Again a Horror Question Raises. Used SUV Under 5 Lac!

Thread Starter #1
Dears,
I post my previous thread about Sedans.Now I have a Question about SUV.
Ride quality and fuel friendly sedans may occur a Ground Clearance problem.And carrying a 5 Adults is also little difficult.

Thats why my mind says go for a SUV.Budget 4.5-5lakhs.

Suggest me a SUV under my budget.

My needs are,
* Fuel Efficiency(Atleast 12kmpl,more number may put smile on my face[:D][:D])
* Maintenance must be smaller.[frustration](Because of my uncle's old Armada and old Safari)

Suggest me dears...

Re: Again a Horror question raises.Please Help !

Okay, you changed your mind very quickly. I hope this is not the case once the purchase is made. [:)]

Anyway, you can get an Innova, Scorpio, Safari, Bolero or Xylo in this price bracket. All these cars would be able to carry 5 adults easily, whereas they will be in maximum comfort in the Innova. You can avoid Safari here as the bills will be higher and the Bolero too as it is too basic for personal use (unless you are a true offroad junkie). Xylo has lots of bodyroll because of the design and may not be comfortable for long drives.

Scorpio and Innova are good choices, although you will get old models with 80k or more kms on the odometer. Still, they (especially Innova) will be good to go for another 100k kms without much trouble. Note that the Scorpio's suspension was far from comfortable and the ride was bumpy (bouncy) over bad roads. Also note that you can forget the "at least 12 kmpl" with the Innova.

Infact, you are demanding too much from an SUV in terms of FE. I get 12.5 kmpl in my Swift Petrol, you have to live with it. Expect upto 10 kmpl in city traffic and two or three kmpl more on long drives.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3

Okay, you changed your mind very quickly. I hope this is not the case once the purchase is made. [:)]

Anyway, you can get an Innova, Scorpio, Safari, Bolero or Xylo in this price bracket. All these cars would be able to carry 5 adults easily, whereas they will be in maximum comfort in the Innova. You can avoid Safari here as the bills will be higher and the Bolero too as it is too basic for personal use (unless you are a true offroad junkie). Xylo has lots of bodyroll because of the design and may not be comfortable for long drives.

Scorpio and Innova are good choices, although you will get old models with 80k or more kms on the odometer. Still, they (especially Innova) will be good to go for another 100k kms without much trouble. Note that the Scorpio's suspension was far from comfortable and the ride was bumpy (bouncy) over bad roads. Also note that you can forget the "at least 12 kmpl" with the Innova.

Infact, you are demanding too much from an SUV in terms of FE. I get 12.5 kmpl in my Swift Petrol, you have to live with it. Expect upto 10 kmpl in city traffic and two or three kmpl more on long drives.
Once Again thank you Ice_wise.Ford Ecosport,Chevy Captiva,Ford Endavour,Tata Sumo Grande or mahindra Thar 4x2 they can be a considerable ?

@Adams:
Either raise your budget by a lac or be ready to spare a lac in maintenance. Very simple!

For 5 lac, you will get the Innova with at least 1 lac kilometres on odo or maybe even more. You can try your luck with Scorpio or maybe Ertiga.

BTW how come thar 4*2 can be a comfy five seater? [:)]

bhvm

Honoured Member

your budget is very less for a new vehicle .
if you're in the market for a used vehicle, try the duster. you said you wanted a 5 dealer right? you'll get better ride quality. you may also hunt for a used terrano, ertiga or ecosport.

if you are up for more 'full size' SUV, do consider the safari storme or scorpio.

you also seem to have a serious confusion considering the segments and prices of vehicles. did you put Mahindra thar and Tata sumo in the same line as captiva and endeavour? no can do.

Again a Horror question raises.Please Help !

