Hyundai Elite i20 vs Maruti Baleno (Petrol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Hai friends, myself nithin, new to TAI I have booked a elite i20 asta petrol (without AVN) now I had visited Nexa to have look on Baleno, looks nice in alpha variant ,I didn't like the interiors. quality is not as good as in i20, I couldn't test drive Baleno as I was busy so I request you to tell me which one is better in terms of ride quality,handling, power,maintanance, looks and resale value.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
I had visited Nexa to have look on Baleno, looks nice in alpha variant ,I didn't like the interiors. quality is not as good as in i20, I couldn't test drive Baleno as I was busy so I request you to tell me which one is better in terms of ride quality,handling, power,maintanance, looks and resale value.
Nitin, it is very much evident that plush and refined interiors are the Forte of Hyundai. Someone who has sat/owns/driven an i20 will not like interiors of other cars of segment so easily. However, if compared to interiors of MSIL hatchbacks, then, interiors of Baleno are very nicely/neatly done. In terms of driving, I found Petrol Baleno a nice one i.e Peppy and silent. Maintenance wise, Hyundai has higher labor charges where as Maruti is comparatively lower. Looks on other hand are purely subjective so decision on looks should be your own and as far as resale is concerned, people buy a pre-owned Maruti Suzuki with closed eyes.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Between these two i would pick the i20 any day, but on overall comparison for the three premium hatches

Looks: (Subjective)
Ride Quality: Jazz
Handling: Jazz
Power: Baleno (Thanks to lower weight)
Maintainance : Not sure as Baleno is from NEXA
Resale Value: Baleno
Features and Interior Quality: i20 hands down

@Nithin Maurya.
Welcome to TAI.

If you're going for petrol version look no further then Baleno. It is the better of the 2, if you're keen on i20, get the Diesel version instead. Diesel i20 is far better then petrol one. I was in a similar situation but ended up buying Diesel i20 earlier this year.

Baleno is a new car and it is spacious, feature packed then i20.

Ride quality (front especially) and power delivery is better in the Baleno. Elite i20 is pretty sedate in the petrol avatar and I would recommend the Baleno for the fast and refined petrol engine. Looks, personally I think i20 is better. Or rather I would say -

Exterior - i20
Interior - i20
Quality - i20
Ride - Baleno
Lower maintenance - Baleno
Better resale - Baleno
Fun to drive - Baleno
Exclusivity - Baleno (heck every other premium hatchback is an Elite i20 these days)
Competitive Pricing (as per features available) - Baleno

Test drove both the Elite i20 and Baleno (Petrol) today. i20 seems to be too smooth but the driving is very relaxed and its not peppy like the Baleno[confused]. Love the way Baleno drives, the engine is too eager. The car seems to be better at lower rpm than my Swift Petrol (2015) [clap]. But the interiors seems familiar with the Swift.. (a bit better i guess)... but overall the interiors of i20 felt much better :agree:

Test drove both the Elite i20 and Baleno (Petrol) today. i20 seems to be too smooth but the driving is very relaxed and its not peppy like the Baleno[confused]. Love the way Baleno drives, the engine is too eager. The car seems to be better at lower rpm than my Swift Petrol (2015) [clap].
Yes, Baleno engine is more sprightlier at low-mid RPMs as compared to petrol i20. i20 needs to be worked to gain speed while the Baleno itself is too eager to gain speed. The reason it is peppier than the Swift is because of the lower kerb weight of the car, which gives better power to weight ratio.

Although the Comparsion is good but it isn't accurate & conclusive

For example look at the quoted part below

However the Baleno's lower variants lose out on features and equipment to the i20, since Hyundai is offering more features even on the lower variants, apart from it being a more comfortable car.
So according to Zigwheels Hyundai has more features compared to Baleno but in reality it's completely opposite. The Base versions of i20 (Era & Magna) don't get Climate Control, Rear Parking Sensors, Height Adjustable rear headrests, 60:40 Split seats etc which are all there in Baleno Delta version & above. Add to that the all important safety features ABS & Airbags which even aren't available as option in i20. And the mid versions get only Driver Airbag. So all in all the report is somewhat misleading IMO.

There are more i20 petrol's then diesel's here in my city, I think it wont be any different there in Mysore. I can't understand why people buy the petrol version when it is neither powerful, responsive, efficient, which all the Baleno does so well. I think you should leave out the i20 & look at the Baleno. Apart from lack of Nexa Dealership, I don't think you have any problems regarding Baleno.

Last edited:
according to Zigwheels Hyundai has more features compared to Baleno but in reality it's completely opposite. The Base versions of i20 (Era & Magna) don't get Climate Control, Rear Parking Sensors, Height Adjustable rear headrests, 60:40 Split seats etc which are all there in Baleno Delta version & above. Add to that the all important safety features ABS & Airbags which even aren't available as option in i20. And the mid versions get only Driver Airbag. So all in all the report is somewhat misleading IMO.

There are more i20 petrol's then diesel's here in my city, I think it wont be any different there in Mysore. I can't understand why people buy the petrol version when it is neither powerful, responsive, efficient, which all the Baleno does so well. I think you should leave out the i20 & look at the Baleno. Apart from lack of Nexa Dealership, I don't think you have any problems regarding Baleno.
Exactly. +1.

Lower variants of Baleno are much better equipped and are really VFM for some one looking for a first car, or without the need for luxury features limited to the Alpha and Zeta. The base i20 looks bland from the outside (door handles, ORVMs, small wheels) as well as inside. Leave alone the fact that the petrol motor isn't good, this is India and most people favour what looks good and forget the basic part of the car - engine. The fact that Airbags are standard on Baleno is a big plus point for it. The Elite i20 is sort of similar to the Swift (early 2014 one), where lower variants get literally nothing and one has to go for the top variant (for safety) or mid variant (for basic features). This IMO is a poor strategy as people with budgets for lower variants tend to back out as they don't offer substantial kit which one can get in a top model of a lower segment car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom