AT Bug Bit Me! Help Me Get One.

Thread Starter #1
> Your Budget: 8L top-dollar for New! 5L for used!!

> New or Used: Prefer New, but suggestions are open for used ones too!

> Your Location: Coimbatore

> Top Five Priorities: Safety, Comfort, Low Maintenance, Luggage Space

> Monthly Running: less than 1000kms

> Type of Fuel: Petrol

> For What Purpose: Regular City runabout, capable occasional highway cruiser

> Seating Capacity: 4

> Type of Segment: No preference actually

Ok. Now the deal is, I have an close to 1.4 yr old, Hyundai Xcent which I am going to pawn to get my next car. As I mentioned in my title, it should be AT. Hatch/Sedan whatever!!

I would like to buy a new car, but if I am getting a good car at good price, I am okay to take an user car too! Please pour in your suggestions and help me!

New or used:
If you buy a used DSG then there can be some reliability issues - no need to take this risk
If you buy a used CVT (older ones, current ones are good) or torque converter, that's far from fun to drive - no use again
If you buy a new DSG then it won't come for 8 lac - no use again
You can go and buy the car which got you maddened a couple of days back. You know what car I am talking about.

All in all, if you need:
1) Space, practicality and reliability - go for Baleno or Jazz
2) Fun to drive BIG engine with dual clutch - go for Figo

My suggestion will be Figo A/T only if you are more into heavy footed driving, else Jazz/Baleno CVT should match all your requirements and that also quite well.

If I was at your place (married I mean) then it had to be the Jazz CVT for me any day, else it will be Polo GT TSi, Figo A/T is neither the best performing nor is best in terms of comfort and practicality. Your call now.

Last edited:
I agree that Jazz is first choice. Put Nissan Micra CVT (XL/XV) too in consideration list. It is more nimble and more manageable in traffic and has less life-time cost. In fact, you may even get good 2nd hand deal.

Yes Nissan Micra, Renault Pulse, Honda Jazz and MS Baleno all can serve you better, all you need to test drive those to get a perfect match to your body posture and driving style.

Since you have good budget to spend, you must always think of safety first. So ABS+Airbags should be first on your list.

Polo TSi is safe & good but it lacks space and maintenance part is already known, but it has Brilliant engine/ gearbox combo.

Baleno is good but it doesn't feel different from Swift, regarding safety part I don't know yet but hope it does better then Swift.

Jazz CVT suits the best for you. It has space, it is comfortable, it is reliable and it is safe too. This being a global product and the fact that it is exported to South Africa from here, I expect it to do good.

So yeah, the Jazz looks too good then for you.

These are the 3 best hatchbacks out in the market currently and 2 of them are relatively new so that should help you're cause.

My advice is go for Figo.As it is VFM and Ford parts are cheaper than VW,go for Figo DCT.When it comes to used,go for City or Corolla Altis as its maintenance is cheap.You could get 2009-11 City at the price you have mentioned.

Thread Starter #7
New or used:
If you buy a used DSG then there can be some reliability issues - no need to take this risk
If you buy a used CVT (older ones, current ones are good) or torque converter, that's far from fun to drive - no use again
If you buy a new DSG then it won't come for 8 lac - no use again
You can go and buy the car which got you maddened a couple of days back. You know what car I am talking about.

All in all, if you need:
1) Space, practicality and reliability - go for Baleno or Jazz
2) Fun to drive BIG engine with dual clutch - go for Figo

My suggestion will be Figo A/T only if you are more into heavy footed driving, else Jazz/Baleno CVT should match all your requirements and that also quite well.

If I was at your place (married I mean) then it had to be the Jazz CVT for me any day, else it will be Polo GT TSi, Figo A/T is neither the best performing nor is best in terms of comfort and practicality. Your call now.
I liked Figo A/T, to be frank. But I am too afraid to put my hard earned money in DCT!! I have driven TC/CVT but not enough to make a decision. So now it's time for me to shop for New/Used AT cars and see which one is VFM and fits my bill exactly!!

I agree that Jazz is first choice. Put Nissan Micra CVT (XL/XV) too in consideration list. It is more nimble and more manageable in traffic and has less life-time cost. In fact, you may even get good 2nd hand deal.
Thanks for the suggestion! I felt Xcent is not spacious enough, and in that context, Micra is heavily uncomfortable for me. I TD'ed it along with 3 of my friends and it isn't what I can do my trips in comfort!!

Yes Nissan Micra, Renault Pulse, Honda Jazz and MS Baleno all can serve you better, all you need to test drive those to get a perfect match to your body posture and driving style.

Since you have good budget to spend, you must always think of safety first. So ABS+Airbags should be first on your list.
Sure bro! Thanks for the suggestion!

Polo TSi is safe & good but it lacks space and maintenance part is already known, but it has Brilliant engine/ gearbox combo.

Baleno is good but it doesn't feel different from Swift, regarding safety part I don't know yet but hope it does better then Swift.

Jazz CVT suits the best for you. It has space, it is comfortable, it is reliable and it is safe too. This being a global product and the fact that it is exported to South Africa from here, I expect it to do good.

So yeah, the Jazz looks too good then for you.

These are the 3 best hatchbacks out in the market currently and 2 of them are relatively new so that should help you're cause.
For me, 1.2L in Jazz is seriously under-powered! And couple it with CVT, it sure going to disappoint me! And I am not a fan of new gen Honda's build quality either...

