of Varicor-400.

Right now Im in Bahrain. So can not take test drive. Before I took test drive of brand new Varico-320 at Pandit auto Pune. It was breeze driving this vehicle in congested traffic of Pune. Varicor-400 must be one step above.

One query: Although cabin is very silent. was there hum or low frequency sound when you lug the vehicle in Varicor-400?

Thanks Pravin for the quick review of Varicor-400.

Right now Im in Bahrain. So can not take test drive. Before I took test drive of brand new Varico-320 at Pandit auto Pune. It was breeze driving this vehicle in congested traffic of Pune. Varicor-400 must be one step above.

One query: Although cabin is very silent. was there hum or low frequency sound when you lug the vehicle in Varicor-400?
There was no sound. I lugged the engine in 3rd gear at 40kmph. there was no hum sound. when the throttle input is given, the surge ahead was clean. Not only the best safari, the fastest safari till date. Brakes need a special mention here and a superb

Thread Starter #10
There was no sound. I lugged the engine in 3rd gear at 40kmph. there was no hum sound. when the throttle input is given, the surge ahead was clean. Not only the best safari, the fastest safari till date. Brakes need a special mention here and a superb
Thank you so much for the quick reply.

After hearing what you said, I just can't wait to try my hands on new safari.

Im reaching Pune on 22 Jan for short vacation. I hope Concord Pune will have test drive vehicle.

I don't think so. What I heard is that the 2.2 capacity is the only thing it shares with the old engine. This is an old Land Rover Discovery or Freelander engine.

I don't think so. What I heard is that the 2.2 capacity is the only thing it shares with the old engine. This is an old Land Rover Discovery or Freelander engine.
No, it can't be an old land Rover engine. It got the same engine block of Dicor 2.2 and yes a goid idea if Tata can get the gear box and old engines from JLR but all/mostly were from Ford so cannot be done.

Thread Starter #15
Friends finally I took extensive test drive of Varicor-400, 4 x 4, 2K on odometer.

+ points

1. Extremely silent cabin. No vibrations at idle. No usual diesel cluttering Sound. Only muted growl when you raise the accelerator. Vehicle is silent from outside also. Good job TATA

2. No rattling/squeaking sound when I driven on extremely bad road.

3. A/C is very silent and effective at minimum blower position.

4. Light clutch.

5. Smooth pickup from stand still.

6. Good quality premium looking fit and finish.

1. Vibrations felt on steering wheel when vehicle was accelerating.

2. Steering wheel vibrates when vehicle going on bad patches.

3. Steering is not light at low speed. May be due to 4 x 4?

4. Slight body roll at high speed.

5. Quick progress from low to medium speed but relatively slow progress from medium to high speed.

If I keep aside safety aspect of duel air bags, I don't see any reason why I should upgrade to Varicor-400. So EX would be sufficient to me.

Top Bottom