Advice Needed with Pre-Owned Sedan. Help Me!!

Thread Starter #1
Hello Friends and Brothers,i am Adams from Southern Tamilnadu.
First of all i thank the founder of TAI for giving this opportunity.

Here is my questions,

1) I want to buy a pre owned sedan under 2.5 lakhs.Budget may upgraded 50k for the vehicle condition.

My needs are,
* A sedan with sucessful engine itself.(like swift)
* A less maintenance engine.
* A better fuel efficiency.
* Boot and ledroom must be good.
* Please no one suggest me a Maruti Esteem[frustration](I want a sporty car like Sonata or Accord)

2) Don't consider the above Needs.Just i want to know which is the Longest and widest sedan in India.(not Bmw,Volvo,like that)

Hello Friends and Brothers,i am Adams from Southern Tamilnadu.
First of all i thank the founder of TAI for giving this opportunity.

Here is my questions,

1) I want to buy a pre owned sedan under 2.5 lakhs.Budget may upgraded 50k for the vehicle condition.

My needs are,
* A sedan with sucessful engine itself.(like swift)
* A less maintenance engine.
* A better fuel efficiency.
* Boot and ledroom must be good.
* Please no one suggest me a Maruti Esteem[frustration](I want a sporty car like Sonata or Accord)

2) Don't consider the above Needs.Just i want to know which is the Longest and widest sedan in India.(not Bmw,Volvo,like that)
Hello Adams.

1) According to your budget, these cars fit the bill -

Honda City (2nd Generation Dolphin shape)
Maruti Dzire (Old shape)
Maruti SX4
Ford Fiesta
Toyota Corolla
Honda Accord V6
Hyundai Sonata
Skoda Laura
Honda Civic
Chevrolet Optra
Hyundai Verna (1st Gen)
Mitsubishi Cedia
Skoda Octavia
Fiat Linea

You won't like Accent or Lancer or Ikon much, though both are available in your budget, if you don't like the Esteem. Skoda cars should be avoided as they are not the best when it comes to maintenance and spare parts cost a bomb. If you want good reliability and reasonable spare parts, backed by a wide service network, go for Maruti or Toyota cars. Dzire, City, Fiesta, Corolla, Verna and Linea were good cars. You can strike off the Accord and Sonata and even Civic if you want less maintenance costs as these cars were 12-20 Lac cars and spare parts cost according to this fact only. Accord, Corolla and Optra would offer good boot space and legroom. Bigger cars will deliver maximum upto 15 kmpl due to the additional weight and bigger engine. Go for Dzire, Verna, Honda City as you will get a newer and lesser run model in that price.

2) It would be the Accord, Sonata, Superb and Teana.

Please confirm which fuel type you are looking for - Petrol Diesel or P+CNG.

EDIT - Other members can correct me if I missed some cars or said something wrong. [:)]

Last edited:
Hello Adams,

Welcome to the family of TAI.

Your requirements look similar to mine when I was finding for used sedans 2 years back and I end up buying Honda City 3rd Gen for 5.25 lakhs. My budget started at 4.5L.

However, at your budget its hard to find a big sedan or those available will be high on odo or bad condition.

I have come across used big cars like Corolla, Accord, Sonata, Civic, Optra, Octavia, Laura but a big NO for these vehicles. First of all, they are heavy vehicles which are only best on highways and then comes high maintenance if not, spare parts. Last but not the least, these old cars have low ground clearance so difficult to drive in Indian roads. Newer cars or made for Indian roads have better ground clearance. i.e Civic 2012

As of diesel cars, you may find Dzire, Fiesta, Verna, Linea, Manza but most of cars will have 1 lakhs KMs odo which is again a big NO.

As of petrol cars, you will also find same cars as said above but they are best known for diesel only. Petrol only cars are Honda City ZX (2nd gen aka Dolphin Shape. 3rd gen is better but would cost out of your budget), Chevrolet Aveo and Suzuki SX4.

I guess your running is less so last three cars I suggested are better go. Or if your running is high, let us know.

p.s Accent, Lancer, Ikon, Cedia are good for those who are looking for modifying but parts availability would be difficult.

Thanks...
Best Regards

Edit: Regarding longest and widest sedan in India. I feel its Optra because the rear seat is like sofa lol But by length it might be Linea.

Last edited:
@Adams:
Search for a low run Honda City V-Tec (2002-03 one will be awesome and later ones are also good though) and you will have a wide grin on your face without befriending the fuel pump guys as well as the A.S.S. accountant.

