Help Needed in Fulfilling My Dream: Buying a New Car For Rs.14 Lakh

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys,
In the process of Buying a new car many question arises in My Mind. As my Budget is around 14 lacs but i can stretch it by 1 lac for a better choice. Mainly I considering Mahindra New Age XUV5OO W6 which is slighty over my budget now due to Price hike.
1. Can anyone suggest me any better Option if available Like Scorpio or Safari Storme or Duster?

2. What is the level of Service/Maintenance Cost as well as Parts cost of XUV5OO?

3. Which is Best Insaurance Policy that give full repayment for denting and painting also? For a reason, a small scratch and other payings/expense for repairing it on a higher side is not affordable for Pockets.

4. Kindly share expericence about warranty covers and After sales Services of Mahindra?

5. Would Mahindra XUV5OO feel any difficulty in normal off roading due to lack of chassis?

I shall be obliged with your responses [:D]
Thanks in advance.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hello XVD,
Nice you have a shiny new thread.

As your Name suggests, mahindra XUV is one of the best vehicles in 12~16L Budget. I suggest you get a thorough test drive and read all the onwersnip threads in this forum.

1> Safari storme is also a good option. However features are a bit less and Many people are not happy with tata Service, However they're Improving each day.
A Top end New-gen Scorpio could be good option compared to XUV w6. But you loose 20HP and 6th gear. Scorpio is a tough vehicle and has a stance of its own. Duster is a small 5 seater and does not belong to this segment.

3> Warranty is top notch. I got clutch replaced once and Infotainment replaced twice. They don't ask much, simply give new set. I also used the roadside assistance which arrived in 1.5 hours when clutch failed. After sales service is good and parts are reasonably priced.

Most importantly, Maintainance of suspension, Engine, Body is very less. No one will say my thunderbolt will turn 3 year old this year.

5> XUV is a soft roader. It takes Big potholes and speedbreaker very well, However I do not recommend anything serious. Take a good look at safari Storme 4x4 if you want off-roading with proper low range Gearbox and lockable diffs.

Thread Starter #3
Hi bhvm,
I don't want hard off-roading, i Just want normal city and Village driving on bad roads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #6
Dear bhvm,
I again took a test drive of XUV500 W10. about the experience of this TD i can only say i am fully satisfied with the Comfort, Drivability and Power of this car. I drove this car in short lanes and city traffic with ease without facing any problem. Also I drove on some bad and Bouncy roads. My Heart just halt on this beast.[clap]The Sales Guy have good communication skills and very well behaved person.

Last edited:
In the process of Buying a new car many question arises in My Mind. As my Budget is around 14 lacs but i can stretch it by 1 lac for a better choice. Mainly I considering Mahindra New Age XUV5OO W6 which is slighty over my budget now due to Price hike.
If you can fit the XUV in your budget then get one. If you are buying on EMIs then the difference will be hardly 2k a month but your heart will be satisfied. Believe me, anything else you buy and you will be cursing yourself whenever you see an XUV on the road.

1. Can anyone suggest me any better Option if available Like Scorpio or Safari Storme or Duster?
Scorpio S10 any day. It's a wonderful machine; I have munched thousands of kilometers in one and on some of the super challenging terrains too, this beast never refuses take the challenge. I am very impressed from this specific Mahindra and in the 6 seat version you get awesome comfort levels too.

2. What is the level of Service/Maintenance Cost as well as Parts cost of XUV5OO?
8-20k depending on the type of service and parts replaced if any. When I owned one, my lowest bill was 8.3k (Expect 4-4.5k for free services though) and highest was 11k but some friends reported to have paid up to 20-22k at the time of parts replacement, if any.

3. Which is Best Insaurance Policy that give full repayment for denting and painting also? For a reason, a small scratch and other payings/expense for repairing it on a higher side is not affordable for Pockets.
Check with Iffco-Tokio, they are these days offering unlimited number of claims under zero dep too. Else try out Bajaj Allianz etc but you will get hardly 3 claims under zero dep/full cover.

4. Kindly share expericence about warranty covers and After sales Services of Mahindra?
A.S.S. is good and comparable to Toyota at times (That's a huge statement but their A.S.S. is actually good). Spare parts are mostly available and hence warranty replacements etc are not a big issue at all.

5. Would Mahindra XUV5OO feel any difficulty in normal off roading due to lack of chassis?
Definitely not. XUV takes the bad roads quite well and the underpinnings as well as mechanicals are quite rugged.

