The Car Question

Thread Starter #1
Hi i am about to buy a used car.let me give my preference and choices.

I don't like hatch backs..i like sedans or compact SUV.
my budget if stretched can be up to 10 lakhs max.

I want a all rounder car..with good looks, moderate power, moderate mileage(diesel), not too costly to maintain,..

Cars i considerd .

Vw vento - didn't like how the front looks, costly maintaince for its class.

Ciaz - looks were ok, more than enough mileage but engine is too weak.

Honda city - awesome interior, good mileage but i hate the exterior looks, it looks good only from certain angles.

Terano and duster - like the exterior of both, but dull interior and absence of bells and whistles is a concern.only a few things can be fixed from after market..but it still is my second option.

eco sports - i don't like the looks.
Global fiesta - again ugly.

Verna - i like most of the things but i hate how the rear looks, especially the rear tail light. I know about the handing but at least it can be fixed later if i wanted to.

cruze - everything awesome except the high maintenance and low mileage.
Corolla - latest gen is beyond my budget and old altiz is underpowered, old style interiors.

my last choice is fluidic elantra diesel and it seems to have everything.

Does any of you own one ? How is the maintenance figures ? I heard it's around 80000/- to 10000/- per service..doesn't the honda city and duster etc too cost 6000+ per service ? Is there any big troubles with that car when compared to others ? Any chances of big bills coming on my way ?

If you're not extending budget I would advice you to look at City/Ciaz if you want sedan or Creta/SCross/Ecosport if you want an Crossover.

I have Vento's sibling Rapid while my 2 brothers own a Verna & Ecosport. Maintenance of Rapid is highest, around 10000/service, least is the Ecosport around 4000/service.

If you can stretch a bit to around 13-15 lakhs I would say look at VW Jetta TSi/TDi. This is an excellent car and much better then Cruze & Elantra. It has very packaged car and the next best is Toyota Corolla which has very good backseat.

At 10 lakhs max!!!

Sedan - Ciaz/Verna/City
Crossover - Ecosport!!

Please ask yourself. Why I need Crossover? Or do I need Crossover? If your city is filled with beautiful roads like in Bangalore, then go for Ecosport for it's high GC. Else, if you have good roads, then go for Sedans. Sedan's offer much more settled ride and handling than the botoxed Crossovers. So first, get your priorities straight and ask question.

Sorry for OT, but nowadays I started seeing this trend of, whether I should go for Sedan or SUV for XX lakhs!! Isn't it more like, Should I go for SUV for this and that usage?

Thread Starter #4
At 10 lakhs max!!!

Sedan - Ciaz/Verna/City
Crossover - Ecosport!!

Please ask yourself. Why I need Crossover? Or do I need Crossover? If your city is filled with beautiful roads like in Bangalore, then go for Ecosport for it's high GC. Else, if you have good roads, then go for Sedans. Sedan's offer much more settled ride and handling than the botoxed Crossovers. So first, get your priorities straight and ask question.

Sorry for OT, but nowadays I started seeing this trend of, whether I should go for Sedan or SUV for XX lakhs!! Isn't it more like, Should I go for SUV for this and that usage?
I don't really need a compact suv, our roads are not as good as bangalore but most parts are ok..I have considered duster for its looks within the budget..looks is the first qualification round : D.

Is there any particular reason why you wouldn't recommend elantra ? it ticks all my requirements...only concern is about its maintenance cost..especially any major issues. 10000/ per service is ok with me since i won't be doing more the 12000 km/ per year.

If you are going to buy used cars!! Why not consider a xuv 500 or cruze!! Or Fortuner or innova....
About Cruze maintenance cost - Normal service for cruze at Chevrolet Fass it'll cost below 10k....
It's only high for replacement costs. If any replacement is due then you can do it outside garage for cheap!! But if you can find a cruze with 20k kms below it'll be great deal!!
Source : My Own Experience!!

