Considering Renault Duster (Petrol). Budget Rs.10 Lakh

Thread Starter #1
Hello All,

My first post here - looking for some advice and a soundboard. I would also appreciate if any current Petrol Duster owners can share their experience.

I've had my eye on Renault Duster for a while and I'm finally in a position to buy it for myself and family. Have taken roadtrips across our beautiful country in my dad's old Honda City Vtech which I currently drive. I have driven it from Delhi to the coast of Gujarat to Indo-China border up in the Himalayas and it has been an absolutely joy - great combination of smoothness and strength. Whilst road trips will now be limited to once or twice a year, ground clearance and good ride quality/handling is something I've been adamant about and therefore the Duster. It's drivable in the city and looks good too.

Creta is Korean and seems overpriced. I'm a female driver so Mahindra is simply not an option (solid cars but driving position/seating is extremely uncomfortable for women).

City: Delhi
Budget: 10 Lakhs (may stretch for great options)
Key Factors: Safety, Ground Clearance and should ride 5-10 years at least.
Monthly running: 850-950 Kms
Use: Regular; Delhi to Gurgaon office routine; 1-2 yearly roadtrips

Current Options:
1. Petrol RXE (8.5 Lakhs on road/after discount) - can live without rear power windows; will install aftermarket stereo and maybe PU seats.
2. Petrol RXL (9.85 Lakhs on road/after discount) - stereo and only driver airbag. They aren't offering passenger airbag as, you know, passenger/loved one's life is simply not worthy (sarcasm over). This was a big turn off.

Both petrol have ABS and I am not willing to pay 1.5 lakhs extra for a single airbag and stereo - and therefore looking at RXE Petrol. My colour (black) will take a month's delivery time.

The Twist: Showroom has a May 2015 manufactured Petrol RXL with interiors modified - black/orangish seats and dashboard (like the adventure edition) currently parked in the showroom and odometer already showed 180+ kms. Test drove for 5-6 kms and seemed smooth. When pressed, the story i was given was about the original customer's finance not coming through but I am suspicious (by nature). He's offering the car at 9.7 Lakhs. It's not my color preference but I can change my mind if i get a good deal.

I have driven the Petrol RXL - smooth ride and a light clutch. Only downside is 10-13 mileage which I can try live with. So ground clearance vs. mileage is the trade off. I know a petrol owner whose driven 8000 kms in one year and is pretty happy with his buy. My running on the other hand will be 11000+ kms yearly.

Other options considered:

-I had considered the 85ps diesel but the cheapest 85ps variant with ABS is 12.5 lakhs and simply not worth it since going from a 105ps honda vtech to an 85ps will anyway be a huge downgrade. My monthly running anyway doesn't warrant a diesel and calculations show in no way will I break-even paying 12 Lakhs for a diesel vs petrol at less than 10 lakhs.

-Seriously considered stretching budget for 110 ps - but that would mean hard clutch/turbo lag since I am mostly driving in the city. Test drove 110 rxz and while the ride was great, the interior plastic quality was simply not worth paying 15 Lakhs. Remember I am used to and spoiled by Honda's standards - which i may compromise on but only for a car which costs less than 8 Lakhs.

So question is
1. Is Petrol Duster worth it? It's a K4M, 4 cylinder 1.6 L engine.
2. What's a solid comparable sedan at the same price as Petrol RXE Duster - 8.5 Lakhs?
The only sedan I find decent is Toyota Corolla which is >16 lakhs and therefore a different story. It clearly hurts to have expensive taste.
3. Does it make sense to buy a 5 month old manufactured "new" car? What should the bargain be? Is there any way to ensure I'm not being cheated? Just simply PDI check list? Or is it a safer bet to place an order for an RXE of my colour and wait a month for delivery? I can wait happily but the dealer tried to tell me that for ordering/delivery next month he cant confirm the pricing and that will be my risk. I understand that monthly price change risk is standard across the industry? More importantly, the showroom manager said he cant guarantee the month of make if he orders a new car?!

Thanks for reading and any help. Happy driving!

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Re: Petrol Renault Duster/10 L Budget/5 month old new car?

Hii. I guess they are offering some 50k discounts on duster right? Please tell me if it's 50k cash discount or did they reduce insurance amount ?

I wouldn't buy duster right now because a facelift is due in october (read on various sites) just search google on duster facelift and see the car for yourself.

Even if you don't wish to wait for the facelift , the car you buy right now will be available at a minimum 1 lakh discount just so that they can clear the stock.

Did you take a td of the petrol version ? I found it good but the only thing that i didn't like was the lag.

You should buy a sedan if you commute on delhi gurgaon expressway. Low ground clearance won't be a concern for you since the roads are good.

I will recommend you the city , ciaz and the verna.

Try to find a diesel ciaz without the hybrid system. It will have some decent discounts going on.

Since you will drive on that route next recommendation would be the city because of the more planted ride than the verna.

You can also check verna because it will have some decent discounts going on. The ride is not that bad and the lighter steering will be a boon for your drive.

I'd recommend buying the car in the festive season , you will get better discounts.

Test drove 110 rxz and while the ride was great, the interior plastic quality was simply not worth paying 15 Lakhs. Remember I am used to and spoiled by Honda's standards - which i may compromise on but only for a car which costs less than 8 Lakhs.
Just a thought, instead of going for a brand new car why don't you buy a 2012-2013 model city ivtec top end, I have seen on oylx some really good well maintained cars for less than 8 lacs. You get alloys, both side air bags, ABS+EBD+BA, the ground clearance has been improved, you also get cruise control which is a boon for highway driving. The only thing that scrapes is the long mud flap, the size of which can be reduced. My dad has a 2012 city VMT and he gets a mileage of 22.5 on highways with A/C and 12 in the city.

I would say the best option for you would be City CVT. It is good to drive and the ground clearance has been corrected in the current version. It is comfortable in long journeys and automatic performs its job very well. I would not suggest you Duster petrol. Duster diesel will be a good deal. Also you can push the dealer for more discounts on duster as it is going to be replaced with the new upgrade.

Also you can go for used car route for the city where you will get good deals for 7-8 lakhs.

Welcome to TAI !! See, Duster is due for a facelift very soon and I suggest you to wait for it. IF you are happy with ongoing model (soon will become prefacelift) wait for a month and you will get heavy discounts just before the facelift . Regarding the May-15 model , I would not recommend it . Why!!
*180+ kms And 4 months in dealership - not a good sign!!
*Though the reason of finance could be possible, why should you buy a older car with a different color?!
*Ask why that car has 180 odo if it had been transported from nearby city !!

If you are okay with it , push the dealer really hard for the maximum deal only after doing a thorough PDI . Among sedans, Honda City really makes sense and Ciaz diesel as suggested would equally suit your requirements . How about Nissan Terrano? I guess im not confusing [:D]

Top Bottom