Seeking Advice on Buying Used Skoda Laura 2.0 TDi AT

Thread Starter #1
Hello members ...

Myself Monil from Mumbai. I am planning to buy a used car as specified below and need your expert opinions on the few points. Kindly share your thoughts and oblige.

Budget: Rs. 5 lakh
Type: Used Car
Your Location: Mumbai
Top Five Priorities: Safety, Comfort, Design, Luggage Space, Attractive buying price, Automatic Transmission
Monthly Running: Between 1,000 – 1,200 Kms
Type of Fuel: Diesel
Purpose:Regular city driving and highway use once in 2 months
Seating Capacity: Maximum 5 Adults
Type of Segment: Sedan

Now deal is, my friend owns this White color Skoda laura and is upgrading to Ocatavia hence selling off his 2011 model Laura. Single owner, 60,000 kms done. With excellent service record and well maintained exterior. Asking price as quoted by dealer in exchange is 5 lacs hence no negotiations on that. I drove it, its in a worthy condition and AT is a bliss. (I currently use Diesel Hyundai Verna, 1.6 crdi, MT).

I have heard issue related to DSG gearbox & Turbo charger replacement. Both are expensive affairs and likely to crop up in some Skoda cars after age of 4 years.

What would be Approx cost of these damages if at all it comes up at a later date ?
Is it worth buying at this price?
Should i take the risk of possible high maintenance ?

Please share your thoughts and help me conclude this. Thanks in advance.

Monil.

Re: Seek Advise on buying used Skoda Laura, 2.0 Tdi, AT

SKODA Laura L&K 2.0 TDI AT

This one should tick all your priorities
Safety - Excellent safety features + it is a well built and very strong one
Comfort - Very good
Design - Very good
Luggage Space - Excellent
Automatic Transmission - Obviously
Attractive buying price - Seems to be yes - Current owner would have paid at least 17 to 18 lacs OTR in 2011.

You will find the pick up and driving dynamics wonderful and especially when compared to Verna.

Only catch is it is a 50:50 chance.

This car is out of production and was selling in very low numbers for the last three years. Servicing this and getting parts from Skoda could become a tedious exercise if not a nightmare.

Maintaining old generation Skoda Octavia was relatively easy because of the rugged and basic engine and lack of complicated parts as compared to Laura AT.

So it is a risk and you need to take a decision like a hit-or-miss.

If you are avid fan of Skodas & still worried about expenses on ASS, better to go for Skoda Rapid diesel dsg AT. Factory is located at Chakan Pune & 60 %spare parts are produced locally hence no need to pay 100 % custom duties.

In case of Laura all the spare parts need to be imported and takes weeks to arrive after the order. And thus car gets stranded at SAAS for weeks.
Mefeels Jetta would be better buy if you don't want Rapid, atleast it is not discontinued.

I second Autosafari views.

However, I have something to add here. Octavia was renamed as Laura which was not a big hit. So Skoda discontinued it and Octavia was re introduced with modification. Hence, Laura was basically an Octavia.

Yes, the parts are mostly imported but finding a part is not an issue as most of the Octavia parts are shared. Laura is an heck of a car. If your friend is trustworthy, I think you should go ahead with the purchase. It is 18 lac car segment and thus maintenance is naturally more. Do not compare it with verna as there is no match. It is an upgrade to your Verna and you would love it. But it will come at a cost.

The price also seems attractive.

Was in a same situation whether to swap our Vento TDI MT 2012 with Laura DSG or not.I had found a 2011 Laura L&K in White colour,which had run 58K Kms in 4.5 years and price quoted was ₹12.75L.But,missed this deal and my another worry is maintenance costs.We have an independent Skoda mechanic who was referred by dad's friend.He got his old Octavia serviced from him and other friend's 2011 Superb got suspension overhaul from him.

Buying an old AT car that too Laura wouldn't be great decision, but there are good chances that it will run hassle free till you may wish to use. Yes there 50:50 chance of it.

I would suggest to go for Laura MT at least gear box wont be big mess for you, if needed repair. As said by "AutoSAFARI", imported spares will cost twice as the local made.

Top Bottom