Automatic Hatchback Under Rs.10 Lacs. Super Confused!!

Thread Starter #1
Dear members,
Since last 2 moths I am facing the biggest dilemma of my life. I own a Honda Brio S MT 2013 and she is serving me well. Now I need to buy a second hatchback for my wife. The new car will also be driven by me in weekends for having some fun. Since the car will be driven by my wife in Bhubaneswar traffic, so it has to be an automatic transmission. My budget is 10 lacs maximum. We have test driven the Volkswagen Polo GT TSI and we are simply bowled by the car's performance. Starting from the aolod German build, impeccable paint quality, the TSI gearbox and the turbo whistle everything mesmerised us. I am going to book the car by mid January. But some friends and colleagues are telling to take a look at 3 more alternatives e.g. Baeno CVT, Jazz CVT and Figo DCT automatic. Now I wont buy a Maruti for my perception of their poor build quality. For the remaining two cars I have observed the following pros and cons by watching numerous review videos on YouTube and reading almost all the website reviews.
I haven't test driven the jazz or figo automatics.
Honda Jazz CVT
Pros:
Spacious interiors
Paddle shifters
Honda brand and good resale value
Super silent ivtec.

Cons:
Already have a Brio with the same engine.
1.2 litre engine wont Abe as peppy as in brio due to higher weight of jazz.
Doors don't close with a thud.
Rubber band effect of CVT.

Ford Figo 1.5 litre DCT
pros:
Solid build.
100 bhp and around 130 Nm of torque looks mouth watering on paper at least.
Cheap maintenance as compared to VW.
DCT gearbox is second best in this segment after VW DSG.

Cons:
Puny 14 inch tyres.
Driving dynamics is not as good as first gen figo.
Interiors are not as good as GT TSI.
Not much fun to drive.

Prices:
Polo GT TSI : 9.8 lacs on road
Honda Jazz CVT V Variant: 8.9 lacs on road
Ford figo DCT Titanium: 8.15 lacs on road
My mind says Polo GT TSI. My brain is confused. Please suggest.

Second TSI Vipul views. Once you have tested GT, nothing else will please you. Ford Figo is VFM option as well. If budget is not an issue go for GT as overall GT is far better than Figo. Negotiate for good discount on GT.

If you can stretch a bit and bring Polo GT TSI within you're budget it's a Excellent choice in terms of Driving Dynamics.

If not, the Jazz CVT is the next best choice.

The Baleno CVT isn't that good according to most people who have test driven it.

Figo DCT is the most VFM package, but it too has its share of cons like Reliability of the gearbox, poor FE etc.

GT TSI all the way! If you are okay with the space and brand, then nothing would match the GT TSI in terms of driving joy!

But as you are upgrading from Honda, try out the Jazz also. If you want performance, go for Polo GT TDI as automatics won't give you the performance you are looking for. ATs are for convenience and that is what the mass market wants, so Jazz CVT or Baleno CVT won't be quick enough when comparing with Manual Brio. Figo is another good choice but doesn't stand a chance in front of better styled and better quality options like Polo and Jazz.

bhvm

Honoured Member
I'll also be quick to suggest you get the gt.
there's certain charm to driving Germans. the performance is a bomb as you've found out. and your budget is just perfect for a. premium hatch.

however, there's a big BUT.
are you sure your wife needs mind boggling performance and driving dynamics in the city? I'm sure she won't be doing any 0-100 when going from mall A to mall B. if the car is for your wife, just wife alone for pottering around city, the GT is futile.

let me bring you to ground that maintaimace of GT is 15-20k per visit. the fuel efficiency is not that great either. and with all the vw scandal, it gets a second thought.

then perhaps ill happily suggest you the ford.

Thread Starter #7
Sorry guys, I was a bit busy these days. So decided to book a red GT TSI on 14th January. Am I doing any serious mistake by not test driving the Figo automatic?

Thread Starter #9
Thanx bhvm for your suggestions. But the Ford showroom is actually far away from my place. I have to take a day's leave for that. They are saying that they are having an Aspire DCT for Test Drive. Should I take the,pain?

Sorry guys, I was a bit busy these days. So decided to book a red GT TSI on 14th January. Am I doing any serious mistake by not test driving the Figo automatic?
Sirji I have driven both and I can bet that what you are doing is absolute correct. You can go and check the Figo just for the sake of feeling and you never know, maybe Figo will match your preferences better.

When I TDed (I bought Polo TDi HL though), my preference list was:
1) Attention to detail, the interior needed to looks faultless when I am at driver seat. GT has dollops of that
2) Brilliant build quality and a much planted ride. GT has both of them better than Figo.
3) Height adjustable seat with reach and rake adjustable wheel. To help find perfect seating position for long drives. GT has them both
4) An engine powerful enough that makes it a pleasure to drive in city or highway. GT has it better (Even Polo too) but Figo isn't behind either.
5) Pedal placement is important and I was not comfortable with the pedal placement of Figo.

This was my take. Now go and look at both the cars and decide. With Figo you can save a few bucks and with GT you may have to spend more on service too but "you live just once, live with the one that makes you smile every moment you look at it".

Even better ways of deciding:
1) Go and check the car thoroughly. When leaving the showroom; just count the number of times you turned back to have a look at the car or the one you got an urge to look again. Buy the same car.
2) Toss a coin a bit high allotting one side to Figo and one to GT; once the coin is tossed, just see which side you want the coin to land. Buy the same car.

EDIT: Go and check Aspire DCT, Figo and aspire both are equivalent.

@Bhvm:
Saarji having a Mercedes back home which can do 250 kph doesn't mean I will always do the same. What's wrong in buying a hot hatch for the wife? Don't you favor gender equality? :stupid:
And which hubby on this earth doesn't drive his wifey's car ever?
BTW I guess I read somewhere that your wifey wanted your XUV, what about that plan? Or you are living with half cooked food and cold tea? :tongue:

Last edited:
Thread Starter #11
TSI Vipul, thanx for your input. Now I am determined that I am not going to test drive the Figo. Your inputs have made me so confident. Polo is the car which makes me to look back at her time and again. I just love her and I just want to hear that turbo whistle which GT TSI offers

TSI Vipul, thanx for your input. Now I am determined that I am not going to test drive the Figo. Your inputs have made me so confident. Polo is the car which makes me to look back at her time and again. I just love her and I just want to hear that turbo whistle which GT TSI offers
Even better ways of deciding:
1) Go and check the car thoroughly. When leaving the showroom; just count the number of times you turned back to have a look at the car or the one you got an urge to look again. Buy the same car.
2) Toss a coin a bit high allotting one side to Figo and one to GT; once the coin is tossed, just see which side you want the coin to land. Buy the same car.
I also own GT TSI and has never regretted my decision. Once you put your foot down you think you have made a great decision for not looking at any other car. When i enter home or leave home for office i always stare at my car and give it a quick smile. The car looks so elegant you just want to stare at it and compliment its beauty.

So i will also suggest that you go for GT TSI.

bhvm

Honoured Member
well.Mr. Vipul,
, she tried it once (actually I forced her) and she found the performance of cheetah a bit too much. the way xuv pounces when you release the clutch made her falter. now she doesn't demand it!

she's good with her sweet cute i10.

Top Bottom