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
If you are going to buy used cars!! Why not consider a xuv 500 or cruze!! Or Fortuner or innova....
About Cruze maintenance cost - Normal service for cruze at Chevrolet Fass it'll cost below 10k....
It's only high for replacement costs. If any replacement is due then you can do it outside garage for cheap!! But if you can find a cruze with 20k kms below it'll be great deal!!
Source : My Own Experience!!
My concerns with cruze is
It gives lesser mileage than elantra.
Brake pads and clutch plates needs frequent
Replacement compared to elantra or any other car in that class.
Generally i believe elantra is more maintenance friendly than cruze.
Xuv500 and Fortuner are out of budget and heavy maintenance cars too. Innova is good but i am not looking for a dull transport vehicle..i am looking for a stylish sedan or a stylish compact Suv with enough bells and whistles.

I don't really need a compact suv, our roads are not as good as bangalore but most parts are ok..I have considered duster for its looks within the budget..looks is the first qualification round : D.

Is there any particular reason why you wouldn't recommend elantra ? it ticks all my requirements...only concern is about its maintenance cost..especially any major issues. 10000/ per service is ok with me since i won't be doing more the 12000 km/ per year.
Then don't go for Crossovers!! You think roads in Bangalore is okay? [lol]

Reason why I didn't suggested Elantra is, because, I wanted to suggest new cars for you. That's it. Putting 10L at used cars is a bit of a risk IMO!! Elantra is a good car, but finding the well maintained, fit in our budget car is tough ask!! Trust me, I am searching for an used car for a long time and finding one at right price is bit of a herculean task. If you find such car, go for it. Else, stick with new car for it's peace of mind and new car smell!!!

I understood your query as below:

- You have a budget of 10 Lakhs and you are interested in a sedan.
- Your running is approx 1k per month.
- You want a car with service bills in the range of 8k - 10k.

Let me answer as per my understanding now:

- Petrol should be your preferred fuel as the running is low to average.
- C segment should be your choice. If you go for D segment (Jetta, Octavia, Laura, Cruze, Corolla), the service bills will be 10k+. Assume around 15k.
- Now the list is trimmed to Rapid, Vento, Ciaz, Verna and City.

You can choose any C segment car with petrol engine and it will cost you less than 10k easily. Why looking for second hand then? You can buy a new one Sir.

Do I make sense here or am I missing something. [confused]

Thread Starter #10
I understood your query as below:

- You have a budget of 10 Lakhs and you are interested in a sedan.
- Your running is approx 1k per month.
- You want a car with service bills in the range of 8k - 10k.

Let me answer as per my understanding now:

- Petrol should be your preferred fuel as the running is low to average.
- C segment should be your choice. If you go for D segment (Jetta, Octavia, Laura, Cruze, Corolla), the service bills will be 10k+. Assume around 15k.
- Now the list is trimmed to Rapid, Vento, Ciaz, Verna and City.

You can choose any C segment car with petrol engine and it will cost you less than 10k easily. Why looking for second hand then? You can buy a new one Sir.

Do I make sense here or am I missing something. [confused]
I have checked a elantra on hyundai true value, owner was spending 10000/- per service( which includes some engine 3m underbody coating, engine flushing etc) but at 40000 km he had to replace clutch plate etc and the bill was 40000/- and that is my concern...big bills from major service or failures.i hope elantra users here ( if any) can share there experience with me.

The car i have check was near one lakh km so i chose not to go for it and waite for something below 40000 km range.
My problem with c segment is thag non of it looks good..i am a fan of looks of elantra and cruze if it's modified.

Last edited:
If you want to go for the second hand route, go for Altis. It will be amazing on maintenance and the engine is not underpowered for pottering around town. Toyota cars (and engines) have very good drivability and perform best in the usable rev range.

Else you can go for 3rd Gen Honda City, looks good, decent mileage, great performance and okay-okay maintenance. So you have another option, you can save the remaining amount for future maintenance/fuel costs or your next car.

For new cars, as Auto_Pilot correctly suggested, go for Rapid/Vento Diesel or Ciaz Petrol. Verna would be hard to fit in 10-11 Lac category I think.

I have checked a elantra on hyundai true value, owner was spending 10000/- per service( which includes some engine 3m underbody coating, engine flushing etc) but at 40000 km he had to replace clutch plate etc and the bill was 40000/- and that is my concern...big bills from major service or failures.i hope elantra users here ( if any) can share there experience with me.

The car i have check was near one lakh km so i chose not to go for it and waite for something below 40000 km range.
My problem with c segment is thag non of it looks good..i am a fan of looks of elantra and cruze if it's modified. ��
Bro,

You have a liking for elantra. Nothing else pleases the mind when something is already a hit in mind. You have yourself answered my next question. Elantra would be costlier to maintain if you compare it with any c segment car. This is natural as it is one segment up. Bro, you cannot compare the maintenance cost of maruti 800 with Audi. I understand that here the comparison is not so vast. I just wanted you to understand that buying a segment up is not an issue as your budget allows it but be ready for higher maintenance cost as well.

If the car is running well then it will just cost you 2-3 k more to service it in comparison to a car which is one segment below. However if any fault occurs or if you have to change a part than the difference will be huge. As you move up in segment cost to maintain the car will increase. If you are ready for it go for it.

@Rambo123,so what you decided, petrol or diesel?

I was also in similar situation as mentioned in your opening post, but I required two cars & running was 2 to 2.k km. monthly each ,hence I went for a new car
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...vventura-emotion-diesel-ownership-review.html
and a used car,
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...oda-rapid-elegance-plus-ownership-review.html

A person who is looking for a used car should stay away from cars with best resale value so as to save money eg. Ciaz, Honda city diesel, as best resale value does not always mean best cars.
Also, one should look for a strong, and safe car.
Fiat & Skoda are the two brands with poor resale value,however they have best built quality and primarily safe.

So if your usual route has
1)bad roads, go for Linea
2) not so good-not so bad roads, go for Skoda Rapid preferably AT
3)excellent roads, go for new Ford fiesta
Most of the spare parts of these cars locally manufactured now a days hence cheaper to maintain.

Go for a car with age less than 2 years & running less than 25 kkm. with 2+2 years warranty purchased by the first owner so that ASS cost remains under control.
Also go through following threads.
http://googleweblight.com/?lite_url...911264&sig=ALL1Aj4qJWzOD4fZHOvzcb8Z31dnQ5e0Zg
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...cars-under-rs-10-lakhs-boost-your-status.html

Stay away from duster known for rust issue.
Nissan Terrano not known for rust yet but resale prices, no problem if you get it in your budget.

Stay away from XUV if it is older than two yearsknown for multiple brake replacements & suspension noise.

Safari Storme is good choice if you can manage with 10 to 14 kmpl FE.

Last edited:
Verna would be hard to fit in 10-11 Lac category I think.
In my city, Verna S Petrol OTR is 10.3L, which means after good discount of 80k(as per their recent advertisement and considering it isn't moving as good as City), the price can be easily brought down to 9.5L OTR!! Which means, even S(O) can be bought for ~10L easily.

@Rambo123
Please try to get new one, for the peace of mind it offers. If wanna go for used, try Altis. You can get well maintained ones easily around 6-8L brackets(30l to 45k kms on ODO!!). Keep 1L for any upgrades and other expenses. And enjoy the car. Service bills will be in the ballpark of 6-10k(as per TSIVipul post in my thread!!).

If your mind is so stuck with used Elantra, try to buy one with less than 40k on ODO! Bargain hard!!

In my city, Verna S Petrol OTR is 10.3L, which means after good discount of 80k(as per their recent advertisement and considering it isn't moving as good as City), the price can be easily brought down to 9.5L OTR!! Which means, even S(O) can be bought for ~10L easily.

@Rambo123
Please try to get new one, for the peace of mind it offers. If wanna go for used, try Altis. You can get well maintained ones easily around 6-8L brackets(30l to 45k kms on ODO!!). Keep 1L for any upgrades and other expenses. And enjoy the car. Service bills will be in the ballpark of 6-10k(as per TSIVipul post in my thread!!).

If your mind is so stuck with used Elantra, try to buy one with less than 40k on ODO! Bargain hard!!
Oh, really sorry! I had the Diesel Verna in mind while writing that statement. Thanks for pointing out.

Top Bottom