Maruti Baleno Zeta or Honda Jazz V or Tata Zest XT?

Thread Starter #1
Hi,
This is sayantan from Kolkata, joined TAI recently.
After gone through different ownership/official reviews narrow down my car buying option to baleno zeta, jazz v zest xt. Requirements: Reliability, Good ASS, Comfort, Moderate FE, Low maintenance, Back seat comfort, boot space and suitable for 5. My budget is app 7.5 lakh on road. My usage will be minimal monthly 500 to 700 km.
Request your recommendation.

Baleno or Jazz. If you are more inclined towards comfort at the rear bench, go for the Jazz. Otherwise Baleno is a better performer (in petrol) with slight compromise on rear seat comfort. Zest is reliable, but not as much as the Baleno or the Honda. Baleno's maintenance would be slightly lower than the Jazz. Test drive both and see which one you like more.

Baleno's maintenance would be slightly lower than the Jazz. Test drive both and see which one you like more.
The thing in reality is that Maruti charges higher Labour compared to Honda/Ford/Toyota. Hence you end paying same. That Maruti is cheap to maintain is a myth. Honda's spare parts are costly but those are for almost non common parts/components. For other major components they are par with segment. I have serviced Brio thrice in 2.5 years of ownership and the total bill hasn't crossed Rs. 4000, the same cannot be said about Maruti. Our Wagon R also has had 3 paid service and the bill has averaged Rs.6800 which doesn't include any other parts apart from regular service things (Filters, Oil, wipers, etc). Many will not agree with my view though, i know it but i have done my part in telling to you guys that Maruti isn't cheap to maintain as it was once upon a time.

My vote would be for the Zest. You get immense comfort, value along with equal levels of equipment and great space. The zest is quite a solidly built car too. All this at a marginally cheaper price than the Baleno. As seen by ownership reviews, quality and reliability seems to be pretty much at par with other brands. Overall you get your money's full worth. Test drive and compare with other contenders before choosing.

Thread Starter #7
I was on the verge to book a baleno but after foundnegative review about the back seat comfort the said question arise in my mind.Tata zest has good review till date but not sure about the reliability and FE.Honda jazz costlier among all with less feature also limited servicing optionin West Bengal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tata Zest if you are okay with the Brand else Honda Jazz. Baleno has very bad ride quality for the people seated in the rear and add to that the low kerb weight (Lower by 100kgs to Swift)

@Saytan,

if you want a flexible car in which you can carry oversized items, go for the Baleno. You get a good city car with easy driving and parking though back seat comfort is a little less in terms of thigh support. Its no sedan after all

If you want a comfort of the a sedan, go for the Zest. However the back seats are fixed.

I drove the Zest and it has excellent space and comfort. Ride quality is also good. What put me off is the poor QC. The 1st TD car was making a lot of noise. They send a 2nd car the next day but it has niggles like the seat level not going down after straightening the back (this was also the issue with the 1st car) and the driver side mirror not opening fully.

That being said, the Zest XMS offers all the features as the Baleno Delta and adds projector headlights and alloys on top. However, I didn't find both of those a killer deal. The Delta is only 20k more expensive than the Zest XMS after discounts

Ameyam

Thread Starter #10
Not able to uploaded price list of baleno in kolkata, zeta petrol version cost onroad 727768, here 9064 is nexa EW what is that, where jazz v onroad costing is 784160. What is premium about nexa? Found much more comfort from hona representative, they instantly arrange test drive and next day send car to my home for family test drive. I am really amused hy the promptness of honda. Alas where is nexa they promissed me for a test drive at 8 pm and no call received from them after 4 days

Even I am confused between Zest XMS(8.1L) and Baleno Delta (8.5L) in Bangalore. Tata website itself shows mileage as 20.65 for 90PS version, so one would expect 14/15 in Bangalore city driving condition.
Advantages of Baleno over Zest:
1. 6+ kmpl more due to less power/weight.
2. Rear defogger/wiper
3. Auto AC
4. Parking sensors
Advantages of Zest over Baleno:
1. Projector headlamps
2. 15 bhp more power
3. 50 liters of boot space
4. Good music system
5. 40K less than Delta

any expert thoughts between these cars ? [confused]

Even I am confused between Zest XMS(8.1L) and Baleno Delta (8.5L) in Bangalore. Tata website itself shows mileage as 20.65 for 90PS version, so one would expect 14/15 in Bangalore city driving condition.
2. Rear defogger/wiper
3. Auto AC
4. Parking sensors
Advantages of Zest over Baleno:
1. Projector headlamps
2. 15 bhp more power
3. 50 liters of boot space
4. Good music system
5. 40K less than Delta

Tried Both cars extensively myself unless you are brand driven go with Zest 3 years fuss free ownership you don't have to pay a penny more for 3 years. Regarding mileage it is the same fiat engine that maruti uses as well with better power delivery you can get good mileage with Zest as well. you can look up ownership threads on our forum for Zest.

3. Auto AC

The real world fuel economy will not be 2-3 kmpl since zest has vgt turbo pulls really well in higher gears thereby negating constant gear shifts. Baleno suffers from a turbo lag below 2000rpm.

3. Auto AC
Zest AC is known to perform superbly in peak summer weather. Already reports of weak AC in baleno are being reported for rear seat passengers. Owners and reviews are reportedly mentioning of missing rear AC vent in Baleno, whereas Zest even without rear AC vents has no complaints in cooling the rear passengers.

Top Bottom