Buying Second Hand Car For Rs.5 Lakhs. Urgent. Please Help

Thread Starter #1
hi guys,

My friend is looking out for an urgent second hand car. Basic requirements being

it should be a petrol sedan
max budget of 4.5 to 5 lakhs
airbags will be a big plus
Should be in the period of 2010 to 2015. (2010 - 2012. getting a sedan which is manufactured after 2012 under a budget of 5 will take some searching)

The cars that are being considered are fiesta, city and vento.

Kindly suggest the options available. And please be kind enough to PM the number if any of your contacts are loking to sell their vehicle. URGENT !!!

Re: Buying second hand for 5 Lakhs. Urgent. Please help

Hi!!
You should be able to find a well maintained 2010-11 city within your budget !! Fiesta is also good but hard to find a petrol in used market nowadays (not so sure about it in your city). Vento petrol will be available for 5 lakhs but I would not suggest it as it is sluggish compared to its diesel counterpart (we all know!!). Do check out the authorised dealers like True Value, Mahindra First Choice etc for peace of mind as they offer additional warranty on preowned cars!!

Thread Starter #3

Hi!!
You should be able to find a well maintained 2010-11 city within your budget !! Fiesta is also good but hard to find a petrol in used market nowadays (not so sure about it in your city). Vento petrol will be available for 5 lakhs but I would not suggest it as it is sluggish compared to its diesel counterpart (we all know!!). Do check out the authorised dealers like True Value, Mahindra First Choice etc for peace of mind as they offer additional warranty on preowned cars!!
Hi Sarath,

That was exactly my point regarding the vento. I saw a 2010 Civic for 4 lakhs on quikr cars btw. Did the civic come with safety in all the trims?

Yes Ajay ! Civic was offered with ABS and Airbags on both the trims . BTW How much kms clocked ? You should know that spares must be high despite being a Honda as it is a premium offering !! Who will be driving this car may I ask? Because it often bottoms out with full load and in KA it must be considered . Your location says it all right !?[:)]

Thread Starter #5

Yes Ajay ! Civic was offered with ABS and Airbags on both the trims . BTW How much kms clocked ? You should know that spares must be high despite being a Honda as it is a premium offering !! Who will be driving this car may I ask? Because it often bottoms out with full load and in KA it must be considered . Your location says it all right !?[:)]
He says 50k kms. It will be driven by a guy who is in his late 20's. Regarding the drawback of the roads in the state where i stay. Yes thats one big point to be considered. But then what other options do you have?
Vento is a no. Fiesta petrol is a no. Previous Gen City faces the same issue. Any other suggestions?

Re: Buying second hand car for 5 Lakhs. Urgent. Please help

Oh yeah !! But the facelifted 3rd gen city had certain improvements over the GC issue !! I was told by my SA during a discussion !! Etios P is also a better option , has ample torque to drive in city ,refined engine and has generous space . Let me know your thoughts ! Regarding that civic, ask for complete service record and check with any dealer for history .At 50k , I assume it had exhausted its half life you ll be facing repairs and replacements very soon as you clock towards 60k major service. Mileage is another big question for civic [cry].

Thread Starter #8

Oh yeah !! But the facelifted 3rd gen city had certain improvements over the GC issue !! I was told by my SA during a discussion !! Etios P is also a better option , has ample torque to drive in city ,refined engine and has generous space . Let me know your thoughts ! Regarding that civic, ask for complete service record and check with any dealer for history .At 50k , I assume it had exhausted its half life you ll be facing repairs and replacements very soon as you clock towards 60k major service. Mileage is another big question for civic [cry].
Oh yeah. Etios. Thanks for that option [:)]
Will check with him about the etios. It's like the guy isn't that much into driving feel and engine freak. Considering this nature of his may be he will have to compromise on the luxury feel that city/civic/corolla/fiesta come with. You see the integrated headrest and such cost cutting stuff.Anyways will check with him once. About the mileage now, IMO if you are looking for a second hand petrol sedan mileage is like a jackpot. It may give the best figures among its competitors or the worst. Depends on how it was driven by the previous person behind the steering wheel.

