Looking Out for an SUV in 15L: Inputs Needed

Thread Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I am not sure if this is the right thread to post about my query. Please give me your valuable suggestions.

MODS - Please delete this query if this is not the right place.

I am currently in the market for replacing our Maruti Omni E - 8 seater(2010 model). My Dad loves to drive powerful vehicles and this purchase is going to be a gift for him. We are a family of 7(joint family) and the usage of the car will be minimal except for highway runs. Our Omni has clocked 18k kms till date which is very less considering how petrol heads in this forum munch miles away in their cars. We usually do long distance trips to holy places. I am sure they would start going to places much frequently after this purchase.I am in the market for a 7/8 seater vehicle. The vehicle needs to be butch SUV and powerful. The test drives haven't started yet as it's taking a lot of time to convince my Dad. I have a budget of 15L(can stretch to 18L max)The options I have finalized being:

1)Mahindra Scorpio S10(2WD) - 8FF
2)Mahindra XUV500 W8(FWD)
3)Tata Hexa(not launched yet)
4)Ford Endeavour 2.2MT(hope the price is within my budget)

I have not considered the following because:
1)Safari Storme VX - not a 7 seater, dream vehicle, hope they launch 7 seater FF.
2)Toyota Innova - underpowered , not at all VFM, Innova 2016 price will be reaching the roof.
3)Mahindra Xylo H9 - did not like the boxy design, taxi image in Hyd, body roll
4)Renault Lodgy - did not like the design , ASS very poor
5)Ertiga & Mobilio are not proper 7 seaters

Please let me know the best time to buy the vehicle(I am thinking in the month of March for deals).

Thanks,
Rohit

With a budget of 15 lac, you can strike off the Endeavour pretty much. I would be shocked if it is available for 15 lacs. I would sell my 4 month old Duster in that case[surprise].
Unless you wait for the Hexa, your best bet is the XUV with 7 seats and no luggage, OR a Scorpio with an uncomfortable ride quality (vis-a-vis XUV).
If you want "some " luggage space, good ride quality and do not mind lower power, then Innova is the car for you. Only thing is , the current model is on its way out.
The Lodgy is the cheapest alternative and is also a good car. My friend owns one, and he is completely satisfied with its performance on highway runs.
But neither the Innova nor Lodgy are "butch" SUVs. You may also want to wait for the Honda BR-V.
On a different note, you can have a quality Used Fortuner, although it may not have great ride quality.

Thread Starter #3
With a budget of 15 lac, you can strike off the Endeavour pretty much. I would be shocked if it is available for 15 lacs. I would sell my 4 month old Duster in that case[surprise].
Unless you wait for the Hexa, your best bet is the XUV with 7 seats and no luggage, OR a Scorpio with an uncomfortable ride quality (vis-a-vis XUV).
If you want "some " luggage space, good ride quality and do not mind lower power, then Innova is the car for you. Only thing is , the current model is on its way out.
The Lodgy is the cheapest alternative and is also a good car. My friend owns one, and he is completely satisfied with its performance on highway runs.
But neither the Innova nor Lodgy are "butch" SUVs. You may also want to wait for the Honda BR-V.
On a different note, you can have a quality Used Fortuner, although it may not have great ride quality.
Hi @acechip,

Thank you so much for your reply. I will wait for Hexa to be launched(Feb 2016 is what they are speculating). The reason I was considering Endeavor is I really loved it's looks from pictures posted in forums online. I was hoping they might launch a very base version with 18L on road price. My Dad does not have liking for used cars. I know Toyota vehicles last very long but he would be the primary driver. I personally like the older gen Fortuner for its looks but again it's way out of my budget and pre-owned doesn't make sense for my Dad. Innova 2016 is going to be priced way up and it would be out of my budget. I really hope Hexa is going to be a game changer as we do require the boot space.

If you are ready to wait then Hexa would be worthy car to fit your requirements. Coming to the quality of the Tata cars, they have improved with leaps and bounds. The ASS is also pretty improved and can expect a decent service from them.

To me there are 2 options
XUV or Hexa.

Thread Starter #5
If you are ready to wait then Hexa would be worthy car to fit your requirements. Coming to the quality of the Tata cars, they have improved with leaps and bounds. The ASS is also pretty improved and can expect a decent service from them.