Once Again thank you Ice_wise.Ford Ecosport,Chevy Captiva,Ford Endavour,Tata Sumo Grande or mahindra Thar 4x2 they can be a considerable ?
Ford Ecosport can be cosidered, but it is not comfortable at the rear seat (stiff suspension). Captiva is discontinued and spares, maintenance would be costly as it was originally at 20 Lac + car. Endeavour is good but will let you down on FE part, plus you will get only a badly abused piece these days as it would be many years old, and being a diesel will definitely be over 1 Lac kms on the odo. Sumo grande is, again, I feel too basic or bland for personal use. Thar is not at all comfortable for daily use, you will think whether the owner took you for a ride saying that the Thar had a suspension! Plus the steering, ergonomics and high speed dynamics are nothing in front of other softroaders.

I don't think you will get a Duster or Terrano for 5 Lacs. Here they are available from around 7 Lacs. Though if you can find one, it would be great - good FE (in the likes of 15 kmpl), good diesel engine, 5 seater, excellent ride quality and suspension setup. Overall a very successful car.

5 Lakhs and u dont get a duster or ecosport or terrano he might get a sumo or old scorpio or Captiva. And Ecosport is not a proper 5 seater too cramped.

Actually, this price bracket is best for sedans. Previous bracket was best for Hatchbacks. And for SUV, you will need 7-8 lakhs. Am I right?

I would recommend not to buy vehicles that have crossed 60k, be it any segment or engine. Otherwise you'll have to speed huge amount on parts replacement and servicing.

If your confused about which segment is best for me, then go to some new or used car dealer shops, have a look around and get a TD then you'll understand which is best. [:)]

At theses price 4.5L to 5 L, you will get only Safari(2006-2010),Scorpio(2006-2008),Bolero(2008-11),which all would have run from 50,000 to 1 lac kilometers and multiple owners. If you have a good eye on finding issues and take time for searching,you will get a good bargain.Used car dealers are very cleaver and need to be careful.Wherever you go for searching,go with a good mechanic.

Thread Starter #11
your budget is very less for a new vehicle .
if you're in the market for a used vehicle, try the duster. you said you wanted a 5 dealer right? you'll get better ride quality. you may also hunt for a used terrano, ertiga or ecosport.

if you are up for more 'full size' SUV, do consider the safari storme or scorpio.

you also seem to have a serious confusion considering the segments and prices of vehicles. did you put Mahindra thar and Tata sumo in the same line as captiva and endeavour? no can do.
Dear Bhvm,Thank you for your valuable reply.I want a pre owned suv.can you say the FE of Duster and Terrano ?

Ford Ecosport can be cosidered, but it is not comfortable at the rear seat (stiff suspension). Captiva is discontinued and spares, maintenance would be costly as it was originally at 20 Lac + car. Endeavour is good but will let you down on FE part, plus you will get only a badly abused piece these days as it would be many years old, and being a diesel will definitely be over 1 Lac kms on the odo. Sumo grande is, again, I feel too basic or bland for personal use. Thar is not at all comfortable for daily use, you will think whether the owner took you for a ride saying that the Thar had a suspension! Plus the steering, ergonomics and high speed dynamics are nothing in front of other softroaders.

I don't think you will get a Duster or Terrano for 5 Lacs. Here they are available from around 7 Lacs. Though if you can find one, it would be great - good FE (in the likes of 15 kmpl), good diesel engine, 5 seater, excellent ride quality and suspension setup. Overall a very successful car.
Thank you for your considerations.Overall Ecosport,Duster,Terrano is best in class...

Last edited by a moderator:

bhvm

Honoured Member
adams,
fe of duster shall be 14-16 kmpl depending on driving. and as generalmax said, carrying a good mechanic is essential. it would be also better if you could stretch your budget to 8l

then you may hav a used vehicle in very good condition or a new base model mini suv like tuv 300.

Dear All,
I am searching reliable and economical used SUV , budget will be 10L maximum,
I hope Ford Endeavour i will get in the budget, my question is 2010 to 2012 model 50K running with good condition, how much i need to pay?

Or any other options in my budget?

bhvm

Honoured Member
Kristy,
Endevour in 10L is a lofty goal. Be wary of Badly Maintained or Accidental specimens. Ideal budget for Endy is 13~14L.

For 10L, I suggest you look for a sparingly used XUV W8 or Safari Storme 4x4 in the years 13 or 14.

Top Bottom