Try out this gem:
olx.in/i2/item/honda-city-vtec-type-2-ID10sCFj.html#:d6723799e9

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
Hello Adams.

1) According to your budget, these cars fit the bill -

Honda City (2nd Generation Dolphin shape)
Maruti Dzire (Old shape)
Maruti SX4
Ford Fiesta
Toyota Corolla
Honda Accord V6
Hyundai Sonata
Skoda Laura
Honda Civic
Chevrolet Optra
Hyundai Verna (1st Gen)
Mitsubishi Cedia
Skoda Octavia
Fiat Linea

You won't like Accent or Lancer or Ikon much, though both are available in your budget, if you don't like the Esteem. Skoda cars should be avoided as they are not the best when it comes to maintenance and spare parts cost a bomb. If you want good reliability and reasonable spare parts, backed by a wide service network, go for Maruti or Toyota cars. Dzire, City, Fiesta, Corolla, Verna and Linea were good cars. You can strike off the Accord and Sonata and even Civic if you want less maintenance costs as these cars were 12-20 Lac cars and spare parts cost according to this fact only. Accord, Corolla and Optra would offer good boot space and legroom. Bigger cars will deliver maximum upto 15 kmpl due to the additional weight and bigger engine. Go for Dzire, Verna, Honda City as you will get a newer and lesser run model in that price.

2) It would be the Accord, Sonata, Superb and Teana.

Please confirm which fuel type you are looking for - Petrol Diesel or P+CNG.

EDIT - Other members can correct me if I missed some cars or said something wrong. [:)]
Dear Ice_Wise,first of all i thank you to for your reply.I have a another question about Maruti Swift or Dzire.The two cars having a same amount of leg room ? From my view Swift rear door is smaller than Dzire.It affect knee room ?

Hello Adams,

Welcome to the family of TAI.

Your requirements look similar to mine when I was finding for used sedans 2 years back and I end up buying Honda City 3rd Gen for 5.25 lakhs. My budget started at 4.5L.

However, at your budget its hard to find a big sedan or those available will be high on odo or bad condition.

I have come across used big cars like Corolla, Accord, Sonata, Civic, Optra, Octavia, Laura but a big NO for these vehicles. First of all, they are heavy vehicles which are only best on highways and then comes high maintenance if not, spare parts. Last but not the least, these old cars have low ground clearance so difficult to drive in Indian roads. Newer cars or made for Indian roads have better ground clearance. i.e Civic 2012

As of diesel cars, you may find Dzire, Fiesta, Verna, Linea, Manza but most of cars will have 1 lakhs KMs odo which is again a big NO.

As of petrol cars, you will also find same cars as said above but they are best known for diesel only. Petrol only cars are Honda City ZX (2nd gen aka Dolphin Shape. 3rd gen is better but would cost out of your budget), Chevrolet Aveo and Suzuki SX4.

I guess your running is less so last three cars I suggested are better go. Or if your running is high, let us know.

p.s Accent, Lancer, Ikon, Cedia are good for those who are looking for modifying but parts availability would be difficult.

Thanks...
Best Regards

Edit: Regarding longest and widest sedan in India. I feel its Optra because the rear seat is like sofa lol But by length it might be Linea.
Dear Cracing,Thank you for your Golden reply.Now i have a big doubt about my road conditions.Verna,dzire,fiesta are having a good GC ? incase carrying a 5 Adults the cars can give space for the 5 ?

Dear Ice_Wise,first of all i thank you to for your reply.I have a another question about Maruti Swift or Dzire.The two cars having a same amount of leg room ? From my view Swift rear door is smaller than Dzire.It affect knee room ?
If yu are talking about the old shape Swift and Dzire - both have the same wheel base of 2390 mm. The New Swift and New Dzire has 2430 mm wheelbase but the new Dzire has a better suspension (tuned for comfort), reclined backseat and softer seat compound than the new Swift which makes it more comfortable at the back. I doubt you will find the new generations in your budget, so out of the old gen - stick to old Dzire.

Dear Cracing,Thank you for your Golden reply.Now i have a big doubt about my road conditions.Verna,dzire,fiesta are having a good GC ? incase carrying a 5 Adults the cars can give space for the 5 ?
Old models of Verna, Dzire, Fiesta, Honda City, Aveo (irrespective to segment or engine) have ok ground clearance but you have to be careful on unscientific bumps. They can carry 5 Adults but I think for long journey, it won't be comfortable.

