A Hatchback For City Use

Thread Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I want a hatchback for My Mom. She already have a 2011 Ford figo 1.4 Now we want to replace car!!. My mom wants car to be smaller than current figo!! Loaded with features Wanted your suggestions. Planning to buy or book in January 2016.

Requirements :

Budget : below 8 Lakhs

New or Used : New

Top five priorities : low/medium maintenance , Should be easy to drive , feature loaded , good engine performance , good nvh levels.

Monthly Running : Below 800 kms (Mom uses only for shopping,groceries or to meet relatives)

Type of Fuel : Petrol

Purpose : Only for city use

Seating Capacity : mostly 2 members occasionally 4

Type of segment : Hatchback

Cars Shortlisted : Tata Zica(Seriously considerd) , Honda Brio , Volkswagen polo , Hyundai Grand I10 , Elite I20 , Honda Jazz , Ford New Figo , Nissan Micra , tata Bolt.

Problem is Mom wanted a car that has to be smaller than current figo. And she don't want any alto,eon.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Figo Hatch of present gen is indeed smaller than the earlier one. It can be good option and apart from that Grand i10 can be good too. Also, try checking out the new Kwid Top Variant.

Regards

Akash

Manish, Zica will be a good car regarding size but the low end grunt of the engine is not yet tested. So till then, Grand i10 looks like the apt choice to me. Brio is also a good option. Polo, i20, Jazz, Baleno would be bigger/equal to the Figo in side.

And bro, I am also in the EXACT situation as you. Need new car, upto 8 Lac, Petrol or Diesel, exact same priorities as yours, need it for my mom, and it has to be a hatchback! [clap] We are currently considering Celerio AMT, Brio AT and Grand i10 for their size, easy-ness to drive and Baleno for its big-car feel (personally I really like it) and Polo for its hefty discounts! [lol]

Thread Starter #4
Manish, Zica will be a good car regarding size but the low end grunt of the engine is not yet tested. So till then, Grand i10 looks like the apt choice to me. Brio is also a good option. Polo, i20, Jazz, Baleno would be bigger/equal to the Figo in side.

And bro, I am also in the EXACT situation as you. Need new car, upto 8 Lac, Petrol or Diesel, exact same priorities as yours, need it for my mom, and it has to be a hatchback! [clap] We are currently considering Celerio AMT, Brio AT and Grand i10 for their size, easy-ness to drive and Baleno for its big-car feel (personally I really like it) and Polo for its hefty discounts! [lol]
Thanks bro, Hah Really exactly same situation!! Yeah grand i10 or brio will be good. Mom tells me current figo diesel is under powerd!!
Going to Test Drive Grand i10 and brio tomorrow. I'm confusing between grand i10 and brio because brio has good powerful engine and grand i10 is feature loaded!!
I'll update tomorrow after TD.
bro Your mom monthly running is 1000 - 1200 kms right. I'll recommend Brio manual as it's proven workhorse and gives good FE and will be hassle free and has some serious performance!!

Our car will be using less that's why considering zica!! Our Drivers has enough time to spend in Fass[lol] if anything goes wrong with zica if we buy it.
I'll be taking decision after reading tata zica review on TAI!!.

@akash Reporter Saab waiting for Your Review on Tata Zica!!

Last edited:
Yes, wait for the official TAI review on the Zica. And I am waiting for your driving impressions of both the cars - Brio and Grand i10. What are the offers in your city? I am getting insurance off on both the cars and some more discounts on Grand i10 in NCR.

We are opting for petrol only as diesel cars don't have powerful low-end grunt, whereas we want a peppy low end and no lag. Petrol cars have quite linear power curves and power delivery is more smooth. Add to that, clutch is smooth and NVH are well controlled. We are thinking of either the Grand i10 Manual or Celerio AMT. But I am currently trying to convince parents for the Baleno Alpha! [glasses] Let's see how things unfold. I would purchase next month (Jan).

Akash1886

Honoured Member
I'll be taking decision after reading tata zica review on TAI!!.

@akash Reporter Saab waiting for Your Review on Tata Zica!!
Yaar Manish, be patient[:)], it has been unveiled to media today only. Let it arrive at dealers. I have provided my details and would be following up with them. ASAP, the Zica review will be up in our forum surely.

Regards

Akash

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
@ manish - you have a good budget. i will recommend grand i10 asta (o) variant.
jazz will be bigger in size , polo will be a little tirng for her since the steering is heavy and the clutch travel is long. and yes do wait for the zica.

@ ice wise - there are discounts worth 90k on the grand i10. free insurance plus 15k cash discount is from company. the dealer will give you another 30k cash discount with accessories and 35k exchange bonus.

Thread Starter #9
@ manish - you have a good budget. i will recommend grand i10 asta (o) variant.
jazz will be bigger in size , polo will be a little tirng for her since the steering is heavy and the clutch travel is long. and yes do wait for the zica.

@ ice wise - there are discounts worth 90k on the grand i10. free insurance plus 15k cash discount is from company. the dealer will give you another 30k cash discount with accessories and 35k exchange bonus.
Thanks for suggestion Dude, tomorrow we are going to test drive grand i10 and honda brio. Celerio is rejected. My mom don't want maruti suzuki cars. And polo is also rejected bro!! Highly considering Grand i10, Brio and tata zica.
Elite i20 and jazz ruled out because of their size!!

If she wants a car 'smaller' than figo,I think there is not much of achance in B2 segment.You can consider B1 segment like Celerio Petrol.With that budget Celerio AMT Zxi (O) will be correct choice. It is the right city car as of now.

Thread Starter #13
@ Roadrunner : Thanks for suggestions.

@ Music_Swift : Hi, bro yes we are keeping eye on new figo also because of that awesome powerful engine which can beat GT Tdi and C segment sedans also. Today Going to MODY Ford for TD Ford Figo and will TD honda brio and grand i10 also. I'll Update after TD. But maybe figo will be little out of budget anyway if mom liked figo then no problem with budget!!

@Gemeralmax : Thanks for suggestion bro, yes celerio is good for City use. But problem is she won't like Maruti cars just because of there are many maruti cars on roads. And mom wants only Manual Transmission(Strange i thought ladies only likes AT cars[lol] ). So considering Grand i10 and figo and brio and zica as well.

manish12345 - Any updates?

allhyundaicars - I am getting Asta Option for 6.16 L. Out of that 90k, I am not able to get the exchange bonus and cash discount is also a bit less.

Thread Starter #15
manish12345 - Any updates?

allhyundaicars - I am getting Asta Option for 6.16 L. Out of that 90k, I am not able to get the exchange bonus and cash discount is also a bit less.
Hi, Ice_wise, sorry for Delay. We test driven Grand I10 and Ford figo. Brio was not available that time. We are getting asta option for 6.35 L they are ready to give 25k exchange bonus!!
My mom Impression on Grand i10 : Overall She liked car. She impressed on Nvh levels(cranked engine two times[lol] ).
Steering feels very light and comfortable in city(she also mentioned that handling is better in current figo!!) impressed with features. Liked the engine. Clutch is very light. Very easy to drive/park in city. She liked Rear Camera(as it helps for parking)We may finalize this car!!

Ford New Figo Diesel : liked exterior overall. Steering feels heavy(as it is hydraulic unit). She didn't liked nvh levels in figo. Liked it's power. Clutch feels heavy but liked the handling. Final words she sayed to me "We are not getting this car" i sayed it's OK.

So, we are going to test drive Honda Brio Tomorrow.

My mom really liked the Grand i10. she sayed me to book car. But i told to Test Drive brio.
I'll update tomorrow after Test driving Honda Brio.

Top Bottom