Thanks in advance.
Welcome in advance :biggrin:

What XUV does best is 60-120 in third and 80-140 in fourth gear BTW, it's awesome in those gears and at those speeds :stupid:

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
That's Great XVD!
For the Time being, I suggest you also have the TD of following Vehicles just in case-
Safari Storme
Scorpio New gen.
Toyota Fortuner
Ford Endevour
Duster
Creta

Last 2 are just for fun.
I am sure XUV will still be on top and high in your hearts.
Mr.Vipul has already given you most valuable advice.

Last edited:
for me its XUV> Storme > Scropio.

Duster, Creta, Terrano are all wannabe SUVs. XUV is a softroader but mighty good on Highways. Storme and Scropio can be taken in for bit of offroading and great on highways.
Storme with fantastic road presence. Only flipside on storme is lack of feature but they have harman kardon system which is great and there is no need for any system upgrade.

So for you it wouldbe between XUV and Storme. If you can wait for bit, may be Hexa would be yet another worthy addition to your confusion [;)]

Thread Starter #10
Check with Iffco-Tokio, they are these days offering unlimited number of claims under zero dep too.
May I know something related to the cashless Centers of Iffco-Tokio in Rajasthan, India.
For the Time being, I suggest you also have the TD of following Vehicles just in case-
Safari Storme
Scorpio New gen.
Toyota Fortuner
Ford Endevour
Duster
Creta
Yeah, I am also thinking for TD of Safari, Scorpio and off-course Fortuner also(Just double of my Budget) [;)]

Buy a scorpio if you need low end torque it provides and the peppier engine for going over the bad roads without any fuss. And high commanding view.

Buy a Safari Storme if you want more roomier cabin, most comfortable ride with the independent suspension, relaxed driving and more commanding view than the XUV 5oo (personal view) as you sit much higher than in Xuv 5oo. Much torquier than Xuv 5oo so it has more power on tap whenever needed in urgent overtaking.

Buy a XUV 5oo, if you want to cruise more relaxedly on the highway and want a car like comfort with commanding view and more features than the competitors.

But then still TD the cars in different conditions to choose the preferable car for you.

Thread Starter #13
So for you it wouldbe between XUV and Storme. If you can wait for bit, may be Hexa would be yet another worthy addition to your confusion
I personally dont like the outdated looks of strome. This car is just a ministers car from 90's [:)] No sir i dont want any more confusions here. Go for XUV ASAP[:)]
Saarji go online and register your interest, they will search you themselves
Haha sure sir i will search in my office time (free time) [;)]
But then still TD the cars in different conditions to choose the preferable car for you.
@nmm mithra, I saw today new gen scorpio and IT didn't impressed me( exception the front tall look). Interiors are not up to mark for a 15 lac SUV. Comfort, looks, space everything not worthy in comparision of XUV500.
Strome - As i say i dont like its design or looks but still i am waiting for get a TD.

@nmm mithra, I saw today new gen scorpio and IT didn't impressed me( exception the front tall look). Interiors are not up to mark for a 15 lac SUV.
But the present scorpio is much better than the previous scorpio in terms of features and the interiors as well as exteriors are much better than the previous gen scorpio. According to me the previous gen scorpio looked more muscular than the present scorpio in terms of exterior look and the present gen scorpio looks more appealing and mahindra has tried their level best to make it look like family vehicle and they have added many bits/parts from the XUV 5oo to make it look like a family vehicle same as the XUV 5oo.

for me its XUV> Storme > Scropio.

Duster, Creta, Terrano are all wannabe SUVs. XUV is a softroader but mighty good on Highways. Storme and Scropio can be taken in for bit of offroading and great on highways.
Storme with fantastic road presence. Only flipside on storme is lack of feature but they have harman kardon system which is great and there is no need for any system upgrade.

So for you it wouldbe between XUV and Storme. If you can wait for bit, may be Hexa would be yet another worthy addition to your confusion [;)]
Duster and Terrano have the best ride quality amongst all the wannebe( Duster, Terrano, Creta) and just-about SUVs (XUV) and true SUVs (Storme, Scorpio).

IF you dont want a 7 seater, do not dismiss the Duster from your list. If you want good offroading, Duster has a very capable AWD. For soft roading, Duster 110 2WD is good enough. It is a simple, and mechanically rugged package. And has all essential features. Not counting silly ones like auto-folding ORVMs and stop-start buttons.
I have a 2WD Duster, and am fully satisfied with its City, Highway and mild offroad performance. I did look at the XUV seriously, but decided I didnt want a 7 seater, and the XUV ride/handling is definitely not as good as the Duster. XUV may be a heavier, torquier beast, but what is the use of that torque on highways beyond 120 kph ? This category of cars is , by design, unsafe at higher speeds. So for those who say they want to drive a fully loaded XUV (with passengers) to outrace a Duster or Innova or a Honda City/Linea on expressways at 160 kph, I wish them luck.

Top Bottom