To me there are 2 options
XUV or Hexa.
Hi Vikcy,

Thank you so much for your response. I know you are a proud owner of Safari Storme, do they have any facelift planned wherein they might actually give 3rd row FF bench seats??? I personally like Storme but need to consider my requirements as well. I searched online for any impending facelifts but haven't found anything.

Hi Vikcy,

Thank you so much for your response. I know you are a proud owner of Safari Storme, do they have any facelift planned wherein they might actually give 3rd row FF bench seats??? I personally like Storme but need to consider my requirements as well. I searched online for any impending facelifts but haven't found anything.
That is a remote possiblity. Primarily because the car has pretty high ground clearance. so as it in getting in the car is like stepping on a big step. It is difficult for the elders to get in my car. so having a third row and getting in and out of 3 row will be pretty challenging. the other cars (MUVs) Aria, Innova and XUV for that matter are not that high over ground and ingress is easy.

So even if Storme gets a front facing seat. it will be a challenge to get in and get out for normal adults forget the oldies.

For me it was tie between Storme and Aria, my wife, our TAI Gurrala74 help me take a final decision and it was storme. am in complete love of my possession. No major issues till date. Yes do have minor niggles and squeaks but not big enough to loose peace of mind.

regards to facelift, there is storme in offing with higher power (157hbp and 400nm Torque with 6 speed gears +1 Reverse) and with pretty updated interiors. However the million dollar question is when. I think Tata are more focussed on the Hexa which would be somewhere around Feb 2016 if not earlier.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
That is a remote possiblity. Primarily because the car has pretty high ground clearance. so as it in getting in the car is like stepping on a big step. It is difficult for the elders to get in my car. so having a third row and getting in and out of 3 row will be pretty challenging. the other cars (MUVs) Aria, Innova and XUV for that matter are not that high over ground and ingress is easy.

So even if Storme gets a front facing seat. it will be a challenge to get in and get out for normal adults forget the oldies.

For me it was tie between Storme and Aria, my wife, our TAI Gurrala74 help me take a final decision and it was storme. am in complete love of my possession. No major issues till date. Yes do have minor niggles and squeaks but not big enough to loose peace of mind.

regards to facelift, there is storme in offing with higher power (157hbp and 400nm Torque with 6 speed gears +1 Reverse) and with pretty updated interiors. However the million dollar question is when. I think Tata are more focussed on the Hexa which would be somewhere around Feb 2016 if not earlier.
Hi Vicky,

I was thinking the same, for now they will concentrate on launching Hexa and later on they might give Storme another facelift with the new engine. So you consider Scorpio & Storme as true blue SUV's and XUV, Aria as MUV's?? Why would you say that?

Hi Vicky,

I was thinking the same, for now they will concentrate on launching Hexa and later on they might give Storme another facelift with the new engine. So you consider Scorpio & Storme as true blue SUV's and XUV, Aria as MUV's?? Why would you say that?
Yes I would say that. the ride characteristics of Storme and Scropio have stiffer suspension to absorb the jerks during off roadings, Thus on the plain tarmac they are bit hard as compared to the likes of soft roaders the XUV and Aria and Innovas.

The MUVs have much softer suspension to give a sedan like drive comfort but bit harder than sedans to allow minor off roadings. The GC(ground clearance) is also on the lower side.

Thread Starter #9
Yes I would say that. the ride characteristics of Storme and Scropio have stiffer suspension to absorb the jerks during off roadings, Thus on the plain tarmac they are bit hard as compared to the likes of soft roaders the XUV and Aria and Innovas.

The MUVs have much softer suspension to give a sedan like drive comfort but bit harder than sedans to allow minor off roadings. The GC(ground clearance) is also on the lower side.
Hi Vicky,

Everything makes sense just that the GC of Scorpio is lesser than that of XUV & Aria(both have 200mm GC whereas Scorpio has 180mm on paper but actual GC being 193mm). Scorpio again has 200-210mm GC.

What is your take on a used Toyota Fortuner which fits my budget??

Thanks,
Rohit

Hi Vicky,

What is your take on a used Toyota Fortuner which fits my budget??

Thanks,
Rohit
Well fortuner I personally have not driven the car. But have heard that ride quality of fortuner is like Boat type. And Storme has a way better ride than fortuner.

So my take would be not worth to take a chance for a used car. Personally I am not fond of used cars as very few times in india the car is sold just to get a new upgraded model. Majority of the times the car is abused to the max and then sold off as it starts giving problem. If you are getting the fortuner for a known source I would like you to Test drive it once be sure that it is trouble free and then go for it.