My advice is go for Figo.As it is VFM and Ford parts are cheaper than VW,go for Figo DCT.When it comes to used,go for City or Corolla Altis as its maintenance is cheap.You could get 2009-11 City at the price you have mentioned.
Thanks for the suggestion! Infact. I am trying to get a better maintained Corolla/City. Let's see how it ends!

Jazz feels better built then City, infact leaving the CRV, the Jazz can be best termed as Well Built Honda.

If you're looking to up the ante and get a pre-owned cars like Corolla it's a good thing because you'll get a better built car but at the expense of maintenance costs and fuel economy.
Although the Corolla is cheap to maintain, it's FE is not great especially the Automatic version (since you're looking at AT). My cousin owns one (2010 AT) and he gets 7.5-8 kmpl in city. Please bear in mind that the traffic in my city is not same like say Bangalore, Chennai, etc.

Why not consider the Ciaz Automatic (Good car, but not well built) ? Or a Vento TSi and compromise on maintenance part to enjoy it ? You won't get everything in one car that's the thing.

There isn't a car which is well built but cheap to maintain and vice versa, so its either one or the other.

Thread Starter #9
Jazz feels better built then City, infact leaving the CRV, the Jazz can be best termed as Well Built Honda.

If you're looking to up the ante and get a pre-owned cars like Corolla it's a good thing because you'll get a better built car but at the expense of maintenance costs and fuel economy.
Although the Corolla is cheap to maintain, it's FE is not great especially the Automatic version (since you're looking at AT). My cousin owns one (2010 AT) and he gets 7.5-8 kmpl in city. Please bear in mind that the traffic in my city is not same like say Bangalore, Chennai, etc.

Why not consider the Ciaz Automatic (Good car, but not well built) ? Or a Vento TSi and compromise on maintenance part to enjoy it ? You won't get everything in one car that's the thing.

There isn't a car which is well built but cheap to maintain and vice versa, so its either one or the other.
Mileage is not I am much bothered about! For me, Corolla giving 7-8 in city is ok. But maintenance costs should not be huge! The major reason I chose to go with Corolla is, it is rather cheap to maintain from what I hear from my friends and relatives!

I agree Jazz is better than City, but the new Jazz, is not like how it used to be. And I kinda hate the design. Sorry if it offend anyone!

Anyways, I am getting a good deal at Used 2009 City ZX AT @ 3L. The condition is okay and car runs at about 47000 kms. All service records are available at HASS. All its left to do is, me TD the car!

Ciaz Automatic - I felt it is not worth the price it demands. If cheaper by around ~1L it is indeed decent buy. And TSi!! Are you kidding me. No VW, especially where I live. The sparse service network and poor attitude always make me walk towards the exit.

Saarji it's not for no reason I mentioned Jazz CVT in first post itself. Taking all the factors into consideration and for a mango person of India looking for an A/T, I can't find any other car closer to a perfect package than the Jazz CVT. If you can tell me a valid reason to drop the Jazz for a person looking for a fuss free but comfy automatic hatchback, then I will give you an eclairs.

Saarji it's not for no reason I mentioned Jazz CVT in first post itself. Taking all the factors into consideration and for a mango person of India looking for an A/T, I can't find any other car closer to a perfect package than the Jazz CVT. If you can tell me a valid reason to drop the Jazz for a person looking for a fuss free but comfy automatic hatchback, then I will give you an eclairs.
Jazz is my 1st choice no doubt, but here in Furious Drivers' case he has clearly mentioned the concern about rubber band effect and 1.2 l petrol engine along with tinny build. So I gave him an opinion that you can't have both in one package. He has also found a City ZX Auto which is very good car with good engine, reliable, comfortable and well built sedan for 3 lakhs which is a good deal.

Thread Starter #12
Jazz is my 1st choice no doubt, but here in Furious Drivers' case he has clearly mentioned the concern about rubber band effect and 1.2 l petrol engine along with tinny build. So I gave him an opinion that you can't have both in one package. He has also found a City ZX Auto which is very good car with good engine, reliable, comfortable and well built sedan for 3 lakhs which is a good deal.
Well said!! For me, 1.5 iVTEC + CVT sounds nice and from my past experience, Older City feels far better in build and engine is well established and well tested. Which means, peace of mind(some of it!!). This weekend is going to be a jam packed weekend for me!

How about used Vento or Rapid? Car can be shown to the VAG workshop to know the status of the DSG set up of the car before finalising the deal.

Thread Starter #14
How about used Vento or Rapid? Car can be shown to the VAG workshop to know the status of the DSG set up of the car before finalising the deal.
If you read my post, you may know why I am not selecting DCT over CVT/TC, and DSG is a big no-no! My only criteria is, it should be TC or CVT!!

@FD:
1.5 i-VTEC has got the CVT now and earlier it was the 1.5 engine without VVT which came equipped with a CVT.
Instead I would suggest you look for a used Corolla auto or Civic auto then. All in all, if it has to be new, then it has to be Jazz else go for a bigger engine one.

1.2l i-vtec in Jazz is not an issue at all (CVT takes care of it quite well), it works and it works really well. Rubberband effect is also not as much evident these days as it used to be in older gen City which you are looking at. Current gen CVTs' are quick and responsive to part and heavy throttle responses and hence nothing much to complain about that too.

Top Bottom