Need Help on Buying an SUV / CUV

Thread Starter #1
Dear Members

My name is Subhendu Sinha Chaudhuri , residing in Kolkata , West Bengal and of 45 years of age.
I am driving cars from 1999 Maruti 800.
Then I had Maruti Omni ---- To Swift ---- To Wagon R.
Presently I own a Wagon R from 2008. Its a car I love.
But after using the car for so long period of time , and slowly increasing family size , I am planning to get a new cross - over SUV or CUV. many would be surprised to hear that previously i didnot took any test drives to buy a car. I was so much a Maruti loyalist. But with the increasing price of petrol and increasing usage , I am planning for a disel car and get something different. I have got bored driving the same type of vehicle.
Buying Duster , Lodgy , Mobilio is not possible financially. I could have bought Ertiga , but then again Maruti.
I was looking for reviews and then i came across this very useful site and forum. I instantly took registration for getting help
I also love long driving and do with Wagon R. But due to low GC , i sometimes had to either offload passengers or could not go to some places.
So , I have narrowed down to 3 cars Ford Ecosport , Fiat Avventura and Hundai - Creta. Creta again has a waiting period of 6 - 7 months and the cost is little bit higher.
I need help to take decision

Re: Introduction and Help

What is your budget BTW?? First of all, Avventura is a crossover , Ecosport is compact SUV and Hyundai Creta a SUV. GC shouldn't be a problem on all these cars. I'd suggest Creta hands down as there is no competition!! It is that good !! Good presence , SUV-ish looks , refined diesel engine , nice dynamics , ample room and loads of features what more ?? I seriously suggest to reconsider your decision towards Creta. Any thoughts Welcome[:)]

As you are looking for a family vehicle, I would suggest lodgy. It is a comfortable family vehicle. Ecosport, creta, avventura all are 5 seaters. So if you want to ferry more than 5 people, you can very well go for lodgy. Else as Sarath suggested, creat is a best deal...

Thread Starter #4

I accept Creta is very very good. But then there are two things - Ground clearance is little better than my present Wagon R. I want a good GC around 195-205mm
Secondly waiting period is 6-8 months. I dont like standing in a que.
Thirdly it is higher than my budget.

My budget is 9.5 -10.0 on road. Ecosport is 10.35 - the middle variant. Avventura is 10.22 on the top variant and Creta is 11.45 the middle variant

I accept Creta is very very good. But then there are two things - Ground clearance is little better than my present Wagon R. I want a good GC around 195-205mm
Secondly waiting period is 6-8 months. I dont like standing in a que.
Thirdly it is higher than my budget.

My budget is 9.5 -10.0 on road. Ecosport is 10.35 - the middle variant. Avventura is 10.22 on the top variant and Creta is 11.45 the middle variant
Then Ecosport will suit you better if not Creta. It offers over 200mm ground clearance with 16 inch wheels I guess!! Balanced ride and handling , better looking than avventura (my perspective) and comfortable driving position .Avventura is also good but I did feel quirky ergonomics compared to mature Ecosport. Anyways Test drive and see what you feel .

Presently I own a Wagon R from 2008. and increasing family size , I am planning to get a new cross - over SUV or CUV.. planning for a disel car and get something different. I have got bored driving the same type of vehicle.
For your requirement, Scorpio would be good option.
Ecosport will not give a big advantage in terms of space if you want to accommodate more passengers. It's space advantage is similar to what you mentioned about the ground clearance of Creta compared to your existing car - marginally better. Same way interior space of Ecosport is only marginally better compared to your existing car.

Scorpio S4 will be almost equal in On road price (10.65 vs 10.35 of Ecosport) but S4 do not have ABS and Air bags.

Scorpio S4+ has both ABS and 2 Air bags (On Road 11.10 in Kolkata). With festival discounts next month you may get a price close to your target.

What you get is proper SUV with 7 seats and can tackle any of those roads.

New generation Scorpio is much better in terms of refinement.

Thread Starter #7
Scorpio - i had taken the test drive . But then I felt its not to be self driven. Its nice to sit beside the driver in a scorpio. Its my personal feeling. Moreover FE is low (!!!).
I have read people telling that the steering of Ecosport is something light and over responsive type? And the vechile is not that stable at spped above 110 kmph in highways. Is this true?
Any fiat car owners ? I want to know about avventura. To me it looks better than EcoSport

Any fiat car owners ? I want to know about avventura. To me it looks better than EcoSport
I have Punto Evo, Fiat offers best engine, build, ride quality and handling. Fiat are more for highways as compared for city drive, you have to keep on shifting in city traffic, i think same case will be there with Avventura.

If you don't want to wait for Creta and Ecosport. Considering your budget and priorities. I think you should try Maruti Suzuki Ertiga, it will fit your budget and demands.

Thread Starter #9
@Abhinish - Maruti - driving from 1998. I want different.

I am stuck between Eco Sport and Avventura.

Can you explain what's the problem in shifting gears? And me, my wife and son prefer to us metro rail for maximum city travelys. Its my father , father-in-law and aged pesons they use for city traffic. Sometimes we use it for having late night dinners etc.
fiat users. Please.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am stuck between Eco Sport and Avventura.

Can u explain what's the problem in shifting gears? And me, my wife and son prefer to us metro rail for maximum city travelys. Its my father , father-in-law and aged pesons they use for city traffic. Sometimes we use it for having late night dinners etc.
fiat users. Please.
You have keep on working on gears in city traffic because i think it is little under powered.

Any day any time between avventura and ecosport, i will go for Ecosport without a doubt as overall it is a much better package compared to Avventura.

I think you can also go for i20 active that offers 190mm of GC. And I think it will fit in your budget too. Other options are Honda Mobilio and pre worshipped(pre owned) vehicles.[:D]

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hello Mr. Chaudhari,
I think creta is the obvious answer but it could shoot your budget.

are you Open to full size SUV like xuv 500 base model or something?
else, how about muv like xylo if family comfort is top priority?. I think you should start test driving all possible cars first. do Take a good look at ertiga once again. it's not bad if it's the saw brand again.

Thread Starter #13
Why isin't anyone advising for Fiat Avventura? Is that car so bad ?

I donot like the drving comfort of full size SUV/MUV . These cars you have riding comfort. moreover its difficult to take these cars to office / workplace everyday in Kolkata traffic and parking space problems

Ertiga is good. Just only want to leave the brand i am seeing from 1998

bhvm

Honoured Member
I will not hesitate to Go for same brand as I've owned. the showroom and Service is familiar, so.are the controls and stuff.

if you're looking for compact vehicle, Have a look at Mahindra tuv 300 which is just launched.

Thread Starter #15
its quite disheartening that Fiat guys are not coming forward with their ideas.
But , then , I have decided to take Test drive of Eco Sport and Avventura. Then decide.

In meantime can anyone tell me about avventura. There is no review here also

Top Bottom