Hi Ajay,

Few suggestions from my side. You can try Corolla, SX4 and even Manza. I am sure you will get good deals for sure.
Corolla wasn't on my head either. Haven't driven the corolla yet. So can't really comment on its dynamics and handling. But yeah, this might interest him. Corolla is counted.
But maintainance compared to city/civic?

Last edited:

IMO very difficult to find a corolla less than 5 years for your budget. Other two sedans were not so popular in their petrol guise !! Let us know once you started "looking". Yes Etios suffers in interior design which is subjective !!

Finding a well maintained Corolla petrol is not a big deal for a 5 year old car with 40-50k kms on odo at an asking price of 5-7 lac(diesel has insane resale value though). Civic has been discontinued since quite long and this is where Corolla gives the advantage.

BTW a used Honda City i-vtec is still the best bet IMO.

Ajay, why not try the Swift Dzire. The old one which was a proper sedan. You'll get it easily and spares aren't an issue either. You can get one for around 5 lakhs or under, and it has very good petrol engine the 1.2 K series one which IMO is the best after Honda's iVTEC. It is not as spacious as City, Vento but is comfortable. And it is reliable too. So my choice 2009/10/11 Swift Dzire ZXI.

Thread Starter #12

IMO very difficult to find a corolla less than 5 years for your budget. Other two sedans were not so popular in their petrol guise !! Let us know once you started "looking". Yes Etios suffers in interior design which is subjective !!
Already started "looking" bro. Yes, I asked a couple of dealers here and only one corolla was available for 6.2. He made an offer of 5.8 max. Discussed about the etios but it was a no. Couldn't convince on the reliability aspect of the toyotas.

Finding a well maintained Corolla petrol is not a big deal for a 5 year old car with 40-50k kms on odo at an asking price of 5-7 lac(diesel has insane resale value though). Civic has been discontinued since quite long and this is where Corolla gives the advantage.

BTW a used Honda City i-vtec is still the best bet IMO.
Yes sir. Currently looks like he is going your way. It would be either a city or a civic. 2012-2013 petrol city with ODO of 20000-35000 is available for 3.5 - 5 lakhs.

Ajay, why not try the Swift Dzire. The old one which was a proper sedan. You'll get it easily and spares aren't an issue either. You can get one for around 5 lakhs or under, and it has very good petrol engine the 1.2 K series one which IMO is the best after Honda's iVTEC. It is not as spacious as City, Vento but is comfortable. And it is reliable too. So my choice 2009/10/11 Swift Dzire ZXI.
He had asked me if cars like amaze and dzire fall in the sedan category. I said no. Thats when dzire was dropped. [evil]

Guys, any inputs on fiat linea? Does the petrol mill perform similar to the multijets ? When I was looking for a petrol car, I had td'ed the punto and it impressed me. Hence this query[:)]

Look out for the T-jet badge[:D]! Dont know the resale value for petrol lineas but there might be classics available(older not Tjet) for as low as 3 lakhs !!

If you really want a luxurious sedan with all the power punch and reliability then do not look further than civic. I purchased my second civic recently which is a 2010model 35k clocked.. vmt model in 5.5L. I zeroed on city, skoda laura, linea, vento and accord.

City and civic are similar techs with civic being the better since it does not matter whether you get a FE of 13 or 10 in city driving to me so I was bended towards civic in terms of city. Although vento and linea were out of question due to poor ASS and driving comfort with reliability. Skoda laura impressed me with the cost as we were getting laura of model 2013 in around 6lakhs and skoda had a comparable drive to civic with fewer gear shifts at low rpms which lacked in civic. I own a 2007 civic as well and can confidently say that civic engine are awesome with pure raw power and they last upto 3lakhs kms if driven properly. I bought my first civic at 27k kms and now its on 60k but still going strong.

Maintenance wise city and civic both are expensive but there is no need to go in for any maintenance except servicing which is around 13k for major and 7k for minor. Try the skoda laura and the civic and choose one. But do keep in mind that the resale cost of civic and laura are also low. City and dzire have the highest resale value. All the best. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom