Is Hyundai i20 Active a Worthy Alternative To Honda City?

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

My 10yrs+ Santro Xing XG is demanding a replacement. Considering my eager for good looks, better ICE (In-Car Entertainment), space constraint (a little bit, not decisive), I came up with following sheet.

I like i20 Active for its looks and plethora of features including 7" cool AVN but paying 10 lacs for a hatchback when I can get City V in the similar range is perplexing to me. Whereas City VX(o) is 12.5 lacs but has a poor 6.2" ICE (and there are reports of dashboard cluttered with wires in it). Unless Baleno is a killer, I want to finalize one of this and book ASAP. Please suggest!

Please share your thoughts on my confusion. Adding Santro is not to amuse anyone :) I listed it to get a comparative thought against 10yrs of Santro driving.
NOTE: My yearly drive is <16k and I don't like noise and prefer pickup. Hence all petrol options.

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
Re: Is i20Active a worthy alternative for City

Hello deepak,
Your research is solid.

Hyundai is putting i20 as premium segment and hence it's quite a bit overpriced.
You better consider other <10 lac players such as Tata Zest, Ford ecosport or even Mahindra TUV 300.

Thread Starter #3

Thanks bhvm..
I've a budget of upto 13L so pricing is not key constraint. Its just I want to spend on the right mix. i20 active too many features (but engine displacement equivalent to an i10) v/s City (with high power) but not so good in feature.

I just checked Ciaz RS which seems cooler and considerable. However, currently I am most stuck between i20 and City.

Can anyone confirm that VX(o) ICE has wires in dashboard and is of poor quality?

thanks

bhvm

Honoured Member

13L Is a nice stretch.

Ciaz is hard to beat in that segment. Its much better than i20 with regards to luggage and seating. Also don't forget to take a look at duster which is getting good discounts these days. You may also stretch up to creta.

@Deepak:
Leave i20 Active, even Creta petrol also isn't an alternative to City i-VTEC.

Since your preferences are:
1) Silence
2) Pick up

My recommendation won't be the i20 by any stretch of imagination. That engine is puny for the car and it feels so. It always feels underpowered and the performance of City or even Ciaz are at an entirely different level.

My recommendations:
1) Maruti Suzuki Ciaz ZXi
2) Honda City V i-VTEC ( what an irony, I am forced to recommend a MS before a Honda)
3) VW Polo GT TSi [evil]
4) VW Vento TSi DSG
5) Ford Figo/Aspire 1.5 DCT

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
@TSIVipul

Thanks a lot. I was waiting for someone to mention that about i20 active [lol]

I'll go with either of Ciaz or City. But it surprised me too that Ciaz is ahead of City. On papers its engine is sub par compared to City. Still you recommend it over city? Will it give up the desired speed and pickup (which City does)

BTW, Ciaz new variant RS looks cool.

^^Sirji Ciaz is a super VFM car which offers a lot. The only thing that goes against Ciaz is the badge on the nose IMO.

For any regular joe who has to drive at regular speeds on the roads of NCR, the Ciaz is definitely a better vehicle. Gone are the days when I was in love with Honda City. The City is no more the same City which used to delight the enthusiasts, it's more of a mass market model now and that is where Ciaz scores better.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Deepak, My suggestion would be BALENO.

* Petrol Engine has refined NVH

* More Car for the money.

* Nice Interiors and gadgets.

* Safety Features from Base Model itself

* Well executed product from Suzuki.

* Excellent Seating in front and Rear

* For past 2 days I have been observing this only:smile:

Regards

Akash

Did you check the Abarth Punto evo or the Abarth Avventura? When you are getting 140-145bhp in your budget then why look around 100 bhp cars! It has the best brakes, handling and power in its segment and Punto is one of the safest car! The abarth versions comes with default abs and airbags too. For sheer driving pleasure the Abarth Punto should be your choice and if you want more ground clearance then you always have the Abarth Avventura which will blow the i20 active in every possible way!

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12
I'll be visiting Nexa soon for Baleno.. The only hitch is even if I pay ~8L on road for Alpha version, I'd miss the rear vent ACs which even i10 Grand and all above cars have. Nevertheless, Baleno has hit the Nail with plenty of features.

Abarth Punto - I don't want to pay 10L for a hatchback which I'm not much confident of as a company, doesn't have good features (like touchscreen etc. at this price). No doubt, it has excellent engine but Delhi/NCR roads will not help exploit that.

Only Petrol Cars as I drive <15,000 kms a year while diesel has payback at least if you drive 25,000kms per year.

Can anyone having Honda City VX(o) confirm that it has dashboard full of wires (unlike any other variant of city)?

Why not a normal i20 Asta? But since you have mentioned petrol, take the Elite out of that list if you want pick up because that thing is sluggish. I would say go for the Baleno. Decent interior, good engine and good ICE with apple carplay.

Thread Starter #14
I did a test drive of i20 and Baleno today.

Baleno felt better than i20 in every aspect (Aesthetics, Dashboard, Music Player, Features, Overall Looks, Price etc. ) EXCEPT 2 things
1. Pickup of i20 was noticeably better than Baleno (It had that Brio effect where it's not gonna give you a boost as you press pedal hard)
2. No Rear AC Vent (even in top model)

I also checked CIAZ RS Model which is good and after going through all features I understand why TSIVipul rated it above City as a VFM. It is indeed except for that badge of Maruti (But dynamics are changing actually) Baleno is an example.

Well for Petrol i don't think you can beat the City. Baleno well check the build quality of the car most of the people i know who waited for Baleno are having second thoughts after seeing the build quality except a few who just went ahead just because it is a Maruti. Looks wise it was very hard to differentiate from Swift nobody gave it a second look on the roads here in Hyderabad. Ciaz is also good competitor to City. Ultimately its your money try all options before you finalize on one.

Last edited:

Top Bottom