Is Maruti Ertiga a Good Choice? Advise Needed!

Thread Starter #1
Dear TAI,
A lot of discussions and confusions i increse my budget and shortlist to Ertiga Vxi or Ldi.

My doubts are :
* Ertiga is good to Handling and comfort ? (i will test drive a day after tomorrow.)
* Ertiga Vxi on road Fuel Efficiency ? Also Ldi too ?
* Any major Drawbacks or Disadvantages on Ertiga ?

Thank floks...

Re: Maurti Ertiga is a Good choice ? Advise needed !

Go for V variant with ABS at least. Base variants are too bare basic and are better suited for taxis.

1. Ertiga is a great handler, very car-like to drive. It handles very well around corners with limited bodyroll by MUV standards. Do not expect the handling of a corner carving hatchback or sedan though. Comfort is decent at low speeds on bad roads. Ride is fine on highways but there is lateral movement for 3rd row on bad roads at high speeds.

2. ARAI certified is around 16 kmpl for petrol and 20 kmpl for diesel. Expect around 12-13 kmpl for petrol and 16-17 kmpl for diesel in realistic driving conditions. Still it is not bad for a 7 seater.

3. Drawbacks are lack of space for 2nd and 3rd row with all seats in place. Negligible boot space with all 7 seats up. And maybe a very light cabin colour (beige mostly) will be a problem for cleaning.

Last edited:

It's a great car with good Highway abilities and decent city drivability. It's an extremely spacious 5 seated and adequately spacious 7seater unless all the passengers are not of 6ft. Seating comfort for all rows are good and the front seats are the best in an Mpv under 15L. Even the 3rd row has the best comfort and support among mpvs under 20L. Nvh levels are better than rivals. Handling and ride is almost as good as sedans. Load lugging ability is also pretty good for a light Mpv! Boot space is minimal with all seats in place but you can increase the space to innova levels by removing the underfloor box in the boot. The max efficiency I have achieved is 20.5 kmpl average driving at 80kmph. But the new model seems to offer even higher efficiency. The new model offers airbags and abs even on the base model. So there are higher levels of equipment and safety now.
The drawbacks are the turbo lag below 1800rpm and the fact that you have to slide the second row a bit forward to fold the 3rd row. Interiors are full beige in colour and tend to get dirty. Better to opt for darker colour seat covers.
It is a very flexible car. The new model has split last row as well.
It's a great vfm mpv and the best under 15L. Go ahead and you won't regret.

Last edited:

Even the 3rd row has the best comfort and support among mpvs under 20L.
I agree with all the lines in your above post except this one. Innova and Aria are bigger cars with definitely better 3rd row space and comfort.

Innova has better space, not comfort. Ertiga has most supportive and ergonomic 3rd row. In the innova's third row, you don't get enough thigh support whereas you get much better support in Ertiga. You also won't get dizzy in the Ertiga's third row whereas I know of many people who get dizzy even in the second row of Innova. In the Aria the situation of space and comfort is even worse. Headroom and legroom is very poor and the backrest is really upright. The Hexa will have better third row due to this feedback.
All you have to do is to adjust the seats and rows accordingly with adequate space for everyone.
Adding to my previous post, the efficiency figure after a recent Chennai trip was around 21kmpl cruising around 90kmph.

Last edited:

Dear TAI,
A lot of discussions and confusions i increse my budget and shortlist to Ertiga Vxi or Ldi.
Sirji MUVs do carry a good amount of momentum when doing moderate to high speeds carrying five or more people. Hence ABS is a must for them. My recommendation will be V trims only. Check your running and decide if you need petrol or diesel, rest let me tell you that you and your dear-near will love the NVH as well as the high revving exhaust note of the Ertiga petrol. 1.4K is one gem of an engine and so is the perfectly mated engine+gearbox combo of Ertiga diesel.

My doubts are :
* Ertiga is good to Handling and comfort ? (i will test drive a day after tomorrow.)
Sirji I got to drive an Ertiga way back when it was launched (now I have no Ertiga in my circle) and I have driven that car all the way to Mussoorie covering hills, 4 lane highway and dual carriageway with bad patches too. And I must say that I was thoroughly impressed by the vehicle, its ride quality, seating comfort and dynamics. IMO if you need a comfy cruiser under 10 lac which can be seldom used as a 7 seater then look no further. As a four seater the Ertiga is awesome; just push the middle bench to its rear extreme and recline the seatback as per your comfort, remove the third row and you have a super comfortable four seater (with armrest open) big a very big boot.

I own an Innova and I will agree with DJ bro to some extent. To be very true, I myself can't ride in the middle or third row of most of the MPVs on the hilly routes. Innova is good in front two rows but the third row isn't that good. BUT there is an exception.

IMO Xylo followed by Innova have best third row and Ertiga really can't accommodate 6 adults comfortably because either the middle row or the final row occupants will have to compromise on space. Adding to this I can't agree that any MPV ( I mean ANY) under 20 lac has adequate thigh support in third row.

Last edited by a moderator:

My Petrol Zxi has covered almost 40000 KM in 2 years.
Now i can say Ertiga is the best VFM MUV in india.
Car like handling, Space, mileage, low on maintenance and many more...
Also the main part is Excellent engine in both petrol and diesel variant.

Go for it, you will never regret.

@ DJ Bro... well said.

Go for it without any confusion.It is really a good VFM vehicle.Also opt for Extended Warranty as many ertiga and the dzires have the gearbox problem(Because our ertiga vdi suffered the gearbox problem in 2 years but we missed to put the extended warranty by 1 day so company is not even compromising it ,We paid and got fixed @ 40k kilometers). When enquired about this type of gearbox problem ,It is common in many ertiga and dzire ,which was said maruti service guy.

This is my 2nd car (1st being Indica) and I would say it is excellent in Handling and comfort. Turning radius, Hills, muddy roads. every where she has behaved well with me.

* Ertiga Vxi on road Fuel Efficiency ? Also Ldi too ?
I get around 13-14 with AC on Highways. Bangalore City with wonderful traffic I get around 11-12.

* Any major Drawbacks or Disadvantages on Ertiga ?
1st, 2nd gear changing sometimes is hard. Have heard the same from few other people riding Ertiga
3rd row is little discomfort for people above 5'11". Fine and great for kids though
Default Interior color is dull. You can juice it by seat covers.
No projector headlamps or DLR in top end

Just my cents to share

Short answer - Yes, Ertiga is a good MPV. Don't fret about the 3rd row seat. Like all compact MPVs, 3rd row is for kids. I am sure most of us occupy it only on some rare occasions.

Are you really looking for a MPV or you just need a big car. The purpose of 7 seater is to utilize its full capacity when you have big family. If yes, then you have lot of options too choose from depending on your budget.

There are few factors to be considered while buying a car,
- percentage of city or highway drive
- times when full capacity of car is used
- age, physic of people travelling
- budget... the most

For you,

- MS Ertiga [Petrol/Diesel]
- Toyota Innova [Petrol/Diesel]
- Renault Lodgy [Diesel]
- Honda Mobilio [Petrol/Diesel]
- Nissan Evalia [Petrol/Diesel]
- Chevrolet Enjoy [Petrol/Diesel]
- Tata Aria [Diesel]

are the choice you left with. Out of the above ARIA, INNOVA, Lodgy are big MPV's.
If you are looking for hill road, town road performer then go for ARIA. Aria 4x4 variant rides on the biggest tyres and best suspension in this category so the comfort is much better on bad roads.

Regarding the 3rd row comfort, you will personally have to do little experiments with TD on all these cars, but surely most will leave you unsatisfied due to its less knee space or thigh support or the back rake angle on last row.

I would suggest you to check out Mobilio or Lodgy [110 ps]. Ride and handling is really smooth out of all the list.

Ertiga is really good car when you think of 2 kids on last row, but else is may not be good choice if old people travelling on last row due to its bumpy suspension.

Top Bottom