Diesel Hatchback: Rs.6 - 7.5 Lakhs. Safe, Fun, Practical. Suggestions Please?

Thread Starter #1
I'll be honest, I started this thread just before booking the Ford Figo Titanium+. Just so I won't regret it.

My priorities:
  • Safety first
  • Hatch
  • Diesel: Our monthly running is high
  • Good engine, should be happy in the city and a performer on the highway
  • Moderate features, not too loaded, not barebones either
  • Nice interior quality
  • Shouldn't be wider than ~1675mm, my mother also will be driving
  • Boot space doesn't matter
  • Mileage should be reasonable. Not too high, not low but 1000 Rs. worth of fuel should last enough.

Other points: Should only be the top end variant, I don't want to feel like I'm missing something. No Maruti: Don't ask why

Cars considered:
  • Tata Bolt: Took a test drive, but the clutch felt funny. Also, the 1.3 MJD seems a bit old now
  • Nissan Micra/Renault Pulse: Nothing really special or unique, so rejected.
  • Honda Jazz: Too long, too expensive, visibility for 5'6' people = Almost none
  • Hyundai Elite i20: It's too wide. At least looks too wide.
  • Grand i10: Dad rejected it .
  • Fiat Punto: Walked into the showroom. Looked to our left. Paint falling off the walls. The receptionist was just sitting there. Took our name/number. Called someone from the workshop. He pulls the door handle. Locked. "Who the hell locks it?" unlocks it, proceeds to tell us about the car though he knows nobody will buy it. We didn't feel like wasting his time, it was pretty evident the dealership will close down pretty soon. Went away without a test drive. The poor guy handed us the last brochure in the showroom. Rejected, feeling sorry about Fiat India. Never got a call back. Not surprised.

Is there any other car worth buying in my budget?

Cars not considered:
Swift: To common, and the 1.3 MJD.
Brio: Dad rejected it even without looking. Hates the tailgate.
Baleno: Too expensive, Maruti, looks ugly to me at least.
etc.

Awaiting your suggestions. Thanks!

Last edited:
Re: Diesel Hatchback - 6-7.5 Lakhs - Safe, Fun, Practical. Suggestions please?

I'll be honest, I started this thread just before booking the Ford Figo Titanium+. Just so I won't regret it.

My priorities:
  • Safety first
  • Hatch
  • Diesel: Our monthly running is high
  • Good engine, should be happy in the city and a performer on the highway
  • Moderate features, not too loaded, not barebones either
  • Nice interior quality
  • Shouldn't be wider than ~1675mm, my mother also will be driving
  • Boot space doesn't matter
  • Mileage should be reasonable. Not too high, not low but 1000 Rs. worth of fuel should last enough.

Other points: Should only be the top end variant, I don't want to feel like I'm missing something. No Maruti: Don't ask why

Cars considered:
  • Tata Bolt: Took a test drive, but the clutch felt funny. Also, the 1.3 MJD seems a bit old now
  • Fiat Punto: Walked into the showroom. Looked to our left. Paint falling off the walls. The receptionist was just sitting there. Took our name/number. Called someone from the workshop. He pulls the door handle. Locked. "Who the hell locks it?" unlocks it, proceeds to tell us about the car though he knows nobody will buy it. We didn't feel like wasting his time, it was pretty evident the dealership will close down pretty soon. Went away without a test drive. The poor guy handed us the last brochure in the showroom. Rejected, feeling sorry about Fiat India. Never got a call back. Not surprised.

Cars not considered:
etc.

Check out Polo 1.5 TDI and New Figo. I don't think Polo top-end would come under 7.5 Lac but even the Comfortline is decently loaded with kit. 1.5 TDI is good for pottering around town and has good grunt (by diesel standards) on the highway. It is structurally better than other cars you are considering, will come with dual airbags and ABS. Just look at your requirement list and compare it with Polo CL features, I think this is the car for you!

Only problem is the slightly limited ASS network of VW and hard clutch (as compared to other cars). Rest, it ticks each and every box for you. And do note that comfortline diesel is running some good discounts, in the range of 50k I think.

