My family owned a Tata Indica DLX 1999 model and we sold it in order to buy a new car. We started shopping .
Your Budget: may be around 7-7.5 lacs max. If its around 7 it will be good
> New or Used: New
> Your Location: Madurai, Tamil Nadu
> Top Five Priorities: 1.Comfort, 2.Safety and design, 3.Driveability and Luggage Space 3.Low Maintenance
> Monthly Running: May be weekend rides and occasional week days say max 200-300kms or may be below specified
> Type of Fuel: Petrol or Diesel
> For What Purpose: Regular Use and occasional long drives
> Seating Capacity: Maximum 5 Adults
> Type of Segment: Sedan, Good/premium hatchback
Our budget is 7-9 lakh . We prefer both variants , petrol or diesel .
The monthly average commutation is 150 KM, occasionally the long trip would be once in two months or in some occasions and such will cover 600 km per trip.
(Please Note: I am sorry for this lengthier post. But it includes my own car choosing experience , so I think others like me get benefited by it. )
Our valuations for the new car are
1) Must look stylish .
2) I need fog lamps .
3) A good amount of chrome .
4) Auto folding and internally electrically adjustable ORVMs
5) Front and rear wipers with multispeed option for front
1) Spacious front and rear seat. Rear seat must hold 3 normal sized persons without any squeeze.
2) The drivers seat must be comfortable. It must have driver seat height adjustment , Tilt steering ,steering mounted audio controls and easily accessible control buttons on the driver side dashboard.
3) I need Distance to Empty display and remaining fuel display. I like the gear shift warning .
4) I want all warning features such as seat belt warning , hand brake warning etc .
5) I want atleast 4 cup holders (2 in front and 2 in rear) . Want a considerable storage space in the cabin .
6) We need the Driver arm rest but it not available some models we saw .
7) The cooled glove box is would be an added advantages as it is available in Hyundai brands (Xcent and Elite i20) .
8) NVH (Noise,Vibration and Heat) levels must be low as far as possible
Riding ,handling and driving
1) The cars suspensions should good and it should know the Indian roads very well .
2) The steering should have good response and responsive atleast upto 120 kmph .
3) The Gears shifts must be easy and we want a good gear ratios
4) Should not feel turbo lag in driving
5) Must have excellent brakes. ABS
are important .
1) Must have ABS
2) 2 airbags
3) engine immobilizer , perimeter alarm etc
4) I want maximum safety features
General points :
1) There shall not be waiting for more than 2 weeks for delivery.
2) Good after - sales service and spare parts availability .
I have first short listed :
1) Fiat Punto
- rejected due to low reputation for fiat and worst resale value.We not test drived but we liked it.
2) Tata Zest
- feature rich for money given . But rejected due to noisy AC noise , poor interiors finish and make us to suspect the longevity of the fixtures as it may generate rattling.
3) Hyundai Elite i20:
The seating was not felt comfortable for us in test drive and little bit
4) All new Ford Figo (2015 brand)
Feature rich . Suits our needs . When it crosses 120 kmph (Diesel) the driving did not inculcate confidence for pushing it further . Boot space is very low.Just ~ 240 liters . But selected for consideration. The dealer is not giving any assurance for the time required for delivery. No test drive given in petrol variant even after many requests.
5) Ford Figo Aspire
Seems to be excellent for our needs . Diesel variant is good even after in crossed 120 kmph and touched 150 kmph . The boot space of 357 litres is enough for us. But no test drive given in petrol variant , after many requests , they have promised to give a test drive in petrol on 12-oct-15 . Due to budgetary constraints , petrol variant alone could be purchased only if the car is as good as its diesel variant, of course except fuel efficiency when compared with diesel variant . But we shortlisted the diesel and petrol, since we liked the Car.
6 ) Honda Amaze :
The amaze is good car because the driving comfort is good. The rear legroom is good but the seat is not spacious and when 3 seated , it is very squeeze and makes to suffocate in long run . The looks are good but we shocked when we saw the AC controls are old styled with Manuel controls that rivals dont have.(All other cars have Digital AC controls ) .The car have less features when compared with its rivals. The cost to feature ratio is bad , that is some even basic features are available only in top varients thus the feature segmentation across the varients are bad and messy that makes the buyers to go to top varient . Thus the budget shoots up.
The car is costly when comparing with Aspire with respect to features both offer , that is the Distance to empty display , Digital Ac control , auto ac , auto climate control , wiper speed adjustment and some more not available in Amaze but available in Aspire.
The most stylish car in the segment .Feature rich. Me and my father starts to orbit around it due to it sporty and appealing looks. But , ho no , the rear seat head rests are very short that it stops at half of the neck. We cant rest the our head and our head recliend fully and touched the boot cover .In front the A-Pillers are very big that blocks side view very much that makes even street on the side not visible. Apart from the head rest and A-piller , Jazz is an "heaven rider" .... yes, of course .
We did not visit Volkswagon , Chevrolet , Mahindra ,Skoda , Maruthi Suzuki and
Ok. Now the final short list.
1) all new Ford Figo (2015 new brand)
2) Ford Figo Aspire
3) Honda Amaze
So , We are confused. So pls suggest a car from above list. If any good car in the "did not
visit"list or not listed here , you are welcome to suggest .