Buying My First Car: Confused Between Wagon-R and Baleno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Hello All.
I'm Ajay from Hyderabad, India. I'm planning to buy a new car (my first car).

Actually, started the search 2 months back for an used car within 2.5 Lakhs rupees. Since I'm new to cars, Couldn't finalize any used car.
I came to know about a program that my company offers, i.e. company leased vehicle through a third party vendor. Then I moved to a new car search, with a monthly EMI of around 20000 INR for a period of 3 years. (These EMIs will be deducted from my taxable income and zero down payment. That's why I decided to go for a new car.)
I almost finalized on WagonR VXI (for a total on road price of around 5L). Then my friends threw me the option of New Baleno. I went to 3 Nexa showrooms in Hyderabad. I liked the looks and security features that are offered by Baleno Delta version. Today morning I learnt that WagonR is launched with AMT and optional airbags and ABS. I'm confused a lot now.

What are we looking for in the car:
Good leg room and comfortable ingress and egress. Good boot space.
Good road view from driver cabin (since every one in my family is new to driving. we all are above 5'7" height)
Me, My wife and my brother-in-law may be driving the car
My wife wants music system as a must. (If I take Baleno Sigma, the base version, and opt for a good music system from after market, will it void the warranty?)
My brother-in-law suggests safety features a must (ABS and airbags).
My usage will be minimal. Daily 25-30 KM within Hyderabad. All family members live in Hyderabad. So very rare outstation travels (though I don't rule out possibility of once or twice a year, a 400KM one way kind of journeys). How important are ABS and airbags for within Hyderabad city driving for daily commutation between office and home. (I can avoid the long drives and look for other transport options for long journeys)
Good suspension for uneven and bumpy roads. I couldn't get the test drives on bumpy roads for both the vehicles. But I will have to travel on damaged roads for about 8KM for my daily transaport.
Good AC.
Low maintenance.
Comfortable/Decent room for 5 in the car.

I get WagonR VXI for a monthly EMI of 15500 for 3 years (remember zero down payment) and 13500 for 4 years tenure. I do not have quotation for Baleno yet. My relationship manager is on leave till 12th. So I got two more days to think through this. As per my calculations, If I go for Baleno Delta version, whose on road price is around 7L, it will cost me 20000 EMI per month for a period of 4 years and may be around 23000 for 3 years tenure.

What caused me confusion:
Definitely the increase in EMI from 15500 to 23000.
Do I need ABS and Airbags for city driving. Since we are new drivers, none of us may think driving beyond 70KMPH.
If I want airbags and ABS, can I go for Baleno basic version and get music system as an accessory? Does Suzuki provide that? Or I need to go after market. Will that void the warranty?
Friends always suggest 'go to latest model'.
In Some forums, people are doubting the structural strength of Baleno. What can be the effect of normal dents/minor accidents on this new Baleno?
People are complaining about the under thigh support of rear seat in Baleno. What kind of effect will it create for rear seat passengers?
Baleno waiting period may be upto 45 days. My relationship manager is promising under 45 days. But i doubt. And I need car early. WagonR ready to be delivered.

[frustration] Lot of questions for a newbie to answer and get clarity before buying a new car. :please::help: Please help me...

Am I open for new options? May be yes, as long as that fits into the above needs and do not cause further confusion or stretch my EMI limits.

Re: Planning my first car. Confused between WagonR, WagonR-AMT, Baleno

Hi Ajay, welcome to TAI, like all sane and first time buyers, go for the tried & tested WagonR, now with the AMT option it becomes sweeter. As all of you will be first time buyers do not try any new models.

I too was in a dilemma last year, and bought A WR VXI, and am a happy family.

regards

vinod

Thread Starter #3

Hi Vinod.
Thank you for warm welcome. And quick reply [thumbsup]

Any thoughts on
"Do I need ABS and Airbags for city driving. Since we are new drivers, none of us may think driving beyond 70KMPH."
(I need to convince my wife and brother-in-law [;)])

Thanks
Ajay

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Any thoughts on
"Do I need ABS and Airbags for city driving. Since we are new drivers, none of us may think driving beyond 70KMPH."
(I need to convince my wife and brother-in-law )
Welcome to The Automotive India, Ajay. I am sure you know importance of safety in a vehicle whether you drive in city or on highways. Buddy, one should never compromise on safety and at what ever speed you or anyone shall drive, added safety does give a driver the much needed peace of mind. Surely please convince your family to go for a car with all safety features in place. Also, for a new driver to drive at 70 km/h is quite a higher one because attaining a speed is easy but matching your reflexes to control the car at that speed is much more important.

Regards

Akash

If you have the money then go for baleno or any other car which has 2 airbags and abs. Dont compromise on safety. Wagonr is aerodynamically not really good car(stable car).

Go for baleno...premium hatchback and me too i am preferring baleno as it has 16inch alloys easily skips potholes,better mileage,good for indian roads,low maintainence and yeah suzuki vehicles always have good resale value in comparision to other vehicles...