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Shridhar, I believe now there is nothing left for you in hatchback segment apart from the obvious i.e booking the Figo Hatch. However if at all you are interested, do check the Compact sedans too like Aspire, Zest or Xcent. The advantage is that you can have proper rear seating without worrying for luggage as there is a separate boot. Also you can see the mid/base variant of Polo.

Regards

Akash

The requirements themselves shout Ford Figo Titanium and if you frequently get north of 120 mark (or even 150) then look for Polo TDI.

For 7.5 lac you will get Figo Titanium or Trend and Polo I guess at Max Comfortline can fit the budget after discounts and all.

I guess you are pretty much settled on buying a Ford Figo. All i can say is try and get discounts that car isn't selling so well as people expected. It is a good car except that is strictly a four seater and fifth passenger will feel uncomfortable.

The requirements themselves shout Ford Figo Titanium and if you frequently get north of 120 mark (or even 150) then look for Polo TDI.

For 7.5 lac you will get Figo Titanium or Trend and Polo I guess at Max Comfortline can fit the budget after discounts and all.
On road price for my 1.5 TDI HL came to Rs. 8.21 Lakhs and considering Polo is having huge discounts i think CL will surely fit your bill and it comes with Airbags as standard.

Cars considered:
  • Fiat Punto:

Cars not considered:
etc.

You even didn't mentioned polo, any special reason for this.

Thread Starter #7

I guess you are pretty much settled on buying a Ford Figo. All i can say is try and get discounts that car isn't selling so well as people expected. It is a good car except that is strictly a four seater and fifth passenger will feel uncomfortable.
Thanks, as I mentioned I just made the post before buying Figo. So I won't miss anything. 98% of the time there will be 4 people. Occasionally when my bro comes home that becomes 5 [:)]

On road price for my 1.5 TDI HL came to Rs. 8.21 Lakhs and considering Polo is having huge discounts i think CL will surely fit your bill and it comes with Airbags as standard.

You even didn't mentioned polo, any special reason for this.
I test drove the Polo October last year. It was a bit expensive, to buy and maintain both. As I mentioned I only want the top end variant, and don't know how, the guys quoted 9.7 Lakhs for HL! Besides the horror stories of ASS and emission scandal were two big turn-offs. That said, the GT TDI was my dream car. In fact, I even mentioned it in my intro thread! Thank you for replying.

Thread Starter #9
Figo top end will not come under 7.5l.
The cheapest would be Bolt I guess. With the discounts going on, you will get it around 8l or may be just under 8l.
I mean Ex-Showroom [:)] because OTR is quite variable. Figo top-end is 7.41 l Ex and 8.5 l OTR in my city, according to CarWale. Sorry, I did not specify if the budget was OTR or ExShowroom.

You have already made the best choice. What else we all can suggest except Polo. You have your own doubts for polo so you left with what you have already chosen i.e Figo. Now go and get it man and enjoy.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
i just saw your thread. like vipul said i think figo will be the best and then the polo. i like both the cars but didn't consider polo because it was too expensive.
i am getting a mileage of 18.5kmpl constantly 100% city, 20% ac.

car easily covers 300 kms in half tank and close to 480 kms when only a quarter of fuel is left ( 25-27 liters used)
and you will be opting for the top end model which comes with 6 airbags which no other car provides.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12
Auto_Pilot said:
You have already made the best choice. What else we all can suggest except Polo. You have your own doubts for polo so you left with what you have already chosen i.e Figo. Now go and get it man and enjoy.
Thank you! If I get my car, soon, I'll be booking it soon. Have had enough of the Chevy guys throwing BS at me.

i just saw your thread. like vipul said i think figo will be the best and then the polo. i like both the cars but didn't consider polo because it was too expensive.
i am getting a mileage of 18.5kmpl constantly 100% city, 20% ac.

car easily covers 300 kms in half tank and close to 480 kms when only a quarter of fuel is left ( 25-27 liters used)
and you will be opting for the top end model which comes with 6 airbags which no other car provides.
Thank you. That kind of info is invaluable; coming from an owner that is! I hope the Ford guys don't throw BS at me. A question for you, does the car have two tripmeters or one? I'm [confused] about that.

@Shrid, which Fiat dealer you experienced?
Have taken TD of punto. Irrespective of dealership experience, mefeels you should take TD of punto so that you can compare it with others.

Anyways, what's BS?

Top Bottom