Only plus in fortuner is the killer looks. Other wise I may not look into putting that kind of money in it. XUV and Storme are equally capable vehicles and am sure that these vehicles will not dissappoint you.

Since you belong to a joint family so there are many chance & occasion where you all 7 member may travel at once for long and short trips. For short trip it you may compromise on comfort but for longer one you must have.

When it comes to full utilization 7 seat, you must think of luggage space and the third row comfort, coz that's the major part where these MPV's or SUV's are compared.

I have driven most of the vehicles you mentioned above except Ford's Endeavor.

Only ARIA is better in term of third row comfort, along with suspension quality [excluding Endeavor]

All the vehicle except LODGY/MOBILIO feels like you are driving a diesel car where you will feel the engine vibration on gear nob.

XUV500 is not good at third row comfort, but it performs very well. The 2.2L engine really outcomes when we talk about highways.

Fortuner/Endeavor are expensive amongst all, but the market leader in this segment at this price.

My Suggestion:

If you are looking for 7 seater commuter and not for sporty like performance then choose ARIA/HEXA or LODGY or MOBILIO.

The best thing about ARIA/HEXA is, it comes with all safety features that a Fortuner.
[17" alloy wheel, 4WD, ESP, 6 Airbag]

For the enthusiast XUV500 or Scorpio is the best. If you are more keen towards this then don't miss the 4WD feature in it.

But, if you are looking for both then Fortuner may serve better.

Thread Starter #12
Since you belong to a joint family so there are many chance & occasion where you all 7 member may travel at once for long and short trips. For short trip it you may compromise on comfort but for longer one you must have.

When it comes to full utilization 7 seat, you must think of luggage space and the third row comfort, coz that's the major part where these MPV's or SUV's are compared.

I have driven most of the vehicles you mentioned above except Ford's Endeavor.

Only ARIA is better in term of third row comfort, along with suspension quality [excluding Endeavor]

All the vehicle except LODGY/MOBILIO feels like you are driving a diesel car where you will feel the engine vibration on gear nob.

XUV500 is not good at third row comfort, but it performs very well. The 2.2L engine really outcomes when we talk about highways.

Fortuner/Endeavor are expensive amongst all, but the market leader in this segment at this price.

My Suggestion:

If you are looking for 7 seater commuter and not for sporty like performance then choose ARIA/HEXA or LODGY or MOBILIO.

The best thing about ARIA/HEXA is, it comes with all safety features that a Fortuner.
[17" alloy wheel, 4WD, ESP, 6 Airbag]

For the enthusiast XUV500 or Scorpio is the best. If you are more keen towards this then don't miss the 4WD feature in it.

But, if you are looking for both then Fortuner may serve better.
Hi Amit,

Thank you so much for your reply. With regards to last row, we have people of short built who will be sitting there(5 feet) so XUV will not pose any problems there as they have already checked out the seating comfort at last row. Scorpio was little cramped in second & third row. I am eagerly waiting for the launch of Hexa so that I can check it out ASAP and then make a decision on my purchase. My father doesn't do off roading so I guess Used Fortuner is out of the list. It will only be used for Highway runs and in city driving. I wanted to buy the Fortuner for its street presence but I have been advised against it.

Thanks,
Rohit

Thread Starter #14
Have you considered used Pajero sport? I heard good reviews about it, so far.
Hi Karthick,

How is PS in terms of highway driving for long journeys. Also if you could please let me know the third row comfort for long drives. I'm not sure if used vehicles would be better in terms of quality & ASS of Mistibushi is not great. Please let me know.

Thanks,
Rohit

Hi Karthick,

How is PS in terms of highway driving for long journeys. Also if you could please let me know the third row comfort for long drives. I'm not sure if used vehicles would be better in terms of quality & ASS of Mistibushi is not great. Please let me know.

Thanks,
Rohit
Sorry Rohit, I don't have much info about the service quality as I don't own one. But from the reviews & ownership report, the ride quality seems to be great (better than Fortuner) and also handles decently which means highway driving should be comfortable. It can also do some offroading too. Since the ASS coverage is not wide spread, I would suggest you to look at recent ones in the used market with clean history if you are ok with the used ones.

Personally, I haven't seen a SUV with third row(adults) comfortable for long drives as most of them have tall flooring which results in knee pain or narrow shoulder width.

Top Bottom