Planning my first car. Confused between WagonR, WagonR-AMT, Baleno

Baleno Sigma it should be. WagonR might be good for visibility, city drivability and economically but it won't be able to seat 5 comfortably. The cabin is very cramped and elbow room is a premium.

Baleno Delta has all basic things like ABS and Airbags, and you'll need to add a basic 20k rupee music system to it, which won't void warranty if factory wiring are not cut anywhere. Don't worry, if you supervise the install yourself, go for Sigma and add another 20k for music system.

But as a first car, Baleno might be "too big" for you. Might be. You can also look at Etios Liva G - cheap, reliable, ABS, Airbags, spacious, decent city performance.

Thread Starter #8

Welcome to The Automotive India, Ajay. I am sure you know importance of safety in a vehicle whether you drive in city or on highways. Buddy, one should never compromise on safety and at what ever speed you or anyone shall drive, added safety does give a driver the much needed peace of mind.
Thank you Akash for warm welcome and insisting the importance of safety features in a car.
My wife read your message and ruled out WagonR (for space concerns and lack of safety features). And the cost of WagonR AMT with optional airbags and ABS is almost same as Baleno Sigma + Music system (if not more). So WagonR is almost kind of ruled out.

If you have the money then go for baleno or any other car which has 2 airbags and abs. Dont compromise on safety. Wagonr is aerodynamically not really good car(stable car).
Thank you gaurang for reiterating importance of safety. Now, My wife and me decided not to compromise on safety features.

Go for baleno...premium hatchback and me too i am preferring baleno as it has 16inch alloys easily skips potholes,better mileage,good for indian roads,low maintainence and yeah suzuki vehicles always have good resale value in comparision to other vehicles...
Thank you kingra. It looks you are also from Hyderabad. Are you also looking for car for daily commutation? If yes, which routes you primarily travel? 16" alloys come in top models only. I'm not stretching to that much. I will restrict myself to either sigma or delta version. I think 15" wheels are also good enough to skip potholes.

Baleno Sigma it should be. WagonR might be good for visibility, city drivability and economically but it won't be able to seat 5 comfortably. The cabin is very cramped and elbow room is a premium.
go for Sigma and add another 20k for music system.

... You can also look at Etios Liva G - cheap, reliable, ABS, Airbags, spacious, decent city performance.
Thank you ice_wise. My wife also felt the same. She traveled by wagonR few times with her colleagues and she experienced congestion in back seat for 3 normal built people. Yesterday she had a look at Baleno and felt the room is too good.
Once my relationship manager is back in two days I will get quotation for both sigma and delta variants and decide on the finances. Meanwhile I will have a look at Etios Liva G as well. Thank you for the new suggestion. What about the maintenance cost of Etios Liva G? I heard Toyota maintenance is on little bit high side and FE is not that good. Can any Toyota car owners as well comment on this?

Thanks
Ajay

16" alloys come in top models only. I'm not stretching to that much. I will restrict myself to either sigma or delta version. I think 15" wheels are also good enough to skip potholes.

Thank you ice_wise. My wife also felt the same. She traveled by wagonR few times with her colleagues and she experienced congestion in back seat for 3 normal built people. Yesterday she had a look at Baleno and felt the room is too good.

Once my relationship manager is back in two days I will get quotation for both sigma and delta variants and decide on the finances. Meanwhile I will have a look at Etios Liva G as well. Thank you for the new suggestion. What about the maintenance cost of Etios Liva G? I heard Toyota maintenance is on little bit high side and FE is not that good. Can any Toyota car owners as well comment on this?

Thanks
Ajay
16" alloys are standard on the Alpha and Zeta. Lower 2 variants get 15" wheels. Both are same at absorbing potholes as overall diameter is same in both the sizes, 16" will be slightly harsher on ride quality over potholes and 15" will be more absorbing.

Baleno's back seat space is good but do check the ride comfort at the back seat during a TD as I have heard about poor backseat cushioning in some reviews.

Toyota has unbeatable reliability, and even though it might have slightly higher repair costs it is worth the advantages they offer. I have an Etios and the service costs have been similar to what I had seen at Maruti (for Dzire), only slightly higher. Toyota petrol engine doesn't have performance (extreme) and the FE is also a bit less. But it offers great in-city drivability and the power and torque is usable even in daily drives, which is more important than having all the usable power at the top end. Drive and decide for yourself. Personally Baleno is a better car of the two but you might check the price but if Liva turns out to be cheaper than Baleno (I think Liva G has integrated music system), you may go with it.

My vote goes to Baleno @ajay.

Mind you I have Wagon R and I am happily using it since 10 years. It has never disappointed me in 10 years and still going strong. I am looking to change it now and interested in new ford figo diesel. As your monthly traveling will be less than 1K, no point in going for diesel.

When I bought Wagon R, Swift was just launched. I was in same position as you are in today. I was ready to stretch my budget to get swift but there was waiting period in red color which I was interested in and then I decided to go with wagon r. A few months later, when red swift was all where to see, I wished I should have waited to get this car. Excitement to own a newly launched model is a different experience altogether.