If you are more concerned about GC then Manza and SX4 are those to go for. Pity I couldn't find these when I was looking and now I'm suffering GC issues in my 3rd gen Honda City.

SX4 is the best if you are ok with its low FE but its not bad either. You'll get 8-10 in city and under 15 on highways. Its very spacious inside, big boot, powerful 1.6L engine and low maintenance cost.

I'm sure you can find one around your budget because it has low resale values.

Thread Starter #8
If yu are talking about the old shape Swift and Dzire - both have the same wheel base of 2390 mm. The New Swift and New Dzire has 2430 mm wheelbase but the new Dzire has a better suspension (tuned for comfort), reclined backseat and softer seat compound than the new Swift which makes it more comfortable at the back. I doubt you will find the new generations in your budget, so out of the old gen - stick to old Dzire.
Dear Ice_wise,Maruti dzire old shape price under my budget ?

Old models of Verna, Dzire, Fiesta, Honda City, Aveo (irrespective to segment or engine) have ok ground clearance but you have to be careful on unscientific bumps. They can carry 5 Adults but I think for long journey, it won't be comfortable.

If you are more concerned about GC then Manza and SX4 are those to go for. Pity I couldn't find these when I was looking and now I'm suffering GC issues in my 3rd gen Honda City.

SX4 is the best if you are ok with its low FE but its not bad either. You'll get 8-10 in city and under 15 on highways. Its very spacious inside, big boot, powerful 1.6L engine and low maintenance cost.

I'm sure you can find one around your budget because it has low resale values.
Dear Cracing,SX4 performs and comfort is too good.But FE hurts.Old verna also return that same FE with SX4 ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Ice_wise,Maruti dzire old shape price under my budget ?
Yes. You can find the old model Dzire under your budget. A clean and fit 2009 Vxi variant would be under your budget of 3 Lacs easily.

And, Dzire petrol would also give slightly better mileage than the SX4 Petrol (around 3-4 kmpl more). Comparing them, SX4 is overall a better car because of the fantastic 1.6L, really comfortable seats and high GC. I think you should get the SX4 for upto 3 Lac (for a well maintained piece) and end your confusion about the SUV. It will provide you 80% of an SUV at 60% of the price. It fits your requirement really well - Space for 5 adults, comfortable ride, high GC, low maintenance and wide stance (and long body). Only the mileage will be a bit less, upto 10 kmpl in city drives but you'll love that engine I can bet.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
Yes. You can find the old model Dzire under your budget. A clean and fit 2009 Vxi variant would be under your budget of 3 Lacs easily.

And, Dzire petrol would also give slightly better mileage than the SX4 Petrol (around 3-4 kmpl more). Comparing them, SX4 is overall a better car because of the fantastic 1.6L, really comfortable seats and high GC. I think you should get the SX4 for upto 3 Lac (for a well maintained piece) and end your confusion about the SUV. It will provide you 80% of an SUV at 60% of the price. It fits your requirement really well - Space for 5 adults, comfortable ride, high GC, low maintenance and wide stance (and long body). Only the mileage will be a bit less, upto 10 kmpl in city drives but you'll love that engine I can bet.
Is the SX4 comes with Petrol engine ? Can i convert into LPG ?

Dear Cracing,SX4 performs and comfort is too good.But FE hurts.Old verna also return that same FE with SX4 ?
If I remember correctly, the old verna is also 1.6L so you could expect same mileage as SX4. But actually mileage depends upon how well the car is maintained by previous owner.

I have seen and have test driven several old Verna but didn't liked it much. SX4 felt far better.

Yes and you can also get LPG kit but not recommended.

In 2013 Maruti launched facelift model of SX4 which had diesel variant (1.3L) but still it didn't sell well. You can find diesel SX4 but budget should be 5L.

Last edited:
CRACING has already answered your question. I remember there was a SX4 Green variant also, which came with factory fitted CNG kit. You can look for that.

What is the actual budget that you're thinking of? If it is not yet fixed, please open a seperate thread listing all your requirements. Then maybe we can give some constructive suggestions. This way the thread is going nowhere. Started from Sonata, to Accord, to SUVs in between, to Dzire and now SX4 - from 2.5 Lac to 5 Lac to 7 Lac and then back to 3 Lac. I am really sorry if I sound harsh.

Last edited:

Top Bottom