You will thank all who are suggesting you Baleno whey your friends will ask key to have a look at your new beauty. Moreover, Baleno is much better car than Wagon R. In fact we are discussing cars in different category and Baleno is one category up. If petrol go for Baleno and in case diesel go for Ford figo. In your case petrol is suggested.

Yeah buddy i am from hyderabad too but my drives are not less than 250kms at a time as i am serving rurals of andhra as an emergency and critical care physician. my route would be from hyderabad to macherla and towards guntur approx 250kms drive. I am fanatic about VW new vento but later after looking at suzukis new premium hatchback i changed my mind to buy baleno. even though my monthly drive would not exceed 1200kms i prefer diesel ddis engine as we own one of those and still running smoother since 2009 with 1,23,000mileage on it (dzire). it lacks in comfort level but good for indian cities and roads..

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #13
Thank you All for being so friendly and active on this thread and for helping me.
Baleno's back seat space is good but do check the ride comfort at the back seat during a TD as I have heard about poor backseat cushioning in some reviews.
Toyota petrol engine doesn't have performance (extreme) and the FE is also a bit less. But it offers great in-city drivability and the power and torque is usable even in daily drives, which is more important than having all the usable power at the top end. Drive and decide for yourself. Personally Baleno is a better car of the two but you might check the price but if Liva turns out to be cheaper than Baleno (I think Liva G has integrated music system), you may go with it.
I downloaded the brochure of Liva from toyota site. It seems Audio system is available in V variant only. And ABS with EBD as well. But no rear parking sensors, nor stereo mounted audio controls, wheels are 14" for the V variant. Liva V variant is 24000 cheaper compared to Delta variant of Baleno. I think the comforts that steering mounted controls, reverse parking sensors bring are worth the worth going for delta instead of Liva. Added the MS FE. Please comment your opinion.
I would say why worry too much as Wagon R also is coming with ABS,Airbags and AMT? Check with the dealership and see the difference.If you are a city drive person also ABS and Airbags can be life savers.Just because,you are not the only driver on the road.There are many insane drivers too.
Maruti Wagon R and Stingray launched with AMT, priced Rs 4.76 Lakh and Rs 5.31 Lakh, Maruti Suzuki Car News | CarTrade.com
Completely agree with you. Just cannot control external forces...
WagonR vxi comes with optional ABS and driver airbag. But dealers are asking possible 2 month waiting for them to order and get the vehicle. Got quotation from a dealer that WagonR AMT with ABS and airbags on road cost is almost 6.3L in Hyderabad. So Baleno seems to be better option.
My vote goes to Baleno @ajay.

Mind you I have Wagon R and I am happily using it since 10 years. It has never disappointed me in 10 years and still going strong. I am looking to change it now and interested in new ford figo diesel. As your monthly traveling will be less than 1K, no point in going for diesel.

When I bought Wagon R, Swift was just launched. I was in same position as you are in today. I was ready to stretch my budget to get swift but there was waiting period in red color which I was interested in and then I decided to go with wagon r. A few months later, when red swift was all where to see, I wished I should have waited to get this car. Excitement to own a newly launched model is a different experience altogether.

You will thank all who are suggesting you Baleno whey your friends will ask key to have a look at your new beauty. Moreover, Baleno is much better car than Wagon R. In fact we are discussing cars in different category and Baleno is one category up. If petrol go for Baleno and in case diesel go for Ford figo. In your case petrol is suggested.
Yeah. Some ego satisfaction of driving latest vehicle is also driving my senses:-). Definitely I go with petrol only.
Yeah buddy i am from hyderabad too but my drives are not less than 250kms at a time as i am serving rurals of andhra as an emergency and critical care physician. my route would be from hyderabad to macherla and towards guntur approx 250kms drive. I am fanatic about VW new vento but later after looking at suzukis new premium hatchback i changed my mind to buy baleno. even though my monthly drive would not exceed 1200kms i prefer diesel ddis engine as we own one of those and still running smoother since 2009 with 1,23,000mileage on it (dzire). it lacks in comfort level but good for indian cities and roads..
Good to know you Doctor. So did you test drive the diesel version of Baleno? What could be the waiting period?

Attachments

6.3L ?[surprise] Who will buy Wagon R for that? That would be for AMT. I think the ABS and Airbags equipped one will cost around 5.2Lacs on road.Yes, the waiting period is horrible.I waited for 3 months and then bought Celerio. Ajay,somehow I too feel you must go for the base variant of Baleno,so that after 3 years you have a new model car than an out dated boxy vehicle.

Thread Starter #15
Yes, 6.3L is for WagonR AMT with ABS + airbags. I'm thinking about Baleno base model (sigma) or the next variant (delta). Cost difference could be around 80K. But I will get inbuilt stereo, rear power windows, Rear wiper & defogger, reverse parking sensors, full wheel caps, auto AC, 60:40 split rear seat etc